Is 'Arthur Short Plant' still around in Nottingham? Always had a chuckle when I saw his stuff on sites :) Gave me th evision of someone never succeeding in growing a tall sunflower and nicknamed 'Short plant' as a result :)

Dewey, Cheatham & Howe - Solicitors!

There used to be a "Gentleman's Club" in Roanoke, Virginia called "CTT's"!

Here's on e that Rob237 would have appreciated: The solicitors Turner, Fletcher and Essex were around at the time that the Essex cricket club had Glen Turner and Keith Fletcher playing for them and I saw them together one day at Trent Bridge :)

Anyone remember the company that went by the name of "Spook Erections"? Used to do market stalls, sure I saw one of their vans round Nottingham regularly.... and it looks like they're still in business!

http://www.spookerection.com/index.php

Check out the logo!

I've also remembered the long-established company on Vernon Road in Basford called "Flashing Services", which is owned by a Mr. Balls.... honest!

He was a regular customer when I worked for GT Cars, very nice bloke who used to throw my rather straight-laced manager into total confusion by announcing himself as "Balls, Flashing Services".

• Upvote 1

Scriv, I recall Spook Erections were around in the 70's, reponsible for providing services; stall, loos etc at many large Boot Fairs, one of which was on the A46 twixt Newark & Leicester

Back to the first one, there was a company in Colwick called "Long" who provided big rubbish skips with "Long" emblazoned down the side. I often thought "No 541t Sherlock !!" when I saw one. (They were about 20 foot in length)

Thomas Long, builders, skip hire etc etc.

The very same. Owned by a bloke called Roger Radford, who lived in Burton Joyce; he used to drink at the Red Lion in Thurgarton, his wife and my mum were friends. Roger was also big pals with Dave Watts, of the eponymous plant firm on Wells Road.

I don't know if they're still going..... and (to take the thread back to the OP) that's the Long and the Short of it! :laugh: