I remember Knowels on Alfreton Rd well, he had a lot of very bike old stuff and sold car parts later on, I went to school with his son.I also remember Dawson's when they were on Shakespere St, they sold many ex WD bikes.What was the name of the bike shop on Burton St opposite the Town Hall I used to work next door to it and remember a Manx Norton for sale in the window very cheap then as no one wanted them.

• Like 1
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Philmayfield. I've got a photo of Campion's shop on Wheeler gate,the window is full of pushbikes and there's a early Campion motor bike outside. Google Campions Wheeler Gate Nottingham.

#46. I remember Bob's Spares. I once went there for someone and bought a bronze cylinder head for a 500cc Excelsior Manxman. Cost was five pounds, in late 1950s. The chap (Stu Slater, lived on Minver

As a 16 year old I had a bsa 650. I managed to seize it up due to stupidity, lack of knowledge and oil and I swapped it for a Norton es2 and 30 quid (my way) from one of the designers at Raleigh. At o

How many remember Stan Williamson's place on Alfred St or Eric Olivers wheel shop on Alfreton Rd, both great guys always very helpful Eric used to make frames for Brough Superior.

Roy Wharton was another good guy his shop was there for years I used to drool over a cammy Vello motor fitted in a featherbed frame  displayed in his side window "not for sale"

Horace  Rodgers,another one on Alfreton Rd,sold new Honda's Jimmy Needham worked there a good friend of my Dads.

• Like 1

Having second thoughts. Stan Williamson's shop was on Union Rd he was a big mate of Bernard Banks.

Campion's was originally on Station St near the train station they sold new BSA's I remember drooling over a new Goldie which was way out of my reach at  the time.

There was a bike shop at the bottom of Carlton Rd the done a nice paint job on a Vincent tank for me around 1966.

Dick, I wonder if the Bernard Banks you mentioned was my late Uncle??? He was a self employed motor cycle mechanic and used to have a small workshop on Raglan Street many years back. He was my Dads oldest Brother, well half Brother. He never married and lived at Grans house just down the hill on Raglan Street.

He and my Dad's Sister Elsie, were Banks, Gran was widowed at a young age, then she married my Grandad, again widowed a few years later, she had two boys by that marriage, Sid and my Dad, Arthur.

Hi Ayup Yes I would think he's one and only  he had  a really good reputation,I often used him. As mentioned in my earlier posting he had a workshop in Raleigh Mews a real aladin's cave of bike parts.

These type of guys were a breed alone and were sadly missed when they retired. Its all about the money these days.

Hi Ian 123 Yes that was Clarks where we used to get good painting done, a nice crowd of guys. I restored a Vincent Black Shadow in 1965 and their paint job was excellent. I guess they are long gone.

I wonder if Roy Exton's still going I haven't been there since 2006 and he was talking about calling it a day then.

Dick, I wonder if the place you mention on Alfred St was Bob's,Spares?  His place was on the corner of Alfred St Central and Northumberland St and was there certainly from the Forties through to the Sixties redevelopment of St Anns. The premises could have originally been a grocery store as it was fitted out with long wooden counters and shelving like a Marsden`s or Home and Colonial,and the rear  which Bob had as his workshop was perhaps the original stores and delivery area. He occasionally had a bike for sale in the doorway of the workshop on Northumberland St.

• Like 1

There was a small motor cycle spares place on Carlton road near Carlton square,on the left side of the road heading from town,looked like a junk shop but the guy who ran it knew exactly where everything was,he carried most spares for most motorcycles, maybe some were secondhand, can't think of the name,

Rog

Hi Commo I left England over 40 yrs ago so I get a bit confused at times I do not remember Bob's spares but Stan's shop was  on Union Rd for sure.

I do remember  TMS starting up on Colwick Rd in the earyt 60's.I believe they are still going.

Still can't remember the name of the bike shop on Burton st, It was there when I started work in 1962 at O A Whittaker's just about next door.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Dick, I wonder if the Bernard Banks you mentioned was my late Uncle??? He was a self employed motor cycle mechanic and used to have a small workshop on Raglan Street many years back. He was my Dads oldest Brother, well half Brother. He never married and lived at Grans house just down the hill on Raglan Street.

He and my Dad's Sister Elsie, were Banks, Gran was widowed at a young age, then she married my Grandad, again widowed a few years later, she had two boys by that marriage, Sid and my Dad, Arthur.

Bernard was a great chap. A little odd and quiet but very helpful. My wife used to work for a joiners who had the shared the yard and my dad knew Bernard somehow but I don't recall how. I had a Norton ES2 and cross threaded the inlet manifold which was aluminium and quite delicate. Bernard spent ages sorting it out for me. When his workshop was cleared I got some BSA workshop manual given me as I had a BSA by then. 

Dawsons had hundreds of ex army bikes in '46 and '47..a Despatch bike for dirt money! Not biking anymore these days..had the lot ..Rudge Ulsterman was pokey..Barnet..nice

Tiger cub..but the best bike i owned??

Don't laugh...Honda 175..did everything asked of it.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, plantfit said:

There was a small motor cycle spares place on Carlton road near Carlton square,on the left side of the road heading from town,looked like a junk shop but the guy who ran it knew exactly where everything was,he carried most spares for most motorcycles, maybe some were secondhand, can't think of the name,

Rog

I think it was Crosslands.

• Like 1

In 1956 Dad bought a 1947 Norton 18 500 with an adult/child Canterbury sidecar from Dawsons, unfortunately not particularly reliable, he could never seem to get the timing spot on and on occasions suffered scorched trousers from the overheating exhaust!

I know very little about Bernard, can't even recall now what he looked like, Dad never said much about him, Elsie died a few years back, both my late Mum and Dad were close to her, and Dad always kept in touch with his full Brother, who migrated to NZ in the early 1950's, now he was a biker until a few years before he passed on. Always had a motorbike until he had an accident, his wife told him that's the last bike he was having...LOL

Was it St.Marks Street or Curzon Street that sold me a Garelli..did for 9 months..screwed it up going all the way to Marble Arch on rough ground.

Shared a Benelli later with my kid Brother...a great bike..but as always the bluebottles would stop us.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian 123

Yes Guzzi's are a greet machine I've had a few of them including two V7 Sports I still own and ride a very nice 850T. After owning Vincent for many years I just love V twins.

Does anyone remember the name of the bike shop just the other side of Long Eaton they sold mainly BSA parts.

• Like 1

the bike shop used to be run by Alf Buttler he was mechanic to the English pushbike team in the international races,they also had a shop on College St ,there was also Croft motor s and Jeffs and walkers both on Tamworth Rd ,