Whether it's PC or just plain daft...here's a couple to start it off.

Stanley, in County Durham, spent 10,000 pounds on a Christmas tree and the lights for it. 1500 people turned up to see Ross Adams, from the tv soap Emmerdale, turn on the lights. 1 hour after the event the Durham County Council had the tree dismantled and removed. The reason....someone could get electocuted by the lights.

When schools and clubs have events everyone mucks in and helps out. This could be running the stalls, making cakes and sandwiches or getting wet sponges thrown at them etc. Not at a primary school in Sheffield, though. The Council has banned parents from donating homemade cakes to sell at the Christmas Fair unless they hold a food hygiene certificate. Daft, I call it.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

POLITICIANS PLEASE PAY ATTENTION ! ‘Entitlement’ my eye, I paid good money for my State Pension and other benefits!!!! Just because they borrowed that money, doesn't make my benefits some kind of char

When I was a kid in Nottingham, I used to enjoy the field trips, some were abroad or trips to London etc. These trips took the kids out of their comfort zones and helped them to adapt to different sit

For those who were wondering....    

Ridiculous!!! How far is this health and safety rubbish going to go before it goes too far?

it's not health & safety, it's the insurance companies who drive up premiums for such events to cover litigation, councils can't afford premiums so just cancel all events......................bloody crazy, but that's the world we live in............................

It's litigation culture which causes it. The legal profession have given some people the idea that if anything ever happens to them, they should sue.

It's not so much that the council are bothered about someone getting electrocuted on xmas lights - but if someone was stupid enough to touch those lights and electrocute themselves, they would then be encouraged to sue the council. So the council take away the possibility that might happen. Otherwise they'd have to pay out in legal bills, either in compensation, or in fighting the case.

It's litigation culture which causes it. The legal profession have given some people the idea that if anything ever happens to them, they should sue.

It's not so much that the council are bothered about someone getting electrocuted on xmas lights - but if someone was stupid enough to touch those lights and electrocute themselves, they would then be encouraged to sue the council. So the council take away the possibility that might happen. Otherwise they'd have to pay out in legal bills, either in compensation, or in fighting the case.

True, and in addition to Cliff Ton's point, it is the prospect of corporate manslaughter etc that is a major driver, if there is a corporate failure the CEO or other officers could, in extreme circumstances, end up doing time.

Welcome to my world! I have worked in engineering support for the product liability industry (mostly for the defence) for over thirty years. If you think it is getting bad over there - try it here, where liability adds approximately $5,000 to the cost of every new car you buy and liability insurance for a doctor can run close to a million a year! Unfortunately, mostly due to the ATLA, we do not have the "English" law which states that if you bring a liability suit and loose, you pay all the defense costs - it tends to level the field a little. Over here you can file suits ad-infinitum for the stupidest reason and very few states (New York is the only one I know of) have penalties for frivolous suits!

one of the thing we were not allowed to do when cooking with children was let them get the left oers out the mixing bowl and eat it due to raw eggs in the mixture, try explaining to a five year old that they carnt do it when mum allows them to do it at home. and you really want to let them used to be the best part of baking with mum or at school.

• Upvote 1

The egg one's stupid, if people knew what free range eggs eat, they'd never eat another egg in their lives...... And I know I'd NEVER eat a store sold egg, I know what goes into their feed mixture, and it does get into the egg via the chook!!

The egg one's stupid, if people knew what free range eggs eat, they'd never eat another egg in their lives......

Go on , give us a clue, what do free range eggs eat ? Me? never seen an egg eat owt !

• Upvote 1

Meant chooks....My fingers go faster than my slow old brain cell these days......LOL You still wouldn't want to know what they eat...LOL

Don't feed them what Kev?? Chooks like lots of things when left to themselves, they are better mousers than a cat! The only thing I have noted with chickens is they hate roaches, they avoid them like the plague.

It's funny watching a chicken catch a mouse, the others want it so they have a tug of war with it..

My friends daughter attends an infant school near Bulwell. They are rehearsing the Christmas play but this year there is a difference. It is a non religious, non cultural show with plenty of the kids dessed as animals. This is a Christian country and Christmas is about Jesus and events in his life so why do some teachers find it a problem to do a nativity play at this time. Maybe the Politically Correct brigade don't want to upset the Muslims etc but they certainly upset a lot of Christians.

Non Christian..non religious? Good idea,the majority of the country couldn't give a toss about Christianity anyway...They don't go to church,pray, even know what the local vicar looks like.So why bother if the Christmas crap is done away with?

Christian country...yeah,100 years ago...not now...so why worry about stuff like this? Ask any kid what Easter is about and they'll say 'Eggs'

I find it strange how you can know so much about the private lives of the people in this country, poohbear. It's not a rule that you have to go to church to be a Christian and a church is not the only place where you can pray. An atheist, like you seem to be, has every right to their opinion and who can say they are wrong. Christianity, and every other religion, is a belief that people have in their hearts and people can pray in their minds while travelling on the top deck of a number 43 bus to Bulwell Market. My reply to you, poohbear is meant in a nice way and I must say how much I always enjoy reading your posts.

• Upvote 4

not being a christian myself i always say i am agnostic each to there own belifes but i am ver much a traditionalist and so many of our british traditions are being shoved to one side so as not to offend our multy cultral community but most of the ordanary different cultured people i have spoken too are not offended by our traditions and when i lived in lenton dunkirk would happily join in our celibrations as we joined in and learnt about theres too. its the stupidity of polititians and heritics on all sides that cause more problems than they solve.

• Upvote 1

Happy December everyone, and Goodwill to all men, except of course the out and out Barsards :)

To be absolutely politically correct, I think you have to add "and women" - although, since "goodwill to men" is in the Bible, the whole phrase might now be regarded as illicit, offensive and likely to cause offence, distress, humiliation, outrage... etc. etc. etc. But still, at the risk of being clapped in irons, I reciprocate your kindly greeting. And since I have now offended nearly everybody, I might was well finish with a union flag as well - so there! unionflag

• Upvote 1