Embassy Ballroom Old Town Hall Bulwell

• 1 month later...

The photos above were taken by myself , in 2009 Myself & my partner renovated a very run down embassy ballroom in to The new home for Take 5 Theatre school of dancing , the photos above was after renovation , During renovation we found many items of memorabilia such as old cigerette packets, letters, an old army hat , it was most enjoyable bringing the old town hall back to life.

would love to see some photos of when it was a ballroom but so far no one seems to have found any, but i've spoken to many people who have had happy memories dancing there.

• Upvote 1

nice pics not a place i know other than from the out side do you own the building or just lease it looks a nice place.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont own the building just lease it, but we did do ALL the renovation work to the top floor ourselves, it had been empty for 5 yrs before we moved in so was pretty much a bomb site, took us 6 months to renovate as there was such alot to do, the last business to be in there before us was a sewing machine factory.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, A Hart. To me, this is what Nottstalgia is all about. Someone has a memory of times gone by but has no photo or memento of the occasion. They put a post on Nottstalgia and get two fabulous photos to download. The only other thing I would say is that a 'thank you' would have been nice. Maybe I'm being silly but I was brought up in an era when we did say 'thank you'.

and a thank you from me to you have made a good job of it only hope the owners appreciate your hard work in improving there building and give you a reduction in rent.

:biggrin: Welcome: A Hart. Pardon my curiosity but are you Miss Amanda, who runs the dance school at *Bulwell's Old Town Hall?

And pardon again for another curiosity: is it true that you are moving to the Art Deco style, Northern Library just up the road? I hope that what I have heard on the grapevine is true, because it concerned me that this 1930's Library would become another one of Nottingham's fatalities.

It would be wonderful if you could give this beautiful building a new lease of life. I also heard on the grapevine of the fund raising that you intend to do - then you have my vote.

* PS: It was mentioned the other day to me that this building was never a Town Hall! :)

The only other thing I would say is that a 'thank you' would have been nice. Maybe I'm being silly but I was brought up in an era when we did say 'thank you'.

Yes indeed but in fairness it looks as though the initial poster has not revisited since the photographs were added.

'Last Active Nov 27 2012 10:42 PM'

good luck if you manage to get the libary i am sure you will make improvements on that too.

Hi Yes I am Amanda Hart who runs the dance school and will be soon moving in to the old bulwell Library , we do intend to keep this a building of beauty,

At the moment we are fund raising to help with the renovation costs, and thank you for your comments its nice to know people are happy we're moving in.

Theres some really good photos of the old bulwell library on the website picture the past

Even though the old town hall is called the old town hall but originally it was called the public hall but it was never a public owned building it has always been privately owned, During the years its has many uses , during the 2nd world war it housed many soldiers , during our renovation work we found discharge papers, a army hat, part of a army belt, and a barrel that they used for cleaning their guns with but we think they stored their ciggeretes in.

• Upvote 2

good luck with your new venture not only helping keep history alive but helping children and adults stay active and heathy.

• 3 months later...

my friends grandson merlin comes to your dance school

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Glad people like the parquet floor, it took a lot to restore as it was hiding under carpet tiles but it was definitely worth it as its such a beautiful floor , The dance school love being at The Old Library its such a lovely building with a lovely atmosphere :-)

post-4988-0-08625100-1370301128_thumb.jp

Hi AHart,

The room looks very nice,What a lovely shiny floor,plenty of pivots and shasis to come on there.My hubby and i took up Ballroom dancing 2 yrs ago and love it,we belong to a West Midland dance School called Dance-x-Treme,have you heard of us,i wish you every success at The Old Library

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw some pictures of the new Bulwell Riverside Centre. The interior of this building are very impressive. In fact, it's a world class building. The facilities that its offering look to be good too. Have to have a look at it when I'm over..1005866_136512879881421_798482702_n.jpg