Opening of Victoria & Broadmarsh Shopping Centres

On 6/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

When you think what was destroyed to build the Broad Marsh Centre! Never liked that place, even when it was new.  Unfortunately, Drury Hill cannot be put back. If it had been left alone it could now have been a corner of old Nottingham to rival the Shambles in York.

But what was destroyed though, Jill? Old bus station and car-park replaced by new bus station and car-park. Carrington St car-park and the shops on east side, ( Electricity showroom, four or five shoe shops, the closed-down Gunn & Moore, Macfisheries and Burtons ) many went into the new Centre. Old Broad Marsh itself; warehousing, a few small factory units, a newsagents and the Tower pub. Nothing lost there.

Some folk have mourned the demise of Drury Hill but remember it had all been condemned by the '70s. It's possible to look back and think why didn't someone have a vision too save it? Simple, cost. Who in their right minds were going to invest a fortune to refurbish a slum in order to provide a quaint, short hill of small shops.

I agree though, what they did was invest a fortune in the Broad Marsh Centre. A loser from the start. Victoria Centre had beat them to it, innovative at the time, better location, better shops. Even when folk wanted shops, two shopping centres was one too many.

We've just got the one now, that's one too many.

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The RCTS website have some great photos which I've mentioned before, and among them are pictures of the Victoria hole when the car park is under construction, the old station has almost gone, and a co

Thank heavens there aren't any films of Victoria Centre's early days.  When I first went there it was chucking it down of rain outside so I had a brolly, having walked from the Lace Market where I had

When the centre gets it's 'makeover' with fancy new entrances on the corner and at the clock tower, perhaps there will be another Grand Opening (or re-opening) Everyone should be there with their cam

When the huge fire in Langar was raging, Trevor S sent me a link to watch a video.  The link was on www.westbridgfordwire.com  and I've stuck with that website ever since for my Nottingham news. I find it much better then the Nottingham post website.

Just tried that link Kath, just inundated with adverts all over the place. Chose a topic, then have to fight your way round the ads to follow the story. What a bummer ! Why on Gods earth do I want to check out bras?

The writing for brick and mortar stores has been on the wall for some time.  When we owned a mobile phone store some ten years ago.  We would see folks come in so they could look at and handle the phones. Then they would go home and buy online lower than our cost.  That also meant we lost an activation, which was where we made our commission.  We retired and sold out.  Glad we did.  We'd have gone bust if we kept that up for long.  I believe that this virus has been the straw that broke the marginal Camel's back.

1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

I wouldn’t mind!

No AG, you'd probably be more interested in the fillings.  :rolleyes:

Sorry Kath, tried it again and just the same adverts popping up all over, even obscuring the articles.

Will keep looking on it though. X.

Sounds like you have picked up some "adware" and the site topics trigger it.

I wouldn't be without my adblockers (adblock Plus, Web of trust, Ghostery - last two are not strictly adblockers but they keep down unwelcome  sites and intruders into you machine. All free!)

It may also be due to KJ having an American IP address.

Edit:

I've just spoofed my IP and there were no adverts!

Jonab, Brew, I'm afraid that didn't mean a thing to me. That is, if it were meant for me. Told yer I'm thick.:wacko:

Your IP identifies your computer location. The adverts are UK specific so little point anyone not in the UK seeing them and a highly localise site like West Bridgford will not attract advertisers beyond their customer boundary.

Spoofing an IP is relatively easy and sends out a signal that tells the server you are in a different location, I chose North America...  Simples

• 4 months later...

Well, the Committee has gone sat down and had a meeting.

They consumed lots of tea and biscuits and mulled over the problem.

Then someone had a Brianwave,, why don't we call the Victoria shopping Centre,

Victoria Centre

so that's what they're going to do.

Then they all had another cup of tea and some biscuits and went on their way, happy that they haven't spent thousands on consultants to tell them the obvious.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/intu-branding-taken-down-victoria-4734056?fbclid=IwAR1Scyk9FcON8B3TS-dV4ABrXrO76DS_-C83X2OZLKE8J-QGzLkCW78QFL0

I agree. It was repositioned in a bit of a wasteland area at the back of the store. I've not been in the Vic.Centre since they hiked the parking charges. Actually, apart from John Lewis, there's nothing much in there. I always look on Amazon now if I want something. No driving, no parking, no crowds, no hassle. It's the way forward!