Searching an area near Manchester the other day I came across this 1850s map that clearly shows a Ropewalk.This was a long single storey covered building specifically made for the manufacture of ropes.This one disappeared in the 1870s.(long grey building bottom right)

What I want to know is has anyone come across any information of one existing in Nottingham...and if not where has The Ropewalk off Derby road got it's name from?

zzzzz_zps10e3c1a2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Pooh, The Ropewalk was so named simply because there was a walkway on ropes near the old reservoir that was there.

Here is a c&p of something I was recently reading.............

The Ropewalk bears in its name a story of its history. It was the Ropewalk of 18th century Nottingham and there is really little of interest to say about it. The reservoir at its junction with Park Row was completed in 1831. Up to the seventies or eighties of last century it used to be extremely picturesque and was surrounded by trees, but it was concreted over in order that the water stored within it might be kept free from contamination. It does not appear to have been a great success and in 1924 it was granted on very favourable terms to the governors of the General Hospital and upon its site has been erected the out-patients department.

The Eye Hospital next door is an exceedingly well managed and successful institution which never seems to be in financial straits and which was erected in 1912. The old pumping station nearer to Derby Road had to be disused because it was found that the water which it was supplying was contaminated by the General Cemetery. It however, marks the site of an old windmill which stood there until 1832 or thereabouts.

Hope that helps

• Upvote 1

"water which it was supplying was contaminated by the General Cemetery"

Doesnt bear thinking about does it? :(

The Newest building in the area is the Police Station. Was anything built there before it?

The large white building on the end of the Ropewalk is called Regency House. Late 70s this was taken over by Nottinghamshire Police, and a bridge was built between it and the Police Station. It has now been sold off. I wondered if there was any history attached to this particular building?

Look forward to seeing more Ropewalk history :)

The Ropewalk bears in its name a story of its history. It was the Ropewalk of 18th century Nottingham and there is really little of interest to say about it. The reservoir at its junction with Park Row was completed in 1831. Up to the seventies or eighties of last century it used to be extremely picturesque and was surrounded by trees, but it was concreted over in order that the water stored within it might be kept free from contamination. It does not appear to have been a great success and in 1924 it was granted on very favourable terms to the governors of the General Hospital and upon its site has been erected the out-patients department.

First time I've heard of the reservoir up there, so well done for finding it, gra bee

regent-1.jpg

I'm sure there was a rope walk at Lenton(on th canal bank) in the 1880s.

There was or possibly still is a small shop in Dunkirk that sold and made ropes, they had a factory at spring close in Lenton, this was demolished to make way for the Q.M.C it was a proper old style shop with everything done in house.

There is a brief article in the Lenton times website (issue 20)

http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/back_i_11_20.htm

It was always my belief that there "was" a rope manufacturing facility near the Ropewalk - but I could be wrong!

There was or possibly still is a small shop in Dunkirk that sold and made ropes, they had a factory at spring close in Lenton, this was demolished to make way for the Q.M.C it was a proper old style shop with everything done in house.

There is a brief article in the Lenton times website (issue 20)

http://www.lentontim...ack_i_11_20.htm

I used to deal with Coates on Montpelier Road in Lenton.A tiny shop with a workshop at the rear. He made the canopy for this market stall of mine some 15 years ago.A handy shop for all ropes,bungees,canopies and accessories.Don't know if he's still there.

img104_zps6782aed0.jpg

Is it the same Coates that make sewing thread? (It is all my wife will use!)

Should have done my research first - turns out the sewing thread version is missing the "E" - i.e. "Coats" rather than "Coates"!

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the "Ropewalk" was so named?

Thanks - Smiffy49.

Was wondering that the other day myself,we have one in Lincoln,we might get an answer now

Rog

Rope making, laid the rope making material out along the street and wound the ropes, the rope makers would walk up and down the rope as it was being "laid" hence Ropewalk.

• Upvote 2