Notts County dumped out of the FA Cup

Went to Meadow Lane the first time in a couple of years last night after an aborted attempt at last week's postponed fixture.

Notts 0 - 3 Rotherham hardly even tells the story of a game where the Magpies were never at the races - it could have been six or seven nil and I don't exaggerate.

From the beginning, Notts seemed to want to just play their neat football - without getting stuck in and winning the battles presented by a tenacious League 2 side all over the pitch. In around half an hour they were two down and reduced to ten men after a silly and unnecessary incident. After forty minutes or so it was game over and playing for pride time at 0-3. Debut goalkeeper, local boy, Mitchell. after a fine early save had a torrid and nervous time though was not helped by a sieve-like Notts rearguard.

The sparse crowd, no doubt hit by pre-Christmas finances and the lack of appeal of the Cup grew increasingly disgruntled and they could hardly be blamed for that. Notts were second to everything and totally outplayed by a Rotherham side who themselves were playing some neat football and slicing open the middle of the host's defence time after time.

In the second half Notts' ten men fought back manfully but could not create any openings whatsoever. Meanwhile the visitors went close on several occasions. Notts looked completely toothless up front with barely pass marks possibly only being afforded to Bishop and to a degree, Judge, in the middle of the park. Wide man, Rice showed some good footwork and fast feet but nevertheless, little output.

Manager, Curle presided over all this fairly impassionately . It was interesting to hear the very mixed views from Notts fans about his abilities or otherwise - definitely a very mixed vote on the former Wimbledon player - despite County being only six points from the top of League 1.

If last night was indicative of Notts County 2012/13 then I feel they have a long way to go and would see them slipping further down the division. Let's hope it was something of a one-off because they were truly poor in practically every respect last evening.

A fair assessment there Stu and thanks for it.

I too was trying to get over last Tuesday but heard it had been called off after I had set off !

They certainly sound like a different side to the one that beat Crewe on the first day of the season.

I actually got to the ground last week and found it in darkness. I wish I had last night!

Seriously though, friends who I was with tell me they play some nice stuff at times and I can believe that. It just seemed like last night they weren't interested in getting stuck in, in order earn the right to play their football afterwards. Rotherham by contrast were really up for it. Notts were stunned by the first couple of goals and realistically - with a man sent off - they were never likely to make a contest of it. After around thirty minutes the game was all but over as a spectacle.

Bishop showed some authority, leadership and professionalism in the middle of the park but there were too many posted missing on the night. As Dean Yates said on the radio afterwards, Curle could have substituted ten of them...

I was quite impressed with Rotherham who played some very nice football allied to plenty of graft. Their striker Nardiello had a fine game as did a few others.

Seems a bit churlish as he has done pretty well but I'm still a little unconvinced about Curle. There was nothing he could have done with what was I'm told was practically a full-strength Notts side last night though. As soon as they crossed that white line they were chasing shadows all evening long.

We hope for better for Notts.

I know it's no excuse Micheal, but an away trip to Aldershot aint the best incentive of a money spinner that I could think of. Man U / Chelsea at Meadow lane might have been !!

I have this horrible feeling in my water that all is not right at Meadow lane again (behind the scenes that is)

I have this horrible feeling in my water that all is not right at Meadow lane again (behind the scenes that is)

You may be right, I'm not sure but there are certainly a lot of rumours circulating the city in that respect about Forest currently...