was wondering if that map shows Carlton -

Which map?

I've looked on a few sources and can't see a Loach's Lane where Tesco is now (although it obviously doesn't mean there wasn't one)

This, I believe, is Ouse Bridge. A small stream goes under the road at this point. http://goo.gl/maps/Dkosp

About 200 yards further on in Cliff Tons picture, on the left is Ousebridge Drive.

Not quite sure where Loaches Lane was . I was raised on Cavendish Road (More or less opposite the Cemetry House , by the main entrance , if that is the one.) and I don't recall any thoroughfare of that mane in the area. (Doesn't mean it didn't exist of course)

There was a "Twitchell" that ran from Carlton Square through to where Foxhill Road bent to the right to join Carlton Hill, (Round the back of the original Windsor Castle pub) but I don't remember it having a 'name' as such. It was just "The Jitty" to us . The original stream that made 'Valley and Foxhill Road ran through there and accross Carlton square as a ford (Way, way, way, before my time may I add )

Just spoken to my Mum (who still lives there on Cavendish Road) and she remembers a family of four living in the Cemetry House. Sadly she too doesn't know where Loaches Lane was.

OK , in this picture is Tescos as it is now.

8269128019_08f2244b66_b.jpg

The purple (ish) line shows where (From memory) The Twitchell ran, the beige line is the old course of Foxhill Road.

• Upvote 1

Now for the piece de resistance. Carlton circca 1914, showing the course of the roads and the actual name (Windsor Avenue)

8269127771_42538a5d6c_b.jpg

Sadly I can't find Loaches lane in it

If you look towards the top centre of the map , on Cemetery road (As it was known then) is marked 'Lodge', this is Cemetery House.

Perhaps a mod/admin could split this topic.

I worked at Brian Pulfrey the printer around that area for six long weeks in the early eighties - comfortably one of the worst six weeks of my life!

Used to set the tiny type for garment labels in the composing room there.

The place was full of girls though!

Situated opposite where it says 'Sawmill' on Foxhill road.

After many extensions being added they departed to Bingham Ind Est around 95?

Yes, sounds right.

A mish-mash of buildings with printing presses in there that looked to me like sewing machines after working at a proper printers before.

I had the extreme pleasure of telling the boss there to ram his job one Monday morning, walked out the front door and all the way back to Redhill!

the old st paul school was opposit the church on carlton hill i used to go to guides there and there was a small cottage at the back of the main buildingthe orrigional cemetary was at the back of that on foxhill rd carnt remember there being a houseon there though, i belive the new cemetary on cavendish rd was opened late 1800s i know my grand father clements was buried in there 1920 ish at the bottom end near were the toilets ar now on cavendish and my dad telling methat in them days only that part of the cemetary was ibn use.

i think ouse bridge ran beside the inn for a penny pub to the other side of conway rd were the loop rd runs today when i was young there used to be a large piece of waste ground net to the pub mum said it used to have houses on when she was little girl circa 1920

• 1 year later...

Re: Loaches Lane ( I am not 100% sure but it could be one of two) I have heard of the lane.

1. Behind the old post office . Between the post office and the old Carlton Central Primary school there was a lane that had a house on it and I think a factory or storage area of liquid chemicals. When I attend this school you could look out of the school gate in the lane straight across to the factory. It always had blue drums store outside

2nd location

At the corner of Cavendish Road and Carlton hill there was a lane there too. It went off at about a 30 degree angle from Carlton Hill More like a bike track that led up to foxhill road, as you walked up it, I remember a big tree on the right.

This path went up behind houses and on the right of the lane it was rough grass. It was a tarred surface, but I never saw cars on it. On the google map now it would certainly be under TESCO. This maybe the one.

My last post just brought back more memories. I used to deliver newspapers for a newsagent on Foxhill road around 1959 1960 that was where I had heard of Loaches Lane. Although I delivered around that area I did not deliver to that lane. My cousin Brian Shelton used to be the manager of the newsagents. His family, my aunt Mildred Shelton used to live in Marwood Crescent, Just off the top end of Cavendish Road. The first house in on the left. My cousin Ann migrated to Canada around 1964/5. My uncle if I remember correctly was involved in the government in some way before he died. I think he may have been a local member. I remember something about putting up posters in house windows and shops supporting him. I think his name was Arthur Shelton.

I had another Aunt and Uncle living on Foxhill road until 1967/8. Their daughter ( Velda) migrated to Australia about 1964, her mother and father followed her around 1968. Their name was Newton

On the subject of Loach Lane, I haven't found it yet, but I've come across a reference which might give a clue. In the London Gazette 1934 is a reference to Loach Builders, who at that time were based on Westdale Lane. It's in the right area, and maybe the Lane was named after some connection with the builders - who still exist but are now in Colwick.

loach.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carltonlad ,

I was interested in your Sheltons as my great-grandma was also a Shelton born in Carlton , as was her father .

However I haven't gone back far enough yet to establish a link with your lot .

Could your cousin have been Brian A. Shelton born in 1934 in Netherfield . Mum and dad Alfred (not Albert ) and Mildred (nee Bennett) ????

If he is , there is a long line of Alfred Sheltons that go back to at least 1818 starting from Stoke Bardolph .

I would bet a pound that Brian A. Shelton's middle name was Alfred ! ( If he is the right one !)

david there were a family of sheltons who lived on dunston st netherefield who were heavily involved in running the scouts leaders for many yearsour neighbour linda hill married there son rob and until recently was still a leaderat the cubs and scouts in netherfieldrob died a few years agobut linda still lives on dunston st this family might be related to your shelton relitives

Thanks both , will have to look at those Sheltons too .

At Gedling School in the 60s , one of my pals was a Mick Shelton , so theres a lot of 'em about !

It would take some sorting out , just had a quick look on the 1911 Census and in Notts , there were:

44 Sheltons born Carlton

9 Sheltons born Netherfield

11 Sheltons born Gedling

Just to complicate matters there were also 312 Sheltons born in Nottingham town !

Hi DavidW

You are 100% right.

Mildred was my mothers sister.

Thank you for reminding me of Alf's name. I should not have forgot it. As I stayed many a night with them in Marwood Crescent when I was little.

Also my other Aunt Gladys Newton was also Bennett. Sister of my mother Iris and Mildred.

Also related to Billy Bennett the Netherfield window clean. His wife is Grandmother of Jimmy87 notts.

Can I PM you with some personal info. Or you can PM me.

Sorry I pressed the post button to early.

Brian was 13 years older than me ( He would be about 79 now if he is still alive), His sister Ann was about 6 years older than me. She moved to Canada, Got married and had two Children. 1 boy and 1 girl.

I cannot remember if Brian was married, I think he was.

Was I correct in remembering Alf Shelton being involved in politics?

Carltonlad , despite my great-grandma being a Shelton from Carlton , I don't actually know any Sheltons unfortunately .

All the info I have given above is from birth / marriage records online not from any personal knowledge . I can't find a relevant Carole Shelton . (Think your link in #25 is wrong) .

There is a Brian A Shelton living not far from Carlton of the right age , I will PM the details .

This is possibly your Bennett family in 1911 living at Second Ave , though can't see your Iris . I think Samuel William Bennett married a Emily Phipps .

12075038803_96db963ece_c.jpg