Is it Just Me, or Does Anyone Else Hate Christmas !

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Christmas time, but we don't go overboard on decorations, presents or extra food.  I like it because of the carols by candlelight and the Nativity play at church, also the excitement of our you

Boxing Day lunch always has been Bubble and Squeak day for us, usually served around twoish for a few family regulars who join us every year. B@S, all cold meat and stuffing, fried egg and baked beans

Christmas was always dreaded in my family because there was inevitably some disaster. Usually, it was the death of a family member or friend and a sense of apprehension built up as the festive season

We could replace it with the Winter Solstice, which was the celebration the christians usurped.

A good Yule to all of you.

I have always called it Yuletide, but if I know the person I am talking to is a christian I will wish them a Happy Christmas..

An interesting book to browse is "The Jewish Book of Why" which explains what all their festivals represent, why and when. Most of them were celebrated for practical reasons, then adopted (at the same time of year) by them new-fangled Christians.

Most Christians have no idea why they used to eat fish on Friday (some still do), or give up something for lent, or eat fat on "Fat Tuesday". There are practical reasons for all of these, and many more - that were practiced by the Jews long before Jesus came along.

Most folk don't know what food is forbidden either, apart from Pig, all ruminants are classed as "clean" Fish with fins and scale are "clean" all shell fish, crabs and lobsters are "Unclean" Most birds are classed as "clean"

Now don't ask me why some are classed as clean or unclean, I can only guess from the eating habits of unclean animals..

Try this lot from Wiki...

These are the animals considered to be impure according to Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14:

Why the hare Gawd only knows...But you can scoff this Effelump when it stops bouncing.. :biggrin:

What FOOL will stand under a falling Effelump trying to catch it...... :crazy:

No No No!....you wait till the said effelump is at it's highest then you whip away the trampoline when it's not looking... :yahoo:

• Upvote 1

You missed out dogs and cats which are considered unclean too....

You also missed out rats from that list and don't forget humans are considered a no no!!

No Trev, just edited my post to cover humans.

You're right....I'll give vulture a miss as well.

An eagle drumstick and tortoise cooked in the shell sounds better!

Did you know that the 2 animals on the Australian Coat of Arms, the kangaroo and the emu, are both legal fare and are on the menus in many eateries as well on sale at meat marts?

In what other country can you eat the animals on your Coat of Arms?

Won't be much naked dancing around pine trees this solstice. World ends on December 21, Don't yer know? :Shock: Has to be so, the Mayans said so! So you rushed around buying all those presents for nothing.

As noted, Christ was most likely born sometime in September. The church of Rome has long had a tendency to practice religious syncretism, ie, the practice of incorporating religious celebrations into those which were being practiced when the Roman missionaries showed up. Halloween is another good example. All saints day is celebrated by them on November 1 so why not go along with the night of the dead on Oct 31st?

They then celebrated the Christ - mass. Many Christians myself included have never celebrated any mass. The foregoing is not intended as an attack on Roman Catholics simply a statement of history. Unfortunately the media tends to quote RC beliefs and ascribe them to all believers. It aint necessarily so.

I have eaten kangaroo - not bad, goes well with a good Cabernet...

I've got one for you (Courtesy of QI)

The Barnacle Goose was (For some strange reason) thought to hatch from Barnacles (Quel suprise) and as such was a type of fish, vis a vis , ok to eat on religous holidays, the reason that we ate Goose at Christmas !

Never thought of that Poobear, yes they migrate south to warmer climes in late autumn. So where did the geese come from in books as the Christmas bird???? Unless it was farm bred geese.

Er.... Geese also migrate here too !!

The wetlands around the coast, and some well inland too, will be full of them from now till the end of March .

They've been and gone here Ian, probably resting up under the sun on an island in the Caribbean by now...

Or poohing all around the lakes at Colwick, John.

Did you know there was a letter in the Nott'm Evening Post, (it must have been 20 years ago at least,) from some fool complaining about the amount of dog doo around the lakes at Colwick at this tiime of year !! and they printed it without even thinking 'Oh hang on ! it could just be the extra four or five hundred geese that over winter here each year' doing it