I know (Or I'm pretty sure) I got this off of here a few years ago, I rediscovered it today whilst trolling through my favourites links, I can't find the original link on here anywhere so I thought I'd re post it as it's quite interesting, and may be of interest to the new , and not so new , members.

http://www.nottingha...leid=4116#I J K

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Late1959/early 1960 Col, perhaps would have been pre-proto Jaycats, can't remember. Ivan Jay was in this band I think before Lee who joined us very shortly after. We had a regular turnover of members,

A few more 'celebs' from around these parts (verified by Mr Google):   Richard Beckinsale (Carlton). Bill Roache (Basford). Peter Bowles (London-born but moved to Hyson Green when

Think we've been here before...   I was taught English at High Pavement by the late Stanley Middleton, author of many novels and Booker Prize winner. I was at High Pavement with Harold

It is a few years old , as I said i found it in my old 'favourites' list , covered in dust and cobwebs..... Saying that it has been updated on a few entries, but things like Carl Frochs lates victories get no mention

Just found this mistake !!

DJANOGLY, Harry, Sir (1938 - ) Industrialist

One of four children Harry Djanogly and his family fled Nazi Germany in 1936 for the safety of England.

Can anybody else see it ?

Hello

Thank you for your suggestions for additions to the Nottinghamshire Notables web pages.

We will investigate and hopefully add them in due course.

Libraries and Information Service

Department of Communities

Nottingham Central Library

Angel Row

Nottingham

NG1 6HP

Tel: (0115) 915 2846

Fax: (0115) 915 2840

We wish you a Merry Fitness and a Happier New Year!

Join the Flexible Fitness health and fitness membership scheme in December and get January’s membership FREE! Get fit and feel great for Christmas and burn off those extra calories in January for FREE! Visit www.mynottingham.gov.uk/flexiblefitness

Libraries and Information Service

Department of Communities

Nottingham Central Library

Angel Row

Nottingham

NG1 6HP

Tel: (0115) 915 2846

Fax: (0115) 915 2840

We wish you a Merry Fitness and a Happier New Year!

Join the Flexible Fitness health and fitness membership scheme in December and get January’s membership FREE! Get fit and feel great for Christmas and burn off those extra calories in January for FREE! Visit www.mynottingham.gov.uk/flexiblefitness

Very nice of them to add (Or try to) Anybody else notice any significant Nottingham folk missing off of the list ?

Found one myself straightaway .... William (Billy) Ivory local Actor , Author , and great playwrite all round nice guy , and ( I'm proud to say, ) My mate.

I just hate to be pedantic, but what the heck!!

The correct word is Playwright as in Wheelwright (but not)....................... :laugh:

From Beefy's original post:

SHERBROOKE, Robert ("Rupert") St Vincent (1901 - 1972) Naval hero.

\snip\

I had occasion to meet this man. As teenage schoolkids a group of us were interested in ghost hunting. I was selected to approach the Admiral's house in order to ask permission from him to ghost hunt in the old Oxton Hall. To my surprise he readily gave consent and spent a long time talking about the place!

• 4 weeks later...

All the Medders folks were famous. Me included. Don't know about those from the less well-off areas of Nottingham. I mean the Medders was the pinacle of style and elegance. Nobody could wear their wellies like we could.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

When I was in Yates Wine Lodge ie The Talbot was in my twenties am 64 now and remember that famous character who used to frequent there he wouldn't be that unusual today with our different standards, but everyone new Albert Brown the flamboyant gay chap, I didn't know much about him just to say ayup Albert, remember the buckles on his shoes and his cravat(bit like Quentin Crisp), He died a long while ago now, anyone now about him? ie What year he was buried and where, what he died from, his family, where he lived, what was his job?

That link at the top of the page from last year doesn't seem to go anywhere for me but I assume it should have linked to this :

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4116

Sherry Hewson (Hutchinson) was at Gedling School , a year younger than me but we used to go round to her house in Burton Joyce often as they had a lot of parties .

My best mate fancied her and she actually mentions that in her book . Her brother Brett was a DJ at the Palais for quite a while , may have called himself Paul Brett ? Says in the blurb that she was from a show biz family but I only remember her mum having a clothes shop on Hockley and her dad dealt in textiles .

Her cousin is Gary Birtles .

Another famous Gedling pupil was Steve Hodge of Forest , Spurs and England fame .

I'm glad the list included Fred Karno (as in Fred Karnos Army) as I have an old book about him from the 1930s and a few cuttings . He wasn't born in Nottingham but was raised there and it was him that discovered and featured Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel in his touring troupe .

Sheery Hewson used to go out with Rob Duffy who was in the Nottingham band The Children and has mentioned him a couple of times on Loose Women - don't know if it is the book as I have not read it.