Couple of things firstly thinking of coming to your fair city for NY eve , is the city centre busy ? Or do you lot tend to stick to local areas for this night ?

Secondly been many many times to the city and normally drink around lace market or goose square(is that the name?) Any other areas i should chceck out ? We like decent beer and pubs but dont mind "trendy" bars but not places like walkabout yates rsvp ect.

Ive always noticed a small group of pubs top o derby road one called the ropewalk ,are they decent ?

Cheers!

yes snakey town centre can get very busy on ny eve you mention your are but most of us olduns stay out of centre on that nighti will be going whitehart lenton for my celerbrations as for pubs in town i not best one to as as apart from meet up i tend to drink out of town

I'd love to be able to give you the advice you require , but the city centre has changed so much in the last 10/15 years since I left. I still get over once or twice a year and I just find some of the "Weatherspoons" type more to my liking now (It's an age thing !!)

We used to try to end up in the "Market Square" for midnight and that used to be a hoot. For some reason our little crowd were always in fancy dress !!

Couple of things firstly thinking of coming to your fair city for NY eve , is the city centre busy ? Or do you lot tend to stick to local areas for this night ?

Secondly been many many times to the city and normally drink around lace market or goose square(is that the name?) Any other areas i should chceck out ? We like decent beer and pubs but dont mind "trendy" bars but not places like walkabout yates rsvp ect.

Ive always noticed a small group of pubs top o derby road one called the ropewalk ,are they decent ?

Cheers!

Hi snakeyb

I'm rarely to be seen anywhere near Nottingham at New Years but I can tell you a little about the pubs around Derby Road that you mention as I use those at other times of the year.

The Hand and Heart, Derby Road is in my view one of the very best pubs in Nottingham. Partly fashioned out of caves it has a mixed clientèle, good service and nice surroundings. Drinks a little bit on the pricey side (for Nottingham). A must visit if you're up that way I'd say.

Hawksleys, Derby Road is practically next door to the above and is a bit of an acquired taste. Sports bar upstairs with a big-ish screen.

The Ropewalk, Derby Road just a little further up the road sounds like the business for you. They have music (decks) after a certain time of night. Wide and varied drinks menu. Younger crowd in there.

The Sir John Borlace Warren, Canning Circus, is practically across the road from the above on the elongated traffic island. Again a cracking pub with a good choice of drinks. Several smaller rooms and an outdoor elevated terrace at the back which is quite atmospheric.

The Falcon, Canning Circus is next door to the Borlace. Small traditional pub with an open fireplace. Cosy.

The Organ Grinder, Alfreton Road is a few yard around the corner from The Falcon. It's a comparatively recent refurbishment and very much a real ale pub. Well regarded by everyone I know who visits there.

Take a few minutes walk down The Ropewalk towards the Nottingham Castle area and wind your way through a street or two and you also have the following:

The Roundhouse

The Castle

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem

All worth a visit for different reasons.

Happy New Year when it comes!

• Upvote 1

If all else fails, I find THIS site to be a decent source for pub reviews - and there are plenty in Nottingham!

Thanks very much for the replies!

The pubs around derby road sound right up my street ,cant beat a decent crawl around a handful of good pubs ,sounds like the kelham island area of sheffield.

And the vat & fiddle owned by castle rock brewery is on the hit list when the blades play county in the new year,handy its so near the station also

I don't think you will beat Derby Road area for a selection of decent pubs. Lot of pubs right in the centre of town of course and ,abe quite a bit busier, but not as nice as the pubs on Derby Road.

Another traditional pub crawl in Nottingham Is Mansfield Road:

The Forest Tavern (The Maze) - music pub

The Loft - bit deserted

Fade/Hard to Find Cafe -nice bar

The Lincolnshire Poacher - one of Nott's best pubs - real ale plae, same small local chain as Vat & Fiddle

The Nags Head - Average boozer with big screen

The Golden Fleece - decent pub with free music

The Peacock - unexeptional but pleasant enough

The Rose of England - wouldn't recommend

All these pubs are within a few mins walk along Mansfield Road running into the city. There are a lot of takeaway, curry houses, restaurants etc too. Wouldn't say the pubs were generally as nice as Derby Road area but it's decent enough and away from some of the madness in very central Nottingham whilst only a few mins walk away.

• Upvote 1