'Reading the Riot Act'

If we were being unruly as kids, my mum would threaten to "read the riot act" - It was a long time before I discovered the real meaning, but I will still use the phrase today - much to Mary's confusion!

And it will all happen over again now the government have their Robocops all ready with their sprays and fazers.Like the miners strike, they have the thugs all ready to move in on a population sick of the rich few running the country.Peaceful demonstrations or not we'll do as were bloody well told ....or else!

• Upvote 2

Must confes I'd never paid much attention to the original meaning of this phrase but I came across it again in a great little story on the Arnold History site yesterday.

And the magistrate who called in the troops had a Drive named after him!!

So he did! (And maybe even a village?)

There was a similar calling out of the dragoons at the turn off to Papplewick on the Mansfield Road near Seven Mile House. In that instance to repel a large group of Luddites that had gathered and joined forces from Arnold and Hucknall,

As stated above, nothing much changes.

I believe the Riot Act was also read in the famous disturbances of 1831, when protesters set fire to the Castle and Colwick Hall.

The troops involved were those stationed at the Nottingham Barracks on Barrack Lane, near the Derby Road end of The Park.

The Riot Act (1714)

Proclamation:

"Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God Save the King!"