How to post attachments?

Can anybody please advise how to post attachments (in general - not just pics). Maybe it's obvious but I can't see how.

Tried the 'Me Media' button and clicked on 'attachments' to see a couple of old pics I'd posted, don't understand how to add new ones though.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers folks.

Not too concerned about this particular attachment, Mick, just asking generally. For ref purposes though it's 261 KB (267,387 bytes) and a Png image. It's a 'snip' from the Nottigham Post site's front page.

Stu, is this "post attachments" different to the normal way of putting a photo in the middle of a post? (which you - and most others - do without any problem)

I think you mean using the "Attach files" button which appears when you click on the "More reply options" button.

It tells me I have a limit of 50kb, which is almost useless, so I've never attempted to use it.

The limit on "attached" file size is because those files are then stored at the forums host - which can take up a LOT of space if it is not controlled, in turn leading to either higher costs (for storage space), or the forum shutting down when the storage limits are met. By linking to a file, the file storage remains at a remote location avoiding the problems of storage limitations here!

There is one problem.

When we lose a member we have no access to their photobucket etc?

Remote images Images will eventually disappear from their account and any posts they have made.

I had considered asking members to entrust us with their account details.

We were about 200k below our limit on the last host.

I would love to host all images on this site but it would work out too expensive.