• 8 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While decorating recently, I found a pile of old Bygones from the early 2000s. Among them was one in which I had an article printed and which also contained the following story. When I first read it,

As I walked the dejected mile and a smidgeon along Gregory Boulevard to school each morning, I'd run the gauntlet of those lucky blighters who didn't get through the 11-Plus, en route for the bus to P

The first Thursday in October meant only thing to the Manning girl: the following day was a holiday. Goose Fair, you see. Manning was the only secondary school to enjoy this privilege since it was d

Hello everybody , i am new to this site but have enjoyed looking at the old maps etc , i was born on Enfield Street in Hyson Green in 1969 , Enfield street no longer exsists and i believe it is under the police station on Radford road which is near to Gladstone street . I have seen it on some of the maps but just wondered if anybody has a closer views of it and the surrounding streets , thanks Pete .

I think that's the answer smile.png

Meanwhile, back to the original question from jimbo, I'd forgotten about this but it may help him.

forest10-40-04.jpg

Have you a closer and clearer view of Enfield Street which is to the left hand side just off Radford road and near Gladstone Street , thanks Pete .

Have you a closer and clearer view of Enfield Street which is to the left hand side just off Radford road and near Gladstone Street , thanks Pete .

You mean like this? You can even work out which was your old house (which I presume is why you want it :cool: )

enfield.jpg

• Upvote 1

Welcome Moolybap1969, enjoy Nottstalgia and thanks for bumping this thread, it's given me the chance to read Jill Sparrow's posts about her horrendous years at Manning School. Where have you gone Jill? It's been too long since I choked on me lunch!

• Upvote 3

Welcome moolybap 1969.

My grandmother was born across the other side of Radford Road at 40 Belton Street albeit in 1900. That house is still there. They then moved to 25 Harold Road. I don't think that that is still there and I have no idea exactly where it was but must have been in the same area.

• Upvote 1

I cleaned windows for a year in between proper jobs. I did most of the streets between Burford Road and Foxhall Road. Some of the front windows on Shipstone Street and Gladstone Street were pretty scary to clean.

You mean like this? You can even work out which was your old house (which I presume is why you want it :cool: )

enfield.jpg

Absolutely Fantastic , perfect , i was to young to remember exactly which house was mine but i will ask my Mother she will know ,i do remember there was a scrap yard at the bottom of the hill tho , many thanks you have made my day , Pete .

Welcome Moolybap1969, enjoy Nottstalgia and thanks for bumping this thread, it's given me the chance to read Jill Sparrow's posts about her horrendous years at Manning School. Where have you gone Jill? It's been too long since I choked on me lunch!

Thankyou Lizzie M .

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Moolybap1969. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

Thank you Michael , i dont have that many memories of Enfield street ( apart from falling down the cellar ) because i left their when i was about 4 years old which is probably when then knocked then houses down for the police station , i moved to Sherwood but i still went to St Marys Hyson Green School on Beaconsfield St which is still there so i knew the area quite well . Pete .

Welcome moolybap 1969.

My grandmother was born across the other side of Radford Road at 40 Belton Street albeit in 1900. That house is still there. They then moved to 25 Harold Road. I don't think that that is still there and I have no idea exactly where it was but must have been in the same area.

Thankyou , yes i know Belton Street , i'm sure i walked up there to go to School ( Sy Marys ) on Beaconsfield Street . Pete

Spot on Moobylap !

Yes my Uncle was a miner, named Albert Wilson, aunts name was Francis, she has been dead qute a few years but Albert is still plodding on. He must be 80 ish now.

I still see linda on occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Spot on Moobylap !

Yes my Uncle was a miner, named Albert Wilson, aunts name was Francis, she has been dead qute a few years but Albert is still plodding on. He must be 80 ish now.

I still see linda on occasions.

Brilliant , small world hey . i told my Mother and yes she remembers the names now , thanks .

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...
On 12/8/2012 at 4:25 PM, Cliff Ton said:

This is showing around 1915-20. What you notice is that the street layout back then is identical to the way it is today.

There hasn't been any large-scale demolition in that area, so it hasn't changed. If you want to know the streets back then, look at Google today.

forest.jpg

Well, you learn something every day! Just noticed this. It would appear that, prior to the building of The Manning, there was housing running across the site...Wilfred Avenue...and Stanley Road ran right down to Gregory Boulevard. I had no idea.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for posting this - I was born on Windermere Road, which isn't named on the map.  It's the road between Ewart Road and Stanley Road, and runs from Berridge Road to Laurie Avenue.  North of Berridge Road it's Bradgate Road (?).  I was at Stanley Junior up to 1967 and then Forest Fiels Grammar to 1972.