On 12/26/2012 at 9:00 AM, catfan said:

Ralph Holmes had two shops, one on Radford Road which was demolished to make way for the new police station along with the old Valve Shop which was also demolished.

They were Raleigh moped dealers & Raleigh cycle delers as well. For the life of me I can't remember where the second shop was situated.

A cousin of mine bought a moped from there about 1966, reg number GAU 82 D, funny how some things stick in your mind.

Bugger me.... Ralph's daughter Sally was me wife until she passed.... His second shop was on the Rylands the he ended up with a Honda dealership on Ilkeston road

• Like 1
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Philmayfield. I've got a photo of Campion's shop on Wheeler gate,the window is full of pushbikes and there's a early Campion motor bike outside. Google Campions Wheeler Gate Nottingham.

#46. I remember Bob's Spares. I once went there for someone and bought a bronze cylinder head for a 500cc Excelsior Manxman. Cost was five pounds, in late 1950s. The chap (Stu Slater, lived on Minver

As a 16 year old I had a bsa 650. I managed to seize it up due to stupidity, lack of knowledge and oil and I swapped it for a Norton es2 and 30 quid (my way) from one of the designers at Raleigh. At o

On 3/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, ube said:

Bugger me.... Ralph's daughter Sally was me wife until she passed.... His second shop was on the Rylands the he ended up with a Honda dealership on Ilkeston road

I bought a new Honda CB 77 from Horace Rogers reg number GAU 60D, a good little bike,went to the TT races on it that year.I followed up later with  a Honda CB 450 Black Bomber, it went well but I liked the CB77 better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, Waddo said:
On 5/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, denshaw said:

Chris Walker (super bike rider) his parents had a Kawasaki dealers on Hucknall rd, near the prison.

He now has a Kawasaki dealership in Grantham.

I worked at foxes kawasaki center on Mapperley.... Which was started by Stan Fox of Fox sewing machines... Anyroad I was good friends with the walkers baby sitting chris as a young lad and later he was best man at me wedding and then when Sally died he was there for me and me boys 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I moved up here from North London, back in 1991. The bike shops I recall in the 90's were Wheelcraft on Radford Road where I bought a Yamaha XJ900F from, Twistgrip just up the road from Wheelcraft, but on the opposite side. Two Wheel Centre on Ilkeston Road, run by a guy people called Terry Two Wheels. Granby Motors also on Radford Road where I confess to buying a Yamaha RXS100. Pidcocks Motorcycles who used to be on Mapperley Top, bought Honda CG125 and Triumph Sprint from them. Daybrook Motorcycles in Daybrook Square (Fowlers and CMC later) and Andy Bone (Honda dealer) who was on Huntingdon Street. There was (and still is) that old British bikes dealer on Carlton Road and finally Needhams on Ilkeston Road opposite the old Players factory.

TMS on Carlton Road is the old British bike dealer - mainly Triumphs up to the mid 80's models. - I still visit regularly - old British bikes always need something or other.

• Like 1

;)  I bought a 3T from a guy down the street for £4 (about 1958), I think I related what happened to it some time ago...

8 hours ago, Kipperfeet said:

. Two Wheel Centre on Ilkeston Road, run by a guy people called Terry Two Wheels

Was owned by Ralph Holmes my father in law... Terry was one of the mechanics.. Terry's dad was the shop manager I think round about 1988/90 Terry brought the business off Ralph

Looks like it could be a bumpy ride:laughing:

• 9 months later...

One bike shop I have not seen mentioned  Is Campions they were near the Central Railway on Station St ( I think). I remember drooling over all the new bike in there showroom window in the early 60's.  Campions had a long history associated with motorbikes and made there own bikes in the 20's--30's I think it was  the same company.

35 minutes ago, Dick said:

One bike shop I have not seen mentioned  Is Campions 

Hi Dick , if you type "Campions" into the search function  on the home page , plenty of hits come up .

There's plenty of info on the old pre-war Campion motorcycles,but i cannot find anything about their motorbike shop  of the 60's. I think they were BSA agents.

An advert from the "Bicycles for Sale"  column in the  E.P. Nov 1st 1950.

VISIT
Campions Station Street , (opposite L.M.S. Station) the largest display of Cycles in Nottingham, immediate delivery of B.S.A and Sunbeam Cycles, cash or terms.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dick said:

There's plenty of info on the old pre-war Campion motorcycles,but i cannot find anything about their motorbike shop  of the 60's. I think they were BSA agents.

Didn't they have a shop on the corner of Carrington Street and Canal Street?

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm012943/posterid/ntgm012943.html

Looking through old phone directories, I've solved the problem of the motorbike shops in that area.

This one was Kingstons.....

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm012943/posterid/ntgm012943.html

This one was Campions...

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm001232/posterid/ntgm001232.html

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Previously mentioned Dennis Rogers was a member of The Clifton and District mcc which met at The Railway Club on Wilford Road on Tuesdays.

Two of us to go to The Elephant Rally in 1970 bought from him a Panther 120 complete with D/A sidecar for £25 which needed extensive repair. We set off with hope, and she never missed a beat the whole 900 miles return journey. Afterwards a guy cam up on the train from Southampton and set off for home. I never knew if he made it.

• 10 months later...

Going back to my post about Campion's I just found out their original shop which sold mainly Campion pushbikes was on Wheeler Gate in 1926,not sure when they moved. The photo is in Old Nottingham Pictures

Philmayfield. I've got a photo of Campion's shop on Wheeler gate,the window is full of pushbikes and there's a early Campion motor bike outside. Google Campions Wheeler Gate Nottingham.

• Like 2