Will2017, thanks for the tip about the 'Playedinaband' site.  A goldmine of info.

Found this:

Whichwhat pictured on the stage of the 360 Club in 1969.  50 years ago!  I've consulted my 1969 diary and we had them booked on Sunday 2nd Feb 1969, and Saturday 19th April 1969, so very likely one of those dates.  I will almost certainly have DJ'd both nights.

Just for interest, the Exit sign just visible is over the 'Stage Door'/Fire Escape on the side wall of the club.  Looking out of there you'd see St Mary's Church and a view down towards Boowul Market.

I don't know if the fire escape has survived the conversion of the 360 club into flats.

43425.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Late1959/early 1960 Col, perhaps would have been pre-proto Jaycats, can't remember. Ivan Jay was in this band I think before Lee who joined us very shortly after. We had a regular turnover of members,

A few more 'celebs' from around these parts (verified by Mr Google):   Richard Beckinsale (Carlton). Bill Roache (Basford). Peter Bowles (London-born but moved to Hyson Green when

Think we've been here before...   I was taught English at High Pavement by the late Stanley Middleton, author of many novels and Booker Prize winner. I was at High Pavement with Harold

Hi Will,

According to my diary, we had Tiny Davis and Litter on Sun 16th Feb, and Fri 28th March 1969.  You must've been decent or you wouldn't have got asked back!!    ;)

I DJ'd both.  I also have a vague memory of a band called 'Tiny Davis' Souls A Go-Go', but not sure whether that's imagination.  Can you shed any light?

Hi DJ360, Thank you for your comment. The 360 was a good club for live entertainment. Tiny Davis was the singer in Tiny Davis Souls A Go-Go.  From recollection,prior to members leaving,the band had lead and bass guitars, drums,keyboard, two saxes,trumpet and female backing singers. Tiny was asked to join Litter after the original singer,Win Jones, left.

Tiny (Vic Johnson) was the singer in the Newtones  whose bass player  later played in the Reg Guest Trio.

Thanks for that Will.  As you say, 360 was a good club for live entertainment and while it was being run by us we had most of the well known local bands on, and a good few from outside the area.

Also, since I DJ'd at the 360, Carlton Hotel, 76 Club Burton and many other places under the banner of the 'Magic Roundabout Disc Show', I like to think it was good for recorded music too!.  Although I'm not sure any of us realised it at the time, we were in the vanguard of what later became the Northern Soul scene.  We weren't 'purist' about it in the way that 'Northern' eventually became, but we played much of the relatively obscure  music which was later  'adopted' into the 'Northern Soul' canon.

However, we also played the slower and funkier soul from the likes of Stax and Atlantic, Minit, VeeJay etc., which wasn't adopted so much by the 'Northern' crowd, presumably because it didn't quite fit their favourite rhythm and BPM requirements.   We also played lots of Ska/Rocksteady/Bluebeat/Reggae etc., as well as having a general guarantee that we'd play anything 'danceable' from the charts each week.

Some of the bands we booked included: Carl's Fables, Clockwork Toys, Whichwhat, Pete and Billy Campbell and the Mighty Sparrows, Nerve, Sons and Lovers, Mickie's Monkeys, Octopus, Six Across, Root n Jenny Jackson, Baker St Ltd (Who became the original 'Samson'), Roy Gee and the Stax Explosion, St Louis Union.  Many other names in my diary for bands which I have little or no memory of, such as Emery Chase, Land of Love, Flavour, Mark Bristol Five, The Grass, Mint, Phoenix City, Decoy Soul Band, Favourites, Red Wine Fair, Stroll Band ( I wrote 'poor' in my diary), Woody Kern, Heart's Art, Bitter Suite, Undermilkwood.

Happy days!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

The drummer that lived on Newquay rd.was his name Martin Jackson if so i went to the PCFE we were in the same class MVMR.i think he worked at Atkeys and played a few times in the basement at the NAAFI club this would be 1967 or 1968 iremember his father had a 1950s Sunbeam Alpine which we were always tinkering with

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi Ian, Great to hear from you too!  Still got guitars but spend most of my time writing novels nowadays, "Believe Me, the Lost Treasure of the Templars, " "The Blade, Ben McVeigh & the Templar Poignard," and soon to be published: "Running with Fynn McCool" and sequal: "To Hook a Gilded Bird".  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hey up, Ian. Sorry I haven't replied earlier... been busy writing!  First published in 2017, but obviously started well before that. I played in several Nottingham (obscure) bands including: The Paranoiax, Grindles People and then the Mighty Sparrows. When in the Sparrows, we were the resident band at the Calypso Club in the Lace Market. Carried on in the motor trade and ended up as a Consulting Auto-Engineer working mainly for the Trading Standards (as was) and many Nottm Solicitors. I fitted that in with teaching at West Notts College, and became Course Coordinator with Derby Uni teaching Engineering Sciences for Foundation Degree Motorsport. 

