Looking for 12 Victoria Villas Sneinton Dale Nottingham

I am trying to get information about where my dad lived when he was born. His bc said 12 Victoria Villas Sneinton Dale Nottingham. I am looking for pictures as it is not shown on google maps. Were they demolished? He was born in 1926.

His name was Ronald Thomas Coy. Parents were Thomas Edward Coy and Ada Denham. Thanks.

According to my copy of Kelly's directory of 1928 there was a William Henry Denham(Box factory manager) living at 12 Victoria Villas.

Was William your grandfather?

William Henry Denham was my grandma's dad...my great grandpa(Ada Denham's dad). Who else was at this address? I am not familar with Kelly's Directory. Can I get access to this information? Thanks.

William Henry Denham was my grandma's dad...my great grandpa(Ada Denham's dad). Who else was at this address? I am not familar with Kelly's Directory. Can I get access to this information? Thanks.

I think the links bellow best answers your question.

http://search.ancest...71&o_sch=Search

http://kellysdirectories.com/

I've been at the County Archives today, mainly for my own stuff, but decided to look up a few bits and pieces which had appeared on Nottstalgia.

In Bedell's Street Directory, the standard street listing for the first half of the 20th century, if you look up Victoria Villas you are cross-referred to 13 Sneinton Dale, which doesn't quite make sense, and doesn't fit in with the Kelly's idea of Vic Villas being between Holroyd and Finsbury.

I've been at the County Archives today, mainly for my own stuff, but decided to look up a few bits and pieces which had appeared on Nottstalgia.

In Bedell's Street Directory, the standard street listing for the first half of the 20th century, if you look up Victoria Villas you are cross-referred to 13 Sneinton Dale, which doesn't quite make sense, and doesn't fit in with the Kelly's idea of Vic Villas being between Holroyd and Finsbury.

Thanks for looking into this for me. If you figure anything out, please post.

hello and wellcome tannis,

there were quite a large family of coy,s in the netherfield area of nottingham in the 1950s i had two in my class my friend christine and john who were cousins and i know that there were at least 4 more families of coys who lived in netherfield and they were all related to each other .sneinton is not that far from netherfield about 4 miles so it is a possibillity they could be related to you. do tou know your father full date of birth you could apply for his birth certificate it whould give you his parents names and were he was born but it might only give you the city ie nottingham or derby ect but its a start as he was born to late for the published cencus at the moment.i think you can apply on line or at least look up how and were to apply for it on line.

babs

My dad (Ronald Thomas Coy) was born April 16, 1922 in Nottingham at 12 Victoria Villas Sneinton Dale. His parents were Thomas Edward Coy and Ada Denham. My dad had two siblings at the time.... Dororthy and Irene. If the above information is correct, his family was living with William Henry Denham. This information was taken from his birth certificate that I have. They left Nottingham in 1926 and immigrated to Canada.

• 3 months later...

Hi Tannis,

I do believe we are second or third cousins. After doing some casual research of my Mothers relatives I stumbled across your post and knew immediately that we are related. My maternal grandmother was Hilda Fanny Coy (married Charles Henry Newbury ) who is Thomas' sister and had 9 children (one died in infancy of Spanish infuenza). There was also a brother Walter. Hilda & Chas emmigrated to Canada in 1929 to Winnipeg, Manitoba. I believe Thomas & Ada were already settled there at that time along with Thomas' mother Annie Elizabeth Coy.

My mothers name was (note the name ) Dororthy Irene Newbury born 1927( married Frank Douglas Bell in 1947) is still living and has 7 children scattered all across the western provinces and Washington state, US

It's nice to see someone else doing research as I have not found it easy to locate much

cheers

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

YES....we are related. My paternal grandfather, Thomas Coy married Ada Denham and had 4 children. My dad (Ronald Thomas) and three sisters (Dororthy, Irene and Joyce) all who are deceased. They lived in Nottingham until they came over to Canada in 1926. They came over on the Montroyal boat leaving from Liverpool and came to Montreal. They then moved to Winnipeg. So your grandparents were in Winnipeg when my grandparents came. I always wondered why they chose Winnipeg when they came to Canada but now I know why.

Hope we can share more information.

• 1 year later...

I know this topic has been quiet for over a year, but earlier today whilst looking for something else I accidentally discovered the answer to Tannis' original question. Victoria Villas still exist, and the building is still labelled, and thanks to Streetview I can prove it. https://goo.gl/maps/9sS3f

Zoom out of Streetview to get a wider perspective of Sneinton Dale.

• Like 1

I HAD a friend owned one of them,he also had the shop a bit lower down 'Paper Lad' in the 80s. would love to know what became of them Garry and Sharon Burton.They went to live in Spain and i lost the address.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the posts. I follow this regularity. Please confirm if I am correct....the place where my dad lived at 12 Victoria Villa is no longer standing but there are some houses still there, just not the row of houses shown in the first picture from picture the past photos. When were they demolished and why? Why did some of the stay ( the ones closest to Granby Villas) ?What was build there instead? How many rooms were there inside the houses?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to any replies.

Tannis

From an advert in 1933 , Nottingham Evening Post .

" LARGE Family House, 12 Victoria-villas, Sneinton- dale, dining, drawing, billiard-rooms, five bedrooms, two w.c.'s "

And an earlier advert in 1913 for a housekeeper to look after a doctor living at that address .

Thanks for all the posts. I follow this regularity. Please confirm if I am correct....the place where my dad lived at 12 Victoria Villa is no longer standing but there are some houses still there, just not the row of houses shown in the first picture from picture the past photos.

No, I think they are still standing, repeating my link from post #18, this one https://goo.gl/maps/9sS3f

That shows the buildings as they are today. I think what has happened is that the numbering along the road has changed. Previously they were called XX Victoria Villas, whereas now they are just part of Sneinton Dale. (Look at that image and you can clearly see no. 37).

Thanks for letting me know that they are still standing and that the house numbers have changed. The one at the far end at the corner of Holby is where my dad and his family lived until they moved to Canada in 1926. It is so nice to see where he lived when he was 4 years old before coming over to Canada on the Montroyal boat departing from Liverpool.

• 6 years later...

Strange how things stick in the memory.

Looking on eBay recently I saw this postcard for sale; the address is 4 Victoria Villas. Not far away from Tannis's original query.

NZ9nkXh.jpg

And although the thread started in 2012, Tannis has logged in here in the last year so may see this.

• 9 months later...