Went to see someone in The Park Hospital Burntstump Hill the other day.

I worked at Sherwood Lodge from 1984 to 1995 but have not been back since.

I thought my memory must be going as I remember Burntstump hill junction with A614 being a crossroads, but it is now a T junction?

Google Street view shows the road down to Calverton now closed, which seems crazy to me.

It was always a bad junction being on a hill but just (and still does) needed traffic lights.

How long has this been closed?

gravellyhollow1.jpg

gravellyhollow.jpg

Not half as dangerous as it was...Halted one day facing Calvo and turning right with a heavy trailer attached.After a good five minutes wait a gap appeared...a bloke opposite heading for Burntstump in a car decided not to give way as I moved out and pulled in front of me.Finished up with him blocking me in the middle of the road...Not the place to be buggering about when big wagons were roaring up to the junction on the main drag.

To my recollection in all my years driving,that is the only route I decided not to use again because it was so dangerous.A sensible move to make it a 'T' junction...should've had lights there many years before...there were many serious accidents there over the years.

As I say I worked there for 11 years, never remember an accident on the junction?

Thats not to say there weren't any. I'd thought traffic lights a better option than closing a main route with the now lengthy detour.

Incidentally in all the years I worked there, I was surprised to know what the actual name of the road was.

The same type of junction is located at Dorket Head, they havent closed the road to Calverton there to protect the right turners from the city?

You'd maybe not have the displeasure of emerging from the Calverton end, Mick - it was absolutely lethal from cars coming from the north - almost impossible to be 100% safe coming out of there due to the gradient and blind corner on the A614.

You may be right about traffic lights but I still think there may have been a significant danger with 'amber gamblers'. I don't think Dorket Head is a good comparison as approaching the crossroads from Arnold there is reasonable visibility both ways - unlike Gravelly Hollow.

I don't think that Burnstump Hill sees a huge amount of through traffic. The detour is a bit long I'd agree but it's very swift due to the nature of the quick-moving main road.

Over on the Calverton side of the junction is used regularly for dog walkers to park up and take a stroll.

It's the same with the T-junction on the A614 for center parcs its now having traffic lights put up, that was also a bad junction if you turned right onto the A614. all these types of junctions on A-roads should have traffic lights, why wait until someone is killed before they do anything.

Thanks Stu

Lime Lane/A614 was a bad junction but I see they put a set of Traffic lights there at some time.

Before, at morning rush hour I often used to turn left from Lime Lane on A614 and go to burntstump via the A60.

It's the same with the T-junction on the A614 for center parcs its now having traffic lights put up, that was also a bad junction if you turned right onto the A614. all these types of junctions on A-roads should have traffic lights, why wait until someone is killed before they do anything.

Forgot about that one...spent many happy hours queueing there in summer.Once again towing a heavy trailer.Not so bad if you can nip out quickly,but in a slow vehicle positively dangerous.