In answer to the first part, only as a kid by kids, not as an adult (To my face any way,) it may happen behind my back on a forum by a 'keyboard hero' or two, in fact I KNOW it happens behind my back .

And to the second part. Precisely

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

POLITICIANS PLEASE PAY ATTENTION ! ‘Entitlement’ my eye, I paid good money for my State Pension and other benefits!!!! Just because they borrowed that money, doesn't make my benefits some kind of char

When I was a kid in Nottingham, I used to enjoy the field trips, some were abroad or trips to London etc. These trips took the kids out of their comfort zones and helped them to adapt to different sit

For those who were wondering....    

I've a feeling that you're trying to wind people up on this thread, Limey. If you're not then I can only say that you've been away for a long, long while and have no idea what the UK is like today. It's ok for mudgie49 and yourself giving us all history lessons about events that happened hundreds of years ago but we are all living in todays world. Tony Blair allowed mass immigration into the UK and as the figures rose, so did the problems. Three times as many Romanians and Bulgarians that are already in the UK could flock here when current restrictions on their movement are lifted at the end of next year. It's estimated that migrants from the two countries could soar to 425,ooo within two years. If this is the figure given then you can expect many more than this. What we are going to see is swathes of our countryside built over to accomodate the millions of new arrivals from the European Union, over which we seemingly have little control. Nick Boles, the Planning Minister, claimed last week that immigrant families accounted for a vast majority of Britains new housing needs. As I was growing up you would see a few Jamaican families in your area. They would intergrate and got on well with everyone. Today, the vast majority of some towns and cities are immigrants. They have no work and are found a place to live and sign on to the benefits system. They have no intention of intergrating and many of them turn to crime. If the prisons are full of immigrants, Limey, it's because they are the ones committing the crimes. .

• Upvote 1

...it may happen behind my back on a forum by a 'keyboard hero' or two, in fact I KNOW it happens behind my back .

Yes, that happens to me too - by somebody who doesn't understand the meaning of the words he uses!

'Tis the season - good will to ALL men!

Totally agree with Michael Booth #52.

Also now suggest we all 'agree to disagree' & get back to the purpose of this site; To allow everyone who lives/has lived in/around Nottingham to recall the past & reflect/comment on life in Nott'm today, without any discussions on race/religion (politics is stiil fair game in my book)............... :)

Limey, 'Tis the season - good will to ALL men! serves us with a timely reminder that sometimes we all need to 'reel our necks in'............ slywink

• Upvote 1

I agree - but Michael is wrong - check the stats on who is in British prisons - the VAST majority are white! Sorry, but I just hate that people will make decisions based on what they hear or think, not on the facts! - The facts are that 83% of the prison population are Brits, and 78% are white Brits! (Compare that to 57% white Americans in US prisons.) And things didn't happen "hundreds" of years ago - most of the British colonies got independence in the 1960's!

Personally, and I'm sure Limey thinks the same, all our comments have been said in a nice way but coming from a different point of view. That's what debate and banter is all about. I respect everyone's point of view because that is what they feel in their hearts. It's the same as if I was stood next to Stu at a Forest v Hibs game...lol. I posted this before reading Limey's post (#57) and would say I beg to differ and we'll never agree so I don't wish to comment on this topic any further.

Just one more thing on your 'stats' . Check out the percentage of ethnics in prison then compare it with the percentage of ethnics in the populace then you might remove the blankets from your eyes and see who's causing more crimes.

IE. OFCOURSE THERE ARE MORE WHITES IN PRISON , THERE ARE MORE WHITES IN THE COUNTRY, COMPARED TO AMERICA WHERE THE POPULATION IS MADE UP OF cough cough SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT PROPORTIONS/RATIOS.

When at school in Nottingham I fancied a girl who had some Indian in her genes. She was very nice and we got on well together. I was recently sent a photo of some of the kids at our school and she was one of he pupils in the shot. I had honestly not realized just how dark skinned she was until I saw that photo, 46yrs after leaving school! That has proved to me the old saying that children are taught racism, it's not a natural state of being. :)

Couldn't agree more there Pete, emphasizing what I've been trying to say, but also that it's not a one way street.

