Nightclubs from the 60's

Hiya,

I've just joined your forum after reading loads of articles that brought back happy memories of cafes and clubs I used to visit in my mod days of the 60's!

I used to go to the Ad Lib but can't for the life of me think where on St. Mary's Gate it was... can anyone help please?

Also I used to go to a club on Greyhound Street in Nottingham in the 60's. I believe it became the Cuba Libra in the 80's from what I've read but can't go any further back.

Thanks

Hi and thanks everyone for your kind welcome greetings!

Thanks Hippo Girl for telling me where the Ad Lib/Beachcomber was - I need a trip down memory lane next time I go into town to see where it was! At least I know where I'm looking now! Was the Ad Lib & Beachcomber the same place? Did it change names?

Thanks mick2me, was that the club on Greyhound Street you're talking about?

Hi Handysandy, the ad lib was next door to the beachcomber and could be accessed from the kool kat bar.....you went in the ad lib from st Mary's gate( remember Gwen on the door) and the beachcomber was through a small yard. The bands were down the stairs......the Hippo club, which is where I worked was on bridlesmith gate and is now coco tang bar....still go there !!!!!!!

Hi hippo girl, hence the name!! I used to go to the Hippo Club and had some great nights in there. Thanks for all the useful info. My place was the Dungeon, saw some great groups there, and the Belvedere, sitting on the stairs listening to jazz and eating mushy peas! I used to go to the White Hart downstairs as a mod and we never had any trouble with the Rockers upstairs. even joined them on occasions. Also went to the Brit & Boat clubs, Intercon and The L Shaped Room. Our scooters were parked outside the Council House with no bother and the Lyon was always a good place to meet, and oooh the smell of the coffee from the Kardomah! It's all coming back to me now......

• 2 weeks later...

Hippo girl, long time no see, or chat!

Pretty sure its common knowledge, but as well as frequenting the two aforementioned clubs in the 60's, I

became the resident DJ at The Babel in 79, thru till late 1980, early 81, did you go there then?

Hi hippo girl, hence the name!! I used to go to the Hippo Club and had some great nights in there. Thanks for all the useful info. My place was the Dungeon, saw some great groups there, and the Belvedere, sitting on the stairs listening to jazz and eating mushy peas! I used to go to the White Hart downstairs as a mod and we never had any trouble with the Rockers upstairs. even joined them on occasions. Also went to the Brit & Boat clubs, Intercon and The L Shaped Room. Our scooters were parked outside the Council House with no bother and the Lyon was always a good place to meet, and oooh the smell of the coffee from the Kardomah! It's all coming back to me now......

HandySandy, not from Linby by any chance, boyfriend named Trev' with a scooter?

Hi Craig, hope you are well.....yes still frequented Babels through the 70s...if I remember Ian Clarke was a sometime DJ when the club first opened....He lived over in bridgford, and had been at university with me in Manchester.

No I didnt know him, I actually applied to a firm called New Junktion Discotheques, to be a mobile jock, weddings and functions etc, and at the audition I thought they were saying to me they didnt want me, as it turned out they were saying they thought I,d be a great club DJ, and did I still want to work for them!

I obviously said yes, and I recall a two week stint working at The Heart Of The Midlands with The Dooleys in 79, before covering at a lot of the clubs NJD put DJ,s in, and ended up as resident at The Babel, but it was Dave Ross/Penna and Stewart Barnham and Keith from the audio shop that used to be on Market St called RSC who were the DJ<s then, as well as John Dolby who I have been working with recently at Ambersound FM.

anyone got or know location of any flyers, adverts, photos etc (maybe of the drugs raid?) that'll prove the dungeon was on stanford street and not up the lace market, could not win a heated debate last night about it! by the way if a membership card it'll probably say STAMFORD st on !t! and he won't believe that as genuine lol

anyone got or know location of any flyers, adverts, photos etc (maybe of the drugs raid?) that'll prove the dungeon was on stanford street and not up the lace market, could not win a heated debate last night about it! by the way if a membership card it'll probably say STAMFORD st on !t! and he won't believe that as genuine lol

Not sure if this fits the bill, but going back a couple of years here on Nottstalgia, look at Post #378

http://nottstalgia.c...pic=2352&st=360

• 7 years later...
On 11/19/2012 at 2:53 PM, handysandy said:

Hiya,

I've just joined your forum after reading loads of articles that brought back happy memories of cafes and clubs I used to visit in my mod days of the 60's!

I used to go to the Ad Lib but can't for the life of me think where on St. Mary's Gate it was... can anyone help please?

Also I used to go to a club on Greyhound Street in Nottingham in the 60's. I believe it became the Cuba Libra in the 80's from what I've read but can't go any further back.

Thanks

Ā 

Ā 

Hi it's Trevor wood here what did u want to know

Ā 

HI Trevor Arthur welcomeĀ Ā to our crazy site

Nightclubs?

Scamps

Hippo

Madisons

Dungeon

alsoĀ 

bodega, Heart of the midlands, (now Rock City) The Boat club, Blotts, not all nightclubs but on the sceen hope this list helps jog your memory.

• 4 months later...

A big Welcome to our site my other half worked at Plessey and I remember the night club but sorry can;t recall what it was called but I'm sure some member will know.

againĀ 

Welcome