It was always a feeling that this was a high class shopping area, especially when I was a kid. It was always pretty special when you could afford to buy something from Burtons Food hall, and their Christmas displays were always something different and part of the Christmas shopping experience.

It was a family tradition to join the Burton's Christmas savings club with weekly savings ad an exiting day close to Christmas when you collected your book of vouchers to exchange for goodies. When Mrs Commo and I wee wed, we also followed the radition and usually exchanged vouchers for a couple of bottles of Festive Cheer! Being young sophisticates(?) this usually consisted of a bottle of whisky, one of sherry and perhaps a bottle of wine! In 1968 we knew how to live!

This was a far cry from Mum and Dad's earlier Chrissy purchases from Adams on Alfred St South when it was a bottle of whisky, one of Damson Cream and an Egg Flip.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The photos of Burton's Arcade, decked out with Christmas lights, were taken by my late father in law, Ernest Hibbert. Ernie worked as a joiner with Nottingham City Transport, post-1945 and in his spar

A bit of history about 3 stores in Nottingham, Burton's being the 3rd one. http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/themes/retailing.htm

And how long ago is it since Burtons moved out?

The biggest memory of Burtons was the smell in the arcade! I took Mary in there the other week to try to explain it - but it just isn't the same without the smell!

• 3 months later...

I used to love Burtons. It was such a treat to shop there and at Christmas it was fabulous!

This is one of the random bits of paper we kept in my mum and dads photo album .

Its the bill for the party food for their silver wedding anniversary in 1962 . This was about the only party they ever did and think they pushed the boat out for this......... I vaguely remember it . £12 10s for about 30 people by the looks of it !

These prices look good to me .i.e. 36 sausage on sticks for 7/6p , 30 sherry trifles for £1 17s !

8627205219_01b0671e90_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

Burtons gave up the ghost in the Arcade about 1983. In view of the fact that "high class" grocers now seem to have come back into vogue, they may be flyng high today. Don't think they would have been able to soldier on for another 30 years though!

They used to sell a kind of cocktail snack/cracker....lobster flavour waffles. I'd give anything to find them again! It was the only place my mum could find german cooked meats like speck in the 1970's. of course now she'd be in her element..so many good delis but at the time Burtons was king

carnt ever remembber mum buying anything from burtons but it was a must to go through the arcade at christmasto see the decorations.

i used to shop there sometimes in the butchers or deli when i first got married

This is one of the random bits of paper we kept in my mum and dads photo album .

Its the bill for the party food for their silver wedding anniversary in 1962 . This was about the only party they ever did and think they pushed the boat out for this......... I vaguely remember it . £12 10s for about 30 people by the looks of it !

These prices look good to me .i.e. 36 sausage on sticks for 7/6p , 30 sherry trifles for £1 17s !

Wish we could get Burton's quality for those prices now.

As an aside, I notice your parents' address and that it was in 1962. You'll remember when Marshall Hill Drive was unsurfaced after Gardenia at the time? That was when and where I had my most spectacular accident on my push-bike, aged 6. It only had a front brake and when I left the tarmac, I slammed the brake on and somersaulted over the handlebars.

My mum feinted when she saw the cuts, grazes and blood!

£12.10s ! I see there is an address so was the order delivered too David.?

Can't remember Andy, I barely remember being there but probably delivered , it would have been a lot to haul from town on the No 25 !

• 1 month later...

As a family down town on a saturday afternoon we would always have a look around Burtons I remember the smell of the cheeses, But I remember Mam always got her "Scratchins" from Pork Farms, now aged 80 she has Diabetes??

• 7 months later...