• 2 weeks later...

Every week for ten years the Rev Francis Cooke visited the shop floor at Bentley, offering counselling and advice to the luxury car maker's workers.

But only days before Christmas he has been made redundant because the company says he might offend non-Christians.

It said there were too many religions represented among the 4,000-strong workforce at its factory to warrant a Christian chaplain.

Mr Cooke called the decision 'ridiculous' and said he spoke to workers of all faiths.

Staff have started a campaign to reinstate the vicar, who they said was an 'important figure' who had even helped one employee who had been on the brink of suicide. Doesn't this PC madness make a laughing stock of the people responsible. Daft, I call it.

• 4 weeks later...
POLITICIANS PLEASE PAY ATTENTION !
‘Entitlement’ my eye, I paid good money for my State Pension and other benefits!!!! Just because they borrowed that money, doesn't make my benefits some kind of charity or hand out !! Gold plated MP pensions and Civil Service Government benefits, aka free healthcare, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, 20 weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days, now that's welfare, and they have the nerve to call me a 'greedy pensioner' and my retirement, an ‘entitlement’ !!!!!!

What the HELL's wrong with us???

WAKE UP BRITAIN !!!!

Someone please tell me what the HELL's wrong with all the people that run this country!!!!!! 

We're "broke" & can't help our own Pensioners, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless etc.,???????????
but spent 1.2 billion £££'s for G-20 events!
In the last few months we have provided aid to India, Greece and Turkey . And now Afghanistan , Pakistan ...... home of bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of POUNDS!!!

Our retirees living on a 'fixed income' receive no aid nor do they get any breaks while our government and religious organisations pour Hundreds of Billions of ££££££'s and tons of food to foreign countries!
They call Old Age Security and Healthcare an entitlement even though most of us have been paying for it all our working lives and now when it’s time for us to collect, the government is running out of money. Why did the government borrow from it in the first place? 
We have hundreds of adoptable children who are shoved aside to make room for the adoption of foreign orphans. 

GREAT BRITAIN: a country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed hungry, hospitals being closed, average income families who can't afford dental care, elderly going without 'needed' med's and having to travel 100's of miles for medical care with no reimbursement of cost, vehicles we can't afford fuel for, lack of affordable housing, and mentally ill without treatment - etc., etc.

YET.....
They have a 'benefit' for the people of foreign countries...ships and planes lining up with food, water, tents, clothes, bedding, doctors, and medical supplies. 
Imagine if the *GOVERNMENT* gave 'US' the same support they give to other countries.
Sad isn't it?
  • Upvote 7

Re #69 - Michael, thank you so much for putting this up, I have wanted to say this for weeks, but didn't know where to start or how to finish! Taking just one of your points, the State retirement Pension, I and Mrs Commo have been SO angry lately because it seems we are greedy, grasping pensioners just because we have been lucky enough to get to 65 and start taking our ENTITLEMENT to a State pension which we have paid into for almost 50 years.

From starting work and paying National Insurance I was aware that the State did not run the Pension system as a funded operation, and that my NI contributions were being used to pay out pension to those due to it there and then. I accepted this as the way it was, and there was never any feelings of resentment or bitterness as I knew that eventually, as long as I survived, I would then become one of those entitled to receive my fair share, and believe that everyone else paying out was of the same mind. It now seems that I am in receipt of a welfare benefit and as such am being denigrated by many younger persons for having the gall to receive this. This so called Government particularly seem to want to engender a division between the young and old, the employed and the unemployed, the disabled and the able, and apparently this is something, so we are constantly told, that is a popular vote winner!!

My blood boils!!

• Upvote 2

It is a tactic used by the Tory party to divide and conquer. They have always used this underhanded tactic, non more so than the "Great" Margaret Thatcher.

I have worked and paid into the system for over 46 years. I am currently receiving £70 per week sickness benefit. Yesterday someone said I was nothing more than a benefit scrounger because I have no obvious physical injury.

When I was made Redundant in 2011 after working and contributing since 1968, I had to jump through hoops to get a small 'Contribution based jobseekers allowance' This I got for six months.

My partner is in the same boat now, its like the Spanish inquisition.