Looking for 12 Victoria Villas Sneinton Dale Nottingham

I am still very interested in this information. I am probably travelling to Nottingham next summer. I have met one of my relatives on line and want to see and talk a bit more about my heritage. All my close relatives that would have some knowledge of my dad's family have since passed. My daughter and I visited Nottingham about 5 years ago. 

You may already know this, but digging around in old Directories I found a couple of references to William Henry Denham in the early 1900s.

The first shows the cardboard box factory on Fisher Gate; and the second shows he lived at 26 Robin Hood Chase.

NMbKR7C.jpg

• 1 year later...

I’ve never before seen the postcard you posted CT but it’s quite interesting for me as my Great Grandparents lived on Sneinton Dale and at some stage on Loughborough Avenue, off the Dale.  Their surname was Croft.  I have a shoebox full of postcards my Grandad sent home to his mother in the early 1900s when he was working all over the country as an electrician on the Boots shopfitting team.  I’m pretty sure I have another postcard in that box that was sent from someone called ‘Moult’.  Now that would be a coincidence wouldnt it?!

I'd forgotten I ever found that postcard - even though it's only 2 years ago.  Nice to see a proper Nottstalgia subject reappear. And further proof of the old theory that everyone on Nottstalgia is ultimately connected to everyone else.

32 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve never before seen the postcard you posted CT but it’s quite interesting for me as my Great Grandparents lived on Sneinton Dale and at some stage on Loughborough Avenue, off the Dale.  Their surname was Croft.

...and also had a Clifton connection ?

• Like 1

Yes, my Mum’s brother lived in Clifton and his two sons are still there, with the name Croft.  I’m going to go through my shoebox of postcards now!  

On 12/2/2012 at 9:10 AM, Bubblewrap said:

I miss read Kelly's

Granby & Victoria Villas before Holroyd Avenue & situated after number 11 Sneinton Dale (Dale Street end) resident Albert Porter chimney sweeper.

I knew someone named Porter on Sneinton Dale. Further up in the council houses. Worked with my father at the ROF. Can't for the life of me remember his first name. Probably not relevant anyway.

I’ve gone through hundreds of postcards in my shoe box (the majority being 110+ years old) and can’t find the one I thought was there.  The addresses of my Grandad’s family before he married my Grandmother (who was widowed in WW1) were 12 Loughborough Avenue and then 113 Sneinton Boulevard.  It’s been interesting and often very amusing to read the postcards. My Grandad worked all over the country, coming back home often at weekends with his washing.  He sent postcards home from wherever he was based, asking his mother to send ‘parcel’ (clean washing) or 10/- to him at such addresses as ‘c/o Boots Cash Chemist, High Street, Cheltenham.’  One postcard was sent from Cherbourg, telling his Mum he’d got the weekend off work so taken a trip to France.  Bet he didn’t didn’t need a passport in those days, it would have been on a steam ship too.  

EDIT.   Just looked on Google and 113 Sneinton Boulevard is next door to an old Marsdens shop, wonder if our Ben did a stint there?  

9 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Just looked on Google and 113 Sneinton Boulevard is next door to an old Marsdens shop, wonder if our Ben did a stint there?  

That Marsdens..... https://maps.app.goo.gl/cfLnPVHt3q65ZsQT9 ....has been mentioned here before in the other thread.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/8783-farrands-marsdens-maypole-dewhurst-vg-vernons-etc/?tab=comments#comment-108397

Ben gets everywhere.

Yes @lizzieM......Did a couple of stints there as a young Teenager......they had what we called a ''Bacon Window''....and i was kept busy keeping it well displayed............remember teaching a relief Manager how to ''Bone a side of Bacon''.......but what i recall most about that store was the lovely customers and the friendly ''Banter'' they gave me.......today no doubt they would call it ''Harrasment''.....the older women were worst (best)...with their 'Inuendo's'' (sp)...which i couldn't possibly repeat on here....

• Upvote 1