Burtons Supermarket Location

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dunno, but it looks like Denshaw is up to his tricks again, Get down Denshaw

Lower Parliament street photo taken after 1960 but before building work on The Victoria Centre was begun 1968 The building with Payne on it was demolished along with The Miltons Head Hotel at that ti

That subject was featured in this thread only a few days ago http://nottstalgia.c...wtopic=2277&hl=

Re Ironmongers there was .... Walter Danks in that area.

Thurland Street/Clinton Street, it seems.........this is when they were boarded up waiting for demolition

dank.jpg

A great sign of the times.....the location is now the site of a Nail Parlour!

I was passing this afternoon and I stopped and had a good look.

Sometimes, perspectives seem to get a bit distorted in photographs and looking at the ones posted on here, the area between the old Miltons Head and Cripps seems longer then than it does now. It seemed difficult to imagine all those buildings, the tobacconist, Paynes, Burtons, Boots, the Original D&P in the space.

Then I had a thought, the pavement area outside the Vic Centre entrance is very much greater now than it was then, plus the fact that Milton Street is probably wider too, so perhaps that bit of Parliament Street has shrunk a little bit. Does that sound plausible?

The other side of the street is just as interesting too. I knew there was a sort of big hole with a wall round it where the trains passed under before they entered the tunnel, but why didn't they just put the tunnel entrance immediately the other side of Parliament Street?

It's very easy to picture it even today, with Clinton St. East and Clinton St. West still in place and Bon Marche where the hole was.

I only realised today that 'Station Buildings' on the corner is still there, now Lloyds Bank.

I stood there so long gazing at the buildings, people must have thought I was a bit bewildered!

The other side of the street is just as interesting too. I knew there was a sort of big hole with a wall round it where the trains passed under before they entered the tunnel, but why didn't they just put the tunnel entrance immediately the other side of Parliament Street?

It's very easy to picture it even today, with Clinton St. East and Clinton St. West still in place and Bon Marche where the hole was.

I only realised today that 'Station Buildings' on the corner is still there, now Lloyds Bank.

When the hole was being dug.....

tunnel-1.jpg

And today...same building on the left

tunnel1-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

What's going on in the bottom picture??? Is it just roadworks or is it for the Trams???? Looks like I'll be finding out for myself in a months time when I hit the streets of Nottingham for a short visit :D

Building on the corner of Clinton Street West & Lower Parliament is a Watson Fathergill building

Until the railway was built Clinton street East was known as Haughton Street & Clinton Street West was just Clinton Street.

I always used to look for the horse above the shop next to Payne's when walking along Parliament St. with my mum when a kid, there was a tobacco shop nearby I seem to remember..

Dennis

I would always drag my mother to the top of the ramp leading to Victoria Station to watch the trains. :)

What's going on in the bottom picture??? Is it just roadworks or is it for the Trams???? Looks like I'll be finding out for myself in a months time when I hit the streets of Nottingham for a short visit :D

No. Just road works at the time Streetview went through.

Here's another view of the hole being built. The road bridge across the top is Parliament Street. The Fothergill building previously mentioned with rounded windows is visible on the left.

clin.jpg

I would always drag my mother to the top of the ramp leading to Victoria Station to watch the trains. :)

It makes me sad to think I was taken on trips to Nottingham many a time when the station was still there and in use.

If only I'd known it was due to be closed and lost forever, I could have gone and had a look.

At least I would have some memories of it!

Have just looked at the thread called 'Great Central Maps' and the reason for the hole became clear.

The reason the tunnel didn't start immediately the other side of Parliament Street was because there were too many tracks.

All the tracks under Parly St. had to be narrowed down to just two before they could enter the tunnel,

The reason for the hole between Clinton St. East & West was to give enough distance to do this.

Or to put it another way, coming into Vic Stn. it gave enough space for the tracks to fan out before entering the platforms.

Simples! (I bet I'm the last to realise this!)

Now that one in the link is really interesting.

The bridge has obviously been cut back to what it was originally and the ground level appears to have been raised to some extent.

Is the space under the bridge now filled in, or is there still a form of bridge under Parliament Street?

I guess the photographer would have been standing on Milton St, roughly where John Lewis or Gap is now.

I love these, just when you think you've seen all the pictures, another fascinating one comes along!

The bridge has obviously been cut back to what it was originally and the ground level appears to have been raised to some extent.

Is the space under the bridge now filled in, or is there still a form of bridge under Parliament Street?

Is there still a bridge? I hadn't realised the link, but if you look back at post #36 in this thread there is a Streetview picture of the road today. I now recall that those roadworks were something to do with strengthening/repairing the bridge (which you are totally unaware of when you are on the road)

• 5 months later...

Bamber, there was another tool/ironmonger shop across the road from Paynes called Carr & Co. There were no tool shops on the Clinton Street's. I forget which was east & west, but on the one nearest Clumber St. was a Large Paint Shop with a Snooker Hall above kept by a guy called Roy. on the other street was a Locksmith. Two other Tool Shops in the area were Pools Tools at the top of Hockley & Kays Tools on the corner of Hockley & that little street that goes through to Cranbrook Street.

Is there still a bridge? I hadn't realised the link, but if you look back at post #36 in this thread there is a Streetview picture of the road today. I now recall that those roadworks were something to do with strengthening/repairing the bridge (which you are totally unaware of when you are on the road)

If you go to the Victoria Centre toilets, the underground ones near the water clock, the toilets are on the right and on the left is a long corridor which appears to go under Parliament Street.

Presumably it is a remnant (the last?) of Parliament Street bridge. Is it some kind of emergency exit?