• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Philmayfield. I've got a photo of Campion's shop on Wheeler gate,the window is full of pushbikes and there's a early Campion motor bike outside. Google Campions Wheeler Gate Nottingham.

#46. I remember Bob's Spares. I once went there for someone and bought a bronze cylinder head for a 500cc Excelsior Manxman. Cost was five pounds, in late 1950s. The chap (Stu Slater, lived on Minver

As a 16 year old I had a bsa 650. I managed to seize it up due to stupidity, lack of knowledge and oil and I swapped it for a Norton es2 and 30 quid (my way) from one of the designers at Raleigh. At o

5 hours ago, denshaw said:

The place opposite the Futurist was a petrol station.

Not sure if we're talking about the same place Den. This is the one I'm thinking of.....it was demolished (and became a big petrol station) in the early 80s, but until then had been a normal garage/car sales place.

ddn3JT8.jpg?1

They were Vauxhall dealers until the late 70s, and I had a Cavalier from them around that time. They were called 'Valley Road Garage'  and I had a sticker in the rear window to prove it..

The land between the Bank and the original Valley road Garage and to the rear of the bank was Thomas Flewitt timber merchant (possibly builder as well) not to be confused with Flewitts the bakers, although may have been related.

All that was demolished for the new petrol station.

I seem to remember it was Texaco or Fina?

I'd remembered there were wooden sheds there but planning confirms it.

1GqbVNa.png

x8WEg0t.png

CT I remember the Futurist well and it's no where near the place I'm thinking about. I've been left Nottm over 40years now so its all a bit hazy.

I had a browse around on google maps an the only place I could find that looks like the old garage is Kings Furniture  Warehouse on Hayden rd not far from Hucknall Rd.

Maybe it was NCV garage as Denshaw suggests

What's now the Viceroy Indian restaurant at Hucknall rd / Perry rd (Prison ) junction used to be a Car sales, that's only a few hundred yards from the  Hospital.

Sherwood Social club, or similar used to be upstairs.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9831203,-1.1581681,3a,75y,48.39h,87.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfVH7mRs4ei1XxLE3R754fg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On 12/6/2012 at 1:03 PM, catfan said:
On 11/23/2012 at 7:07 AM, John boy said:

There was Kings around where the Nottingham Post is now. TMS on Carlton rd i think it is still there. Dawsons in Netherfield.

Must be some more.

TMS are still there, bought a 3TA Triumph from there in Nov 68 for £79 !

Dawson's been gone a couple of years now , now a fence company .

In reply to Ian Simpson. There was Dawson's on Shakespeare St, they sold a lot of ex WD bike in the early sixties I bought a nice 1959 Triumph Trophy off them in 1964, they later moved to Netherfield. There was also a bike shop on Burton St not far up from Trinity Square.

I worked very close by and often had a look in,  a nice original Manx Norton sat in their window for ages  £ 140 (I think) but no one was interested in those days.

Anyone remember the name of the shop

Hi Cliff Ton  How did you attach the map to your post?  I've tried attaching some photo's and can't do it.  I think I need a program for this.

Not exactly a program, just an image-hosting site.

Look at this link and take your pick from one of the choices.   https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting&oq=free+ima&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j35i39j0j69i61l2.7836j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You need to register with one of them, and then follow their instructions. Don't use Photobucket.

There's so many bike shops closed over the years but nothing compered to the Pubs that have closed, there must be at least six closed on Alfreton Rd alone from Bentick Rd to Canning Circus.    Check out Nottstalgia "pubs closed in Nottingham"

Its a shame to see so many of my old  venues closed, you could have a good night out on Alfreton Rd without going into town .

I Lived just around the corner on Forest Rd, my favorite was the Vernon top of Waverly St, now another supermarket.

8 hours ago, Dick said:

There's so many bike shops closed over the years but nothing compered to the Pubs that have closed,

There's a very big, old thread on that subject which mentions dozens of pubs.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/2341-pubs-closing-down/?tab=comments#comment-5144

• 3 months later...

There used to be a motorbike shop on Alfreton rd, roughly between Skills and Halls the locksmith, but for the life of me, can't remember the name. Bought a Yamaha 350 from them in 1972 reg no YTV 16K.