Tribal Neighbourhoods

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speak for yourself Ayeupmeducks! At the moment I still feel like a teenager!! Still love music, although I prefer 60's stuff I enjoy listening to a lot of the more recent artists. Still have good h

After your post Ben I read up the page and came to Margies post from a few years ago...  Margie doing the birdy dance.... now there's a mental picture to treasure!    

#12 poohbear I remember the Arnold and Sherwood 'Rumble' I was there, It was around 1962 rather than the 50s unless there were two Rumbles, when a few friends and me went along with the Arnold lads

I've seen a few flare ups in the Locarno in the late 50s and they were gang related,Meadows and St Annes

I remember a lot of posing and glaring but not being a regular I probably missed your experiences.

There was a game we played at school called 'kick up',one football+ the ,3rd and 4th year classes ( all boys school).If you didn't join in you got thumped,and when you did join in, you had to hold on to your 'hollyhocks'.

• 2 years later...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Arnold and Sherwood lads didn't get on to say the least.An organised 'Rumble' was arranged on Woodthorpe Park in the fifties...unfortunately for Arnold ...Sherwood had many more allies than Arnold lads could come up with, which would have meant a right thrashing for any that turned up. ..................

This reminded me of my teenage years when I used to go just about every Summer evening to Woodthorpe Park. (After I'd done my homework!!). I was a Woodthorpe girl and lived very near to the park. It would be around1958 and 1959 and my friend had a portable record player which she took to the park. There was a big group of teenagers we would meet up with and I remember jiving in the shelter opposite the swings. They were mainly from Mapperley, but later there were some boys from Sherwood as well. I find it difficult to imagine what they would look like now as they are still teenagers in my mind. Can't remember if there was any major aggro between the groups.

A guy at school used to sucker punch me almost every day , He would come from behind & hit me in the Guts . Hope you are proud of it....... Brian Bloor.

Our school bully became a director of Deutsche Bank. He was always destined to turn out badly.

He was two years above me and was feared by everyone in our year. Unfortunately for him, he picked on a mate of mine and I took exception to it. We duly met after school (with me expecting a thrashing but too proud to back down) and it turned out he couldn't fight for toffee. He drew his fist back every time he meant to punch so I simply jabbed him twice in the face and stepped back. After I'd hit him maybe 15 or 20 times without reply the caretaker made us shake hands and that was the end of Carl Debenham's bullying career.

Amazing 20 punches

Not really. Hardly did any damage but he kept drawing his fist back telegraphing so he was never going to land one himself.

Sorry, just for a moment I thought you were being serious rather than sarcastic. I must give you less credit next time LOL.

#12 poohbear

I remember the Arnold and Sherwood 'Rumble' I was there, It was around 1962 rather than the 50s

unless there were two Rumbles, when a few friends and me went along with the Arnold lads just for a bit of fun.

When approaching Daybrook Square someone shouted Black marries. A lad put his arm around me and walked me

in a different direction out of the trouble. we were married in 1967 and together for forty seven years.

• Upvote 4

I remember that day so well SueB. After the Black Marias had gone and it all calmed down, What a laugh we had. We were only about 14, not got much sense then! So that's where you disappeared too, Huh, You left your bezzy mate for a lad. Well worth it though Miduck. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

This reminded me of my teenage years when I used to go just about every Summer evening to Woodthorpe Park. (After I'd done my homework!!). I was a Woodthorpe girl and lived very near to the park. It would be around1958 and 1959 and my friend had a portable record player which she took to the park. There was a big group of teenagers we would meet up with and I remember jiving in the shelter opposite the swings.

The one thing that sticks in my mind from those days on Woodthorpe Park was the good old 'Dansette' record players and one particular record.Whenever I hear it the picture in my mind is always the same. Woodthorpe park....The tune?...CATHYS CLOWN.

• Upvote 1

Were you from Mapperley? Yes I remember Cathy's Clown being played on the orange Dansette player .....

For some strange reason I can remember that Cathys Clown was numbered WB1and was the first record that Warner Brothers issued,(I can,t remember what I had for tea yesterday though)

Strange how teenage memories seem to be the clearest, especially the music. I can still remember all the words of the late fifties/very early sixties songs - and I still like most of them. Each song reminds me of a different person or a particular group of people or a certain holiday

• Upvote 3

So true. Anything by the Small Faces / Faces reminds me of beautiful times I have recently known.

Heartbreak Hotel reminds me of sitting in my bedroom playing the record over and over again - it was the first one I bought. Singing the blues sung by Tommy Steele (not Guy Mitchell) reminds me of walking home from school singing it in my head. Raining in my heart, all the other Buddy Holly songs and the Everley Brother's songs just take me back to my wonderful teenage years in general. Where did all the years go......

• Upvote 2

Talking to one of my first sweethearts who raved about Tommy Steele I remember the first time I asked "What's Rock n Roll?"

I also remember a few years later in a coffee bar saying..."Who are the Beatles?"

• Upvote 1

What were her answers? You must have been living in a different world to everyone else! Rock n Roll was a huge part of my life and that of all my friends, but at that age I suppose I thought that was true of everyone..

The last thing on an 11 year olds mind in the early fifties was music...it wasn't aimed at kids...Elvis was just a funny name rarely heard....but not for long.

I think you're talking a few years later Margie

I was 12 or 13 when I bought my first Elvis record. I don't think I really understood what he was singing about but liked the sound!

Seems we are mostly a bunch of old farts on here...LOL

Speak for yourself Ayeupmeducks! At the moment I still feel like a teenager!! Still love music, although I prefer 60's stuff I enjoy listening to a lot of the more recent artists. Still have good health thankfully and still enjoy my life. I'm not giving up just yet.

• Upvote 7

I remember the strange noises from the record player of the girl next door,Bill Hayley,Elvis etc. It wasn't until the Everley`s that I took an interest in ` pop ` music. When did `the Shadow' first become famous?