• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Late1959/early 1960 Col, perhaps would have been pre-proto Jaycats, can't remember. Ivan Jay was in this band I think before Lee who joined us very shortly after. We had a regular turnover of members,

A few more 'celebs' from around these parts (verified by Mr Google):   Richard Beckinsale (Carlton). Bill Roache (Basford). Peter Bowles (London-born but moved to Hyson Green when

Think we've been here before...   I was taught English at High Pavement by the late Stanley Middleton, author of many novels and Booker Prize winner. I was at High Pavement with Harold

Old Fred was a couple of years above me in HP.  We're on the same school photo.

Mention of Rob Duffy and The Children.  Wasn't Rob also in Lovin' and Nerve?

Also Freda Jackson,   Film and Theatre actress.   Wikipedia doesn't mention it but she was apparently at High Pavement early on.. when it was a Co-Ed school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freda_Jackson

Col

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Just curious as to anyone got a claim to fame to knowing a well known person from Nottingham.

Whose friend or relative is the most well known, richest, or interesting?

Playwright,scriptwriter and author Michael Eaton M.B.E. is my cousin.

Regards,

Will 2017

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Anybody heard of Sir John Peace ?

You should have.

Mrs C knew him when she worked at Experian, decent bloke by all accounts.

• Like 1

Sir John Peace's wiki page makes for interesting reading for anyone in that sector of work.

I've a varied connection with him through the 70's and 80's.

He's now Lord Lieutenant of Nottingham amongst other duties.

It's just that I drove past Expierians building today and noticed its actually called 'The Sir John Peace Building', and wondered if in 50 years time as the building is being demolished people will be questioning who he was.

William Booth         not sure if it's Sir William Booth founder of

SALVATION ARMY

Think we've been here before...

I was taught English at High Pavement by the late Stanley Middleton, author of many novels and Booker Prize winner.

I was at High Pavement with Harold Shipman.

I worked with the father of the late Alvin Lee of 'Ten Years After' fame.

Zoot Money nearly tripped over me in the Beachcomber.

I've met RadfordRed.

Will that do?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

IAN123    ???

12 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Sir John Peace's wiki page makes for interesting reading for anyone in that sector of work.

I've a varied connection with him through the 70's and 80's.

He's now Lord Lieutenant of Nottingham amongst other duties.

It's just that I drove past Expierians building today and noticed its actually called 'The Sir John Peace Building', and wondered if in 50 years time as the building is being demolished people will be questioning who he was.

It will be student flats by then. 

• Like 2

Jaycats?  Jaybirds?  Jaymen?

Late1959/early 1960 Col, perhaps would have been pre-proto Jaycats, can't remember. Ivan Jay was in this band I think before Lee who joined us very shortly after. We had a regular turnover of members, about one every 3 weeks or so including me eventually. I could do rhythm or bass and doing a gig in the Radford youth club (which became Clements piano showroom) the then bass player took a turn on the stage upright piano to sing Cockran's 'Something Else', lending me his red Fender precision bass (deep joy) it being a feature of that song. He was known I believe as Max and he replaced me soon after. There was a regular rhythm player who survived me in that band who later I believe went on to seek his fortune on cruise ship entertainment. At one time we had a drummer who lived down Newquay avenue.

One thing very evident to me at that time was the single-minded determination and ambition to succeed in this career which motivated Jay and Lee. They insisted on the same commitment from everybody, which was not my style at the time.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Gigged in a band with Alvin Lee and Ivan Jay in 1960.

The playedinaband site has information on these groups.I used to sing ""Somethin' Else" in one band in which I played.

Will2017

• Like 2

Dunno worrappened, because I was obsessed with music as an adolescent. One of my best mates at the time Bob Wyville (sadly deceased), and his younger brother Graeme, formed a band called the Hound Dogs while still at school. I seemed to drift off more towards motorbikes and other stuff.

SMqy000PM5amkjKwpVCcwk_O-dSOO_0I_y44f6xI

Graeme went on to be in various bands including Rainbow Sunset, then a stint in the BBC created band 'Highly Likely', who did the theme to Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads'.  I think he was also in Paper Lace for a while. These days he's playing bass in the Billy Fury Story.  Last I heard Alan Carnell was running a recruitment business.  Rick Kenton went on to a spell with Roxy Music and a solo career.

I went on to a spectacularly non musical career, unless you count the few times I've stuck my finger in my ear and sung the odd Whaling (wailing?) Song in a folk club.

• Like 1