Great Aunt and Uncle lived on Winster Close in Lenton Abbey and it was always like going to the country when we visited as there were wide grass verges along Woodside Rd and Uncle had a garden with flowers, veg and a lawn! Not only that, he had a shed and a couple of deck chairs. Fantastic.

On a summers evening we would wak down to The Priory which was a Mitchells and Butlers pub at the time, and would have half an hour on the swings on the Rec. Back at Uncles we would have a long game of Newmarket with the grown-ups having a glass of Forest Brown then we would 'bus back to town late evening. Great times with simple pleasures.

• Upvote 2

I was born on Romily Close in Lenton Abbey, we left when I was 5, to move to Mapperley. Remember playing some where we called "over the tins", think it was a tin fence we used to climb over up near the university grounds now.

Also a place we called sandbanks, as it was all sand stone and we used to dig tunnels in it. Somewhere up Derby road I think.

We also used to hunt frogs in the woolaton park lake and there was also a military tattoo on woolaton park I remember. My brother, older than me, came home with lots of rifle "blanks" that had been fired.

We kept chickens and rabbits for meat and eggs, gran used to cure the rabbit pelts and make mittens out of them and slippers !

• Upvote 1

Also a place we called sandbanks, as it was all sand stone and we used to dig tunnels in it. Somewhere up Derby road I think

....An activity compulsory for kids (And adults) in Nottingham for a couple of thousand years. :)

Remember playing some where we called "over the tins", think it was a tin fence we used to climb over up near the university grounds now.

Also a place we called sandbanks, as it was all sand stone and we used to dig tunnels in it. Somewhere up Derby road I think.

Is this the same area which is discussed in this thread, starting at about post #75 http://nottstalgia.c...topic=228&st=60

The area I called over the tins, was on woodside road backing onto the tottle brook I think.

The other area was up Derby road on Right hand side near Sandy lane, I checked on Google for whereabouts.

....An activity compulsory for kids (And adults) in Nottingham for a couple of thousand years. :)

...as in "If you want your own room, start digging!"

• 1 year later...

I hope they find something...Charles Deering in 1751 listed some finds but said that the stonework couldn't have disappeared more completely if the locals had razed the abbey to the ground.

• 1 year later...
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 0:47 PM, Commo said:

On a summers evening we would wak down to The Priory which was a Mitchells and Butlers pub at the time

Blinking hector theres some cash in Nottingham The Old Priory reopens tomorrow night it's gone all posh called "Millers & Carter Steakhouse" steaks start @ twenty odd quid & its booked solid.

http://www.millerandcarter.co.uk/restaurants/east-and-west-midlands/millerandcarterwollaton

• 2 years later...