Burtons Supermarket Location

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dunno, but it looks like Denshaw is up to his tricks again, Get down Denshaw

Lower Parliament street photo taken after 1960 but before building work on The Victoria Centre was begun 1968 The building with Payne on it was demolished along with The Miltons Head Hotel at that ti

That subject was featured in this thread only a few days ago http://nottstalgia.c...wtopic=2277&hl=

Lower Parliament street photo taken after 1960 but before building work on The Victoria Centre was begun 1968

The building with Payne on it was demolished along with The Miltons Head Hotel at that time.

I believe Burtons became a "Fine Fare" supermarket in later years.

• Upvote 1

But now the subject has come up again, it reminded me of another shot of it - via the RCTS website - from the other side. Taken from the location of the old platforms of Victoria Station after the site had been cleared.

burt.jpg

About yes, but about 20-25 feet above ground level

I meant to make this comment about post number 9

Yes but did they relocate or close completely after the demolition of the Parliament Street shop?

The archway to the left was the entrance to St Stephen's church demolished when the Victoria Station was built.

• Upvote 1

Name of Company: RICHARD PAYNE LIMITED.

Nature of Business: IRONMONGERS.

Address of Registered Office: 11 Lower Parliament

Street, Nottingham.

Liquidators' Names and Addresses: R. F. Bendall,

Ellison House, Highfield Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham,

and Richard C. Turton, Clumber

Avenue, Sherwood Rise, Nottingham.

Date of Appointment: 10th May 1968.

By whom Appointed: Creditors.

(458)

It's just I've got in my head that there was a "Payne's Tools" in Nottingham in the 1970s. Thinks ... was there a place on Clinton Street just down from the D&P???

I thought there was one on George Street. I just cannot remember the name, just remember it being double fronted.

I was employed as a pipe lagger, starting in the 60's, the skilled laggers used a 'laggers steels' which consisted of several pieces of flat spring steel about 12" x 2" (varying) used to smooth the wet insulation coating on the pipes.

These were supplied on special order from Paynes Tools, although I had no idea where the shop was, it was certainly in Nottingham possibly near the Futurist in Basford????

"I believe Burtons became a "Fine Fare" supermarket in later years."

Certainly was, i was assistant manager at this store,remember the opening day,the first 200 customers received a frozen chicken , a very quite opening and some customers got up to 3 chickens

The chickens were going cheep

• 4 weeks later...

There were seven Paynes listed my directory of 1972 none of them sold "hardware".

I always used to look for the horse above the shop next to Payne's when walking along Parliament St. with my mum when a kid, there was a tobacco shop nearby I seem to remember..

Dennis

I wondered when someone would mention that tobacconists...little single storey over the railway lines if I remember right.That horse was above a vets practice there in Victorian days.I wonder if that went to the Grosvenor on Mansfield Road...or was that one already there?