hellothere It never fails with me but when I read the two little words: 'Burton's Arcade', that distinctive, pungent aroma that met you as soon as you walked into the wonderful Burton's store returns...............................just shows, the Power of Words.........................

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The photos of Burton's Arcade, decked out with Christmas lights, were taken by my late father in law, Ernest Hibbert. Ernie worked as a joiner with Nottingham City Transport, post-1945 and in his spar

A bit of history about 3 stores in Nottingham, Burton's being the 3rd one. http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/themes/retailing.htm

And how long ago is it since Burtons moved out?

Everything there was always superb quality, not like today's Tesco s**t.

Guest Phoenix

The fishy smell was from MacFisheries who had a large wet fish shop in the Arcade!

This is another thread that's taken me back nearly 50 years. I had a Saturday and school holiday job in Burtons. I was on the cake counter. There was a huge basement and bakery below the shop floor level and the cakes used to come up on trays on a lift behind the counter. They made lots of speciality cakes like little Charlotte Russe and Madelaines. I hated packing individual cakes into boxes because they had to be tied with fancy papery tape, in a bow and I could never get mine to look right!

I was paid just over £3 for a 5 day week, with a half day and working til 6pm on Saturday. I eventually applied for a job at Woolworths and got one there on the cooked meat counter. The pay was £4.10 shillings for the same hours and better staff discount, so I was really pleased! You could more or less pick and choose where to work then. There were always jobs going for students.

• Upvote 1

I thought the fish counter belonged to Burton's, it certainly was re 62 - 67.

Guest Phoenix

That's the right era basfordred. There was deffo a MacFisheries on Smithy Row during that period. I don't remember Burton's fish counter, but I'm not keen on the smell of fish, so I'd have avoided it!

Their was also a cheese counter a bacon counter and a deli i was sent by my mother ever friday to get my fathers lancashire cheese.we lived at mapperley at the time and the first time i was sent on the 31 bus and told to ask for the market square i was so frightened that i would end up in the wrong place. but it turned out a welcome change after a few trips. alas burtons arcade is now full of fashion shops.

I was brought up in a Fish & Chip shop until I was in my teens, so I love the smell of fish. I love it when we're on hols so I can have a walk on the quayside and smell fresh fish. Love Newlyn, Bridlington, Eyemouth, Looe anywhere like that.

Yes , the cheese counter was fantastic, such a variety probably unsurpassed today.

Just been on the MacFisheries thread, but no mention of a shop IN the arcade. I'm sure Burton's was the only outlet inside the arcade as I remember frequenting the place( no pun intended) many times mid 60's, I may be wrong, but I also thought South Parade was the only one in the area.

Agreed, there wasn't any MacFisheries in the Arcade; it wouldn't have made much business sense trying to compete with Burtons who were in the Arcade in force.

Although MacF were nearby, on South Parade as shown by the photo in this thread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3558&hl=macf at post #123.

When we were kids, around ten years old, we'd sometimes get the bus into town from Clifton on a Saturday just to have a walk round the shops. I remember my mate and his brother getting really excited one time, insisting we went into Burtons. They seemed to know their way around the shelves, maybe they'd been in with their mum, and took me into what must have been the "exotics" section. There, they started pointing at some of the jars - chocolate covered ants and other insects (forget which now). What a laugh!

If you miss the smell, try a walk through Flying Horse Walk and hang around outside The Cheese Shop - not as strong perhaps, but similar.

Burtons?...Brandy Snaps. :)

Yes, most certainly Brandy Snaps from the cake counter at Burtons, either plain unadorned or with a cream filling. Also excellent meringues, chocolate eclairs and vanilla slices. and the now very rarely seen Jap Fancies, a smaller nutty type meringue concoction ( which I last encountered in a small independant cake shop in Letchworth Garden City about 15 years ago ). In the latter part of the 1950's if occasionaly my mother was shopping in the city along with myself and younger brother, we were taken to Burton's where we allowed to choose one cake each as a teatime treat. I remember the cakes being packed in a small white cardboard box tied with a narrow ribbon style tape, which I was entrusted to carry on the WBUDC service 21 bus back home.

• 7 months later...

I remember being taken to Burtons as a small child in the early 1950's. My grandad's brother's son....my mum's cousin... Raymond Grice, was the manager there and used to allow me to choose small treats from the food halls. It was like being in food fairyland and I thought Raymond was the most wonderful person ever. I think he had a soft spot for me because I was born on his birthday. It clearly had a powerful effect on me because I have a strong recollection of this even though I was only three when Raymond died. He was tragically killed aged only 39, along with his father Thomas Grice, when their car ploughed into a broken down lorry at Tollerton railway bridge.

Our mam worked at Burtons during the war - back end of the war, I think. I recall her mentioning Grice the manager.

Katyjay. Click on Like This to see if it registers in the notifications.

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

Yes I remember Burtons very well. Sadly it closed many years ago. It was especially nice at Christmas. They used to have delivery boys on bicycles with the baskets on the front.They mainly delivered to residents in The Park. In a way it was like Nottinghams own Harrods food hall.

Mr Tilling from Burtons came on a Tuesday eve to take mums order, then it was delivered on Friday, by van I think !!!!

It was a prelude to internet shopping !!!!!!LOL

I always remember he lived on Henrietta street and years later when I had a Saturday job at Fine Fare , he was the manager......

The memory i have of Burtons is the Salmon paste ,Mum used to buy it loose mmm lovely with a dash of vinegar on your sandwich , the arcade at Christmas was a must see x anyone remember the Nativity scene on the square ahhh we loved it , my cousin visiting from down south loved it that much he dinked under the rope for a closer look ,little devil x

Everything about Burtons was sheer quality.

Again, like Pearsons and the big Co-Op, I just assumed it would be around forever.

Another store that was synonymous with Nottingham.

I always remember it as being full of shoppers.

Then one day I come back to Notts and its gone !

"Burton's" was like Harrods is to London.

Then came Fine fare, Tesco, Gem, to name a few I suppose "Burton's" could not compete.

Just walking though the store was an experience in the 50/60s

• Upvote 1