Peoples College 60's - 70's

Seen mention in a few posts about Peoples College.

Wandered if many members here had attended there in the 60's ?

I was in the electrical engineering courses from 64 to 67, then I did a year at Arnold & Carlton college, then day release back at Peoples for another 2 years.

I attended at an annexe place on corner of Canal street/ London road for the first couple of years as it was night school - 3 nights per week.

Then moved up to the main building for my final City & Guilds 3rd year, did a bridging course at Arnold & Carlton for a year, then back to Peoples for my advanced Tech certificate.

Remember a teacher called Tony Hinds but very little else of that time. But then again it was all happening around us then, nightclubs, girls, all night parties and lots of more memorable things!

Funnily enough I met a chap here in oz earlier this year and he attended there but doing a different course as he worked for the Gas Board !

I went to Peoples 1968-1972.

Electricians certificate and 1st year of Electrical Technicians Cert.

I remember Brooksy who took us for Regs.

He always seemed to know what to teach us in the run up to the exams :)

There was also an annex in the old single story concrete school buildings on Huntingdon Street.

Wardy

I worked for Taggs too ! well 63- 66 anyway ! Maybe you knew my cousin they called him Hadge (Dennis), Johnny Miles, oh and Phil Tagg the bosses son !

Martin Kearns and Ray Tagg in the stores.

Where in oz are you now ?

I started with GT Ranby, did a few months at People's in 1963 before I took on an indentured apprenticeship with the NCB...Can't recall any of the teachers, but one who took us for elec tech used to write everything on the blackboard and we had to copy it verbatum longhand!!

worked with johnny miles on wimpey houses

went to s africa in 74 with tagg had a great time

we have lived in christchurch 25 years but spend most of the time in queensland now

Remember our maths teacher in the final C&Guilds course was an ex RAF pilot from the war and he used to explain a particular theory in maths, by explaining how he crashed his spitfire on the downwards slope of the only hill in Holland and he escaped unscathed due to the angle of the decent and the hill ! which in his words proved the particular theory! sumefin like that anyway !

On day release we had to have one period of english for some stupid reason, anyway we found out that to pass the course you only needed 30% attendance so when that lesson came up we used to go to the pictures at the Odeon or walk around town and have a coffee !

Remember having to enroll for work related courses at a college at the bottom of Hucknall Road in 1964. Was this an annexe of Peoples? I know that we did not take day release course there but at a school on the corner of Forest Road and Mount Hooton road in the morning, then at Claremont school in the evening. Luckily this was only for the first year course, and then had the option of continuing next 2 years on correspondence course saving having to walk up Hucknall Rd from Friar Lane in the bitter weather which I seem to remember every Monday night threw at us!

There was another college in West Bridgeford, I don't know if that was part of the Peoples College, but did a one day ten hour course on grinders and grinding wheels to comply with S&H regulations when I worked for British Gypsum, I still have that certificate and paperwork somewhere. Most boring course I've ever been on, never realised there was so much involved in grinding wheels and the changing of them...

• 3 weeks later...

Clarendon College! That was the place I couldn't remember the name of. Thanks Katyjay for jogging my memory in the Woodborough thread.

I believe Clarendon College also trained Chefs..............

64- 72 C&G both at mm way & college st

Started off doing 3 nights then after 3 bloddy years no more nights only days but didnt realise we had to start over from scratch.

And the grand reward was 50p a week raise which i didnt get i got terminated instead as now i cost to much.

I often wondered where all the electrical and other apprentices were working.

Peoples was crawling with them.

I found out when I came out of my time.I was made redundant.

Never went back to electrical, apart from wiring my own houses. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Used to go to the Nottingham and District Technical College Shakespeare Street late forties early fifties doing an E.M.E.U.( East Midland Educational Union) course in Bookbinding. The main branch of the Nottingham City Library was in the same building. Believe it's now part of Nottingham University ?.

Dennis

Used to go to the Nottingham and District Technical College Shakespeare Street late forties early fifties doing an E.M.E.U.( East Midland Educational Union) course in Bookbinding. The main branch of the Nottingham City Library was in the same building. Believe it's now part of Nottingham University ?.

Dennis

Interesting that, Dennis. Assuming you mean the Arkwright building and associated structures around it on Shakespeare Street which became Trent Polytechnic and is now Nottingham Trent University (as opposed to University of Nottingham)?

I ask because in the same buildings I did my training in the 1970s for the print trade (compositor). Part of my early training was 'broad based' in other areas of the print trade and one of those areas was book binding. Folding, binding, gold blocking and all that stuff. It wasn't directly my job but it was interesting at the time. Remember doing 'perfect binding' by hand.

A few modern-day pics here in a blog I wrote a while back.

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2010/10/17/early-term/

Interesting that, Dennis. Assuming you mean the Arkwright building and associated structures around it on Shakespeare Street which became Trent Polytechnic and is now Nottingham Trent University (as opposed to University of Nottingham)?

I ask because in the same buildings I did my training in the 1970s for the print trade (compositor). Part of my early training was 'broad based' in other areas of the print trade and one of those areas was book binding. Folding, binding, gold blocking and all that stuff. It wasn't directly my job but it was interesting at the time. Remember doing 'perfect binding' by hand.

A few modern-day pics here in a blog I wrote a while back.

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2010/10/17/early-term/

Yes! Stu it was the old Arkwright building, one wing of it was bombed during WWll. You mentioned some of the old processes of bookbinding which gradually disappeared which was one of the reasons I left the print industry after 22 years. Lots of changes took place after the war, Flexiback binding which did away with a lot of books being sewn, I used to enjoy gilding and marbling book edges, but a gilding machine was introduced using gold foil instead of gold leaf which was applied by hand and burnished with an agate burnisher. Marbled edges and endpapers were done in a tray of jelly which we made by boiling up carrageen moss, the colours were sprinkled on the jelly surface and the endpapers or book edges were dipped into the jelly.

Dennis