• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The photos of Burton's Arcade, decked out with Christmas lights, were taken by my late father in law, Ernest Hibbert. Ernie worked as a joiner with Nottingham City Transport, post-1945 and in his spar

A bit of history about 3 stores in Nottingham, Burton's being the 3rd one. http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/themes/retailing.htm

And how long ago is it since Burtons moved out?

I've been down hundreds of times, there's a sub-station down there. There no man to take you down now. you have to go into the council offices to get the key.

There were always an operator for the lift when delivering. Can't  remember if one rang a bell or used an internal phone. You certainly couldn't leave your lorry and go swanning off looking for a key. Seeing that photo I  posted, is the first time I've  seen the doors closed.

Strictly speaking passengers are not allowed in the lift. You are supposed to drive your vehicle in and then walk down the stairs after setting the lift going. There was never an phone as far as I can remember though there is a brass push button for the bell.

You must have had quite a small lorry BK, there is hardly room for anything bigger than a 3 ton van.

Brew, you remember what size the SPD Van's were, 8 or 10 pallets. All I  remember, I  drove on and drove off.

All I  know, it was well over forty years ago so I  bow to your superior knowledge.

10 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I took a Ford Transit van down there once, sure I sat in the van when it went down.

There's always one!.....   :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I used to go to school with Trevor and Roger Hursthouse. Roger became an accountant and Trevor left in the fifth form at Mellish to join the family electrical firm.

I never knew them, i was o only 14/15 used to go with uncle Mick in the school holidays (labouring i suppose) but had quite a few experiences with him. Just got to find the right thread to put them in.

I remember now.... I met Monica briefly in 1976 as she was waiting for her children outside the school!   Monica was one of my friends at Arno Vale but she went to a different secondary school

Michael Watts once took me home on the back of his motorbike after I’d been to Monica’s (10th?) birthday party !

Hi Ian Finn, in reply to your query, SPD stood for "Speedy Prompt Delivery", but we drivers used to say it were sex provided daily, (not that we ever got the chance!). It was a distribution service, including, general deliveries, Birds Eye etc. They used to have a depot on Glaidale drive, with depots country wide including Peterborough, Birmingham,  Dronfield, Manchester, South Shields, to name a few. Hope this helps. Happy New Year.

PS. It were a subsidiary  of Unilever. 

• Like 2

I always thought that SPD stood for Soap Powder Deliverys"" could be wrong,but thats what they delivered to i at Marsdens/Farrands,, 

Edit,,just seen. BKs reply,,he did the job,,so must be right,,

• Like 1

Hiya Ben, Did you not get Batchelors or Van Den Burghs deliveries as well?

PS,  another version was "Slow Painful Death". ( depended on what area you were delivering to).:rolleyes:

We did indeed have deliverys from Van Den Berghs,,margarine etc? 

Couldn't remember it being SPD,,but like i said you did the job so must be right,,

• 3 months later...