.Hi Okay M'Duck hope everything is going ok with you in spite of this wicked virus how is your writing going? i am still working as we are considered an essential service but most things in town have come to an abrupt stop.I only made a couple of trips to Norfolk and both times were to Hunstanton the first trip was in 1964 when the Midland General Bus Company  motor rally club had a day trip there we all travelled in a convoy me driving my old faithful 1960 Morris 1000 and the second trip was about eight years ago when Jill and i and her cousin and his wife went for five days very nice coast and countryside.Going back to the days at Atkeys can you remember a chap by the name of Bernard Bowler he was a salesman there and called at my fathers garage at Watnall about every two weeks trying to flog BMC parts.Anyway take care keep clear of the virus and good luck with your book.

• 7 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 2:17 AM, IAN FINN said:

.Hi Okay M'Duck hope everything is going ok with you in spite of this wicked virus how is your writing going? i am still working as we are considered an essential service but most things in town have come to an abrupt stop.I only made a couple of trips to Norfolk and both times were to Hunstanton the first trip was in 1964 when the Midland General Bus Company  motor rally club had a day trip there we all travelled in a convoy me driving my old faithful 1960 Morris 1000 and the second trip was about eight years ago when Jill and i and her cousin and his wife went for five days very nice coast and countryside.Going back to the days at Atkeys can you remember a chap by the name of Bernard Bowler he was a salesman there and called at my fathers garage at Watnall about every two weeks trying to flog BMC parts.Anyway take care keep clear of the virus and good luck with your book.

Hi Ian, been a long time getting back to you, sorry for that!  Back down in lockdown again but things could be worse I s'pose!  Yep, I do remember the name you mention, and if it's the same bloke, he certainly loved his ale!  My novel, RUNNING with FINN McCOOL was published on the 1st of September on Amazon under my author name, Martin R Jackson.  Getting five-star reviews!  My next novel is already written and ready to go.  TO HOOK a GILDED BIRD should be published early next year.  Both novels are historical thrillers involving the Special Irish Branch and the protagonist James Asher, who is given an alternative to the gallows.  The young man, accused of murder, is given an alternative; to go under cover and spy on the Invincibles, a band of Irish insurrectionist.  Enough said before I spoil it!  Thanks for the good wishes, Ian, and keep safe!  

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H5TDFQ7/ 

Hi Martin good to hear from you glad everyone is ok, i have ordered your latest book FINN McCool should be here next week. I have got to get into shape now we are getting a blizzard on Sunday with between 30-40 cms of snow so there will be lots of shovelling. I will be purchasing your latest book in the New Year. Take care and stay safe Happy Writing Ian.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ian, Brilliant that you have bought my book, Running with Finn McCool, thank you so much!  I look forward to your thoughts on it!  The other novel, To Hook a Gilded Bird, is just going through a final proof reading at the mo (having no publishing agent, this is a DIY jobby!).  I'm told by the misses that this book is the best she's ever read, but her review's obviously biased!!!  It's a much faster reading historical-thriller, a murder/mystery involving the Special Irish Branch and a London gang of female villains known as the Forty Elephants.  Yes, they really existed; the story being, their name derived from Elephant & Castle area plus the fact they looked like fat elephants after their thieving forages in London's department stores!  You can find posts about the books on Twitter montyjaxon1, email montyjaxon@yahoo.co.uk

All the very best for Christmas and the New Year!

Kind regards,

Martin 

Hi Martin i am really enjoying your Finn McCool novel just about at the end the train is coming into Watford dont know what will happen some twist of fate i would imagine. Reading the book you can sense dirt and the fog of Victorian London and the gaslight ghoul feeling. Its a great novel  i will be getting your next one To Hook A Gilded Bird. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year be careful with the covid Ian and Jill.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

just took a few moments to read about Nottingham companies. After reading about Lymns furneral company I thought about other's that had Nottingham backgrounds.

one that i did not see was "Hopewells" this was also  a family company

The first shop was on St Ann's Well rd  they lived on Robin Hood chase To-day they are still going strong 

Not company but they famous  people

Bendigo                            Sue Pollard                       William Booth                  Leslie Crowther          

the boxer             

Harold Larwood                 Hidi/Hi  tv show              Salvation Army                   actor                                                                                      cricketer

Jake Bug                           Alan Sillitoe                        Mr Marks /Mr Spencer         Mr Griffin/

song writer singer            Writer Saturday night        Started on one of Nottm         also was on Market

markets                                                                                                                        D H Lawrence Eastwood notts                Jane Torvil /Christopher Dean 

Son's & lovers                                               Won Gold Olympics ice skaters                                                                                                           

Can you name any more????????

• 2 weeks later...

The most important one of all????

ROBIN HOOD???