The photos of Burton's Arcade, decked out with Christmas lights, were taken by my late father in law, Ernest Hibbert. Ernie worked as a joiner with Nottingham City Transport, post-1945 and in his spare time was an enthusiastic amateur photographer. He took many photos of Nottingham during the devastation of the late 1950s/1960s, which can be viewed at https://sixtiespixnottingham.wordpress.com

Christine Hibbert

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The photos of Burton's Arcade, decked out with Christmas lights, were taken by my late father in law, Ernest Hibbert. Ernie worked as a joiner with Nottingham City Transport, post-1945 and in his spar

A bit of history about 3 stores in Nottingham, Burton's being the 3rd one. http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/themes/retailing.htm

And how long ago is it since Burtons moved out?

• 10 months later...

I remember Burtons from the 1970s - the coffee smell, ham on the bone and the fabulous large fish displays. 

Brings to mind other shops as well - the big Co-op especially the toy department on the top floor, Sisson and Parker, Pearson's sparkly floor and Cavendish Woodhouse (I remember buying my first bedroom furniture from there around 1976).

All sad losses I think.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked the summer of 1966 in the Education Dept, further awards section, in the Council House, and spent most of my lunches either in Burtons or in Sybil's Pantry in the Lace Market. I remember mostly the salmon paste and the cream cakes. Did Burtons have a main distribution centre in Hucknall, near where the zoo used to be?

In the old days places like Alfreton,Belper,Ripley and the like had a great choice of real grocers...Maypole,Meadow Dairy and Home and Colonial etc....

The coming of the supermarkets and the motor car sealed their fate.Housewives no longer had to struggle with heavy shopping bags three or four times a week...Progress?....sometimes I wonder.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just saw this thread and thought I would add a little bit, when I was about 14/15 I went to Burton's with my uncle Mick(he was an electrician, working for, Marriott and Goodhurst, mapperley) to do some work on one of the freezers, and I was told that Burton's was part of fine fare!. The freezers were built to fit in the caves that were underneath. From what I remember, it was quite an elaborate setup. Wonder what's there now?

I remember when I  worked at SPD, we used to deliver to Burtons via a bloody great lift on Cheapside. You summoned the lift and a bloke brought it up from below the arcade. You then drove your vehicle onto the lift and said bloke would take lift back down to a massive Warren underneath the Council house, which you then followed the service road to the unloading bay. When finished, you had to follow the road in a big square, passing several 'back door' unloading area's til you got back to the lift and the kind bloke would take you and lorry back up street level. I always thought it were amazing, driving a lorry onto a lift. People were always suprised to see a lorry seemingly coming out of a shop door!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I think you mean Goodmarriot and Hursthouse!

Yep, i stand corrected. Ode age does funny things to the memory (+a few drinks!!)

6 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Yep, i stand corrected. Ode age does funny things to the memory (+a few drinks!!)

I used to go to school with Trevor and Roger Hursthouse. Roger became an accountant and Trevor left in the fifth form at Mellish to join the family electrical firm.

9 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Fascinating, Beekay. Where was the entrance to the lift?

Go to Cheapside on Google Earth and look towards the Council House buildings. There is the green doorway to the lift next door to Angel House. I worked in that building in the 60’s when it was occupied by Hubbart, Durose and Pain the accountants.

As well as Burton's being part of Fine Fare, so was Fortnum & Mason, the Queen's grocers on Piccadilly, London. It was a complicit of Garfield Weston's (overall ower) delusions of grandeur.

Weston was the inventor of the Wagon Wheel biscuit and other things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Garfield_Weston