Hi Willo.  Yes Butlers that was the shop,a friendly guy I bought a new helmet and boots of him in the early 70s. Another one we used to visit  for BSA parts was the other side of Matlock near a old waterwheel he was well stocked with Goldie parts.

Anyone remember the place or name.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Philmayfield. I've got a photo of Campion's shop on Wheeler gate,the window is full of pushbikes and there's a early Campion motor bike outside. Google Campions Wheeler Gate Nottingham.

#46. I remember Bob's Spares. I once went there for someone and bought a bronze cylinder head for a 500cc Excelsior Manxman. Cost was five pounds, in late 1950s. The chap (Stu Slater, lived on Minver

As a 16 year old I had a bsa 650. I managed to seize it up due to stupidity, lack of knowledge and oil and I swapped it for a Norton es2 and 30 quid (my way) from one of the designers at Raleigh. At o

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, denshaw said:

Chris Walker (super bike rider) his parents had a Kawasaki dealers on Hucknall rd, near the prison.

Remember it well - I bought a new ZX10 form there in 1988 and p/x'd my Honda CBX 1000 - big mistake - they're worth a lot of money now ! - Doh.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I bought my first motorbike in 1963 from a large bike shop in Daybrook They were on the opposite side to WA Wing the Velocette agent .

The bike was a Ariel Red Hunter 500,  1958 Reg 451 DMA  one of the very last made a very good low mileage bike.,  I paid £65. Wonder where it is now.

I was hanging over a original Velocette MK 8 KTT, £85 but my dad who owned a Clubmans Venom 500 at the time wanted me to buy a slower bike.

Anyone remember the bike shops name name ?

A friend of mine had a Velo 350, I've done many kick-start dances when my foot slipped. Starting them was definitely a skill that had to be learnt, usually the hard way...

I have still got a 50 cc Itom  bought new from Des Bone in 1965 ,its done 2600 miles and is as new,I would put a photo on but can,t get my head round this computermabob stuff.

when I used to ring Andy  Bones for bits, the coversation usually went along the lines of" hello have you got a so and so bit for a mk8 Itom" " just a moment please DESMOND bloody motor bikes again"this was when they had the little shop on Arkwright Street where the old man built his lovely Paragon pushbikes.

• Like 1

In reply to Dick`s post may 7th. You are probably thinking of Dave Tye.  If you turned left at Cromford crossroads, on the way into Matlock, went up a ways then turned right, he was just on the right. The only place open on a Sunday. Made for a good excuse to go for a burn to Matlock, long before it was fashonable.

After they tore down Wings old shop, a guy by the name of Dave took over the business and relocated to Church Drive. Bought my venom clubman from him. Best 100 quid I spent.

I used to work with John Foot who raced Itoms for Andy Bone. Also worked with Dale Ward who raced a Triumph powered outfit, then later a home-built 3-cylinder two-stroke Saab powered  outfit with all aluminium body work by Ray Petit. I remember being at Snetterton for his first try-out. Clocked at 147mph on the back straight. Fastest thing on 3 wheels at the time. Blew off the likes of the Hank`s,  Chris Vincent, Mick Boddice and the like at Mallory in his first race.His girl-friend at the time was Margaret Beckett  was his passenger and whos dad Terry did the tuning. He was a very respected two-stroke  tuner at that time.

his later passenger was Graham Alcock a good mate of mine who also was on the side of Geoff Gawley ,Graham still has both the outfits he raced in the seventies ,I think Tony Stark ended up with Dales Saab but it had abig Kwack in it

• 1 month later...

In reply to Blackie July 25  I think you are right about Dave Tye.He was in the BSA works scrambles team  1949--54 and done very well, so it seems fitting he would open a shop selling BSA parts.

We called into his shop many times in the 60s on our regular Sunday Aces burn up to Matlock, it was like a club house.  Great days.

• 2 months later...

Coombes Farm, remember it well, on Rob Lane at the top of the hill where the A614 splits into Old Rufford Road to Nottingham and the Oxton bypass to Gunthorpe Bridge. Mansfield Maun Motorcycle Club held meetings there in the 60's. Saw such riders as Arthur Lamkin on his BSA and his brother Alan and Jeff Smith

I remember Stan Williamson: when I was 18 I had an ex-WD rigid-frame Matchless 350 - road holding absolutely vile, and the exhaust valve used to seize open now and again.

Stan had a wonderful line in invective - my favourite was "Never while you've got a hole in your a***!".

• 3 weeks later...

Stan was particularly helpful if you turned up on and old Cammy Norton,Vincent or Vello as I did at times.For a while he rented a shop opposite his and I remember seeing a complete Manx Norton for sale less the engine,apparently someone bought the bike just for the engine as Norton would not sell engines only.Manx engines were popular in small hill climb cars etc.

His best mate Gordon Banks was very upset when Stan died and years later still got emotional if you mentioned Stan's name.Two great guys, not many around like them these day if any..

• 3 months later...

Another guy in the same league as Stan and Gordon was E A  Oliver  ( might be A E)  I seem to thing we called him Erick.

He had a wheel building shop on Alfreton Rd. He worked for George Brough for many years building frames, I was there one day and he was repairing a  rare  4 cylinder Brough bike frame he built many years before.

After he closed the shop he worked around the back for a few years in a workshop that looked like something from the 30s.

A very helpful guy who always had time for a chat.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I just read a  interesting article on the 1939 Velocette  Roarer. I seem to remember this bike was on display at W A Wing  on Mansfield for a while around 1963.

Does anyone remember this.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:20 AM, Dick said:

I just read a  interesting article on the 1939 Velocette  Roarer. I seem to remember this bike was on display at W A Wing  on Mansfield for a while around 1963.

Does anyone remember this.

I don't remember it, never even heard of it but Googled and found this:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0119-348695/1939-velocette-roarer/

The amount of work and skill involved in creating this is phenomenal.  I wonder how much it sold for...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the name of the old garage near Nottm City hospital, maybe on Valley Rd.

The owner was mainly a car dealer but he often had bikes for sale. He was quite a suave guy with a big moustache,he owned a vintage Bently sports car