Is it Just Me, or Does Anyone Else Hate Christmas !

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

It always amazes me seeing people shopping in the superstores prior to Christmas. I appreciate that some people have large family gatherings (ugh) but you'd think that some were stocking up for an impending siege, or a forthcoming natural disaster. Unbelievable !

Absolutely. The supermarkets have much to answer for. My dad echoed your observation, FLY2 - and he died in 1981!

I'm learning to ignore the bits of life that annoy, and embrace the rest.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Christmas time, but we don't go overboard on decorations, presents or extra food.  I like it because of the carols by candlelight and the Nativity play at church, also the excitement of our you

Boxing Day lunch always has been Bubble and Squeak day for us, usually served around twoish for a few family regulars who join us every year. B@S, all cold meat and stuffing, fried egg and baked beans

Christmas was always dreaded in my family because there was inevitably some disaster. Usually, it was the death of a family member or friend and a sense of apprehension built up as the festive season

The mention card games reminds me of my complete mental block for playing cards.

Right back to being a small child, I have been totally unable to play any card game. I'm OK if I am told at the start how to play (simple games only) but, on the next occasion I am completely at a loss and my memory of anything connected with the game has gone.

Just about OK with Happy Families but the thought of Bridge gives me goosebumps.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, oldphil said:

'm learning to ignore the bits of life that annoy, and embrace the rest.

My father brought me up to do the same. It was his philosophy. Reckon it's the only way to survive this existence!

• Upvote 1

My, my, I'm so glad others think likewise about cards. I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THEM ! However, every time we have a family gathering (ugh) or a birthday get together, you can guarantee that within seconds of downing the last remnants of a takeaway, out will come the cards. Once, I was still chewing and one of the mob took my plate. I went ape5hit, and really let my feelings out.

The trouble is, all the outlaws have been weaned on bleddy cards, and can't think of anything else. 

Intelligent conversation. You're joking, forget it ! 

Trouble is, I've got three of their birthdays coming up, and Christmas and NY get togethers to survive.

Roll on somewhere around mid February !

• Like 3

I like Christmas time, but we don't go overboard on decorations, presents or extra food.  I like it because of the carols by candlelight and the Nativity play at church, also the excitement of our youngest grandchildren.  I also LOVE family 'get togethers' where we play various games and, each year, try to play a set of handbells I've got.  There is always a lot of laughter, even from the teenage grandchildren who can forget about being 'cool' for one day.   I hope they'll all remember it and carry on the traditions with their own families some day.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I'm with you on that jonab. Just can't see the point in card games but then i do lead a very sad life.;)

I can’t stand card games either and like jonab I can never remember what to do.  We meet a couple in our local regularly and they always arrive before us and are sitting there playing cards when we arrive.  Thank goodness the cards are packed away as soon as we turn up because I’d have to have a tantrum if I was expected to join in.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can guarantee having a tantrum if I lose. Playing is bad enough !

Don't worry LizzieM  One less house for Santa to visit. 

"MERRY CHRISTMAS" 

Went shopping today and was amazed to see people's trollies stuffed to the gills with Christmas tat! It's only October! :wacko:

Half the aisles have been given over to sparkly plastic  reindeer, false white beards, jingly bells and tons of tinsel. As I piled the moggie food into my trolley, I fondly recalled the days, long ago now, round about 18th December, when mum would take me to Woolies on Radford Road to choose my Christmas cards for a halfpenny each from a pile of loose cards on the counter. The tree, decorations and tinsel were kept in a box in a cupboard and came out on Christmas eve...no sooner. Same ones every year.

We didn't buy new each year....Bah, Humbug!  ;)

34 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

It’s not blurry and it’s a lovely photo. Square on my iPad still too. 

It must be my eyes which are blurry then,  Lizzie.  Actually, that's not a joke!   I have a job seeing what I'm doing when I put on my makeup now and as for cutting my hair and sorting out eyebrows....... I think I'll soon have to give up on that!

Loving this getting older (not) xx

45 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

It’s not blurry and it’s a lovely photo. Square on my iPad still too. 

I made a comment on another thread somewhere...it may depend on which Theme you are set to.

Default and FB Look both give circular avatars. Old School gives square.

Just now, Cliff Ton said:

I made a comment on another thread somewhere...it may depend on which Theme you are set to.

Default and FB Look both give circular avatars. Old School gives square.

Don’t want to mess with settings CliffTon, I’m sure to lose Nottstalgia altogether if I do. 

6 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Haha!  Couldn’t do without my contacts Margie!! 

Unfortunately, having contacts  wouldn't help my eyesight, Lizzie  as I've got macular degeneration and have several blind spots in my vision.   Also, straight lines look wavy - bit of a mess really.... I'm fine on the iPad as it's backlit, but reading books is becoming increasingly difficult.   

I haven't got a bad back or any other health problems at the moment, though, so I have a lot to be thankful for.  And Eastenders is about to start so I'll just pull my chair a bit closer to the TV and sign off for now xx

• 3 weeks later...

Just been to shops to get bread. Picked up loaf and then noticed it had “Merry Christmas” written on side. Others had “Let It Snow” on then, no dont let it, I hate snow especially when it gets slippy and sloppy.