The 82 mph light blue Invacar. Production of these disability cars actually ceased in 1977, but they remained in use until the 31st March 2003. The government deemed the car to be no longer road worthy and ordered them to be scrapped. However, you can still pick up a "Barn" find like this one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect there is another issue here too. Before all of the legislation, organisations like bus operators and British Rail (remember them?) used to take a bit of pride in going out of their way to lo

Babs you are right about the buggy giving disabled people a degree of independence. Right now my wife is using it to travel to the hospital to see the physiotherapist. Before the buggy I had to drive

Blimey 3_wheels, I had forgotten about those.

3056032.jpg

I have mentioned elswhere remembering seeing a disabled trike a bit like a recumbent trike but steered and pedalled with hands. It was covered in black waterproof canvass. Probably issued to a disabled war veteran. I only ever saw the one in Skellingthorpe Lincs where my dad kept a pub. A strange sight for a toddler, and it has been in my memory to this day. And that would have been from early 1950s?

They were death traps. I had an uncle who was badgered by a former colleague to get one after suffering a brain haemorrhage. Fortunately he had enough ink in his pen to know that he could never again be sure of staying in control of any vehicle. The argument went along the lines of "forget all of that nonsense - independent mobility is your right." Yes, I also remember the disabled trike with the waterproof apron.

Wasn't it Graham Hill that launched a program to eliminate them - and replace them with "normal" cars with adaptive controls? I think automatic Minis were the first ones.

The scheme is now called "Motability" IMMSC .

You pay so much (about a grand) towards a new car and the government stumps up the lions share.

I know that it's wide open to abuse as I bought an ex motability car a while back. less than 6 months old and with less than a thousand miles on the clock. Cost new £16,000, I paid 8K for it !! The previous owner didn't want to drive anymore but had been persuaded to get one by a relative then flog it !! Made themselved a quick 7 thou profit ! (Or there abouts)

Oh and Mercedes are the folks behind "Smart Cars" . In my last job I delivered all the reconditioned engines for them all over the country. The best part about it being they were that light that I actually took one on a train to Bristol once as they were that easy to carry! Saved a fortune, train ticket 40 quid return , compared to £50 worth of diesel.

Going off a bit at a tangent, our doctor in Long Eaton always made his house calls in an Isetta bubble car, that must have been about the same size as a Smart. Any offers of pics? He was a tall lanky guy, and watching him unfold himself to get out was a sight to behold.

But now come to think of it, I have seen one like above where the driver pulled and pushed left and right levers, alternating, pulling left back and pushing right forward, and V/V.

Fynger yours must be the luxury version

Found a picture of the one from my childhood.

I remember a central column with hand pedal chain affair.

The column also steered the front wheel.

disabledtrike.jpg

I've only ever seen one of these. My dad was in royal navy, we went down the Portsmouth to see him off. On Portsmouth and Southsea station was an old lady driving one, that would have been around 1957 -59

But now come to think of it, I have seen one like above where the driver pulled and pushed left and right levers, alternating, pulling left back and pushing right forward, and V/V.

One of these Mick?...A neighbour had one of these in the fifties.I can see him now..around 80,grey haired,covered with a tartan blanket.Must've put muscles on the old biceps.

pushch_zpse1185239.jpg

The scheme is now called "Motability" IMMSC .

You pay so much (about a grand) towards a new car and the government stumps up the lions share.

I know that it's wide open to abuse as I bought an ex motability car a while back. less than 6 months old and with less than a thousand miles on the clock. Cost new £16,000, I paid 8K for it !! The previous owner didn't want to drive anymore but had been persuaded to get one by a relative then flog it !! Made themselved a quick 7 thou profit ! (Or there abouts)

Oh and Mercedes are the folks behind "Smart Cars" . In my last job I delivered all the reconditioned engines for them all over the country. The best part about it being they were that light that I actually took one on a train to Bristol once as they were that easy to carry! Saved a fortune, train ticket 40 quid return , compared to £50 worth of diesel.

Motability users don't own the cars! They're not theirs to sell!

It's effectively a hire contract with Motability where a persons mobility allowance is used to pay the contract, which lasts for three years. When the user is finished with the car, either because the three years are up, or they can no longer use it for some reason, it is sent to auction and the proceeds go to Motability as OWNERS of the vehicle.

The up front fee can be paid to upgrade the type of car, although a good number come with no upfront fee, just the weekly payment.

The very one poobear.

I bet they'r worth a fortune now?

Which is why the rich will always be richer antique wise....I'll bet there are dozens around the country that used to belong to 'The Old Duke' that can be found in an old stable 'somewhere on the estate'...Whereas old TVs, bikes,wheelchairs,prams etc belonging to the lower orders in their small houses would have been scrapped many years ago through lack of space.

Motability users don't own the cars! They're not theirs to sell!

It's effectively a hire contract with Motability where a persons mobility allowance is used to pay the contract, which lasts for three years. When the user is finished with the car, either because the three years are up, or they can no longer use it for some reason, it is sent to auction and the proceeds go to Motability as OWNERS of the vehicle.

The up front fee can be paid to upgrade the type of car, although a good number come with no upfront fee, just the weekly payment.

Blimey Charlie, that was a lucky escape I had then , as I've sold it now !

A few of our members (Mick2me, Denshaw and Plantfit , to name but a few) have all been for a ride in it too !

Love to know how they got away with it, as it clearly said "Motability" in the previous owners details on the log book. (As I said in my post it was only 6 months old, they said they didn't want to drive any more) I'm sure if I find the reg somebody on here will be able to find the details for us

Thanks for that. I thought I might be having to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life ............... slywink

my car is owned by mobility leased for three years thenas long as still elible get a new one depending on what car you choose depends how much you have to pay from 0 to about 5000 pounds you have to pay your disability or mobility allowance each month to mobillity butall you have to worry about is petrol, if you choose to buy your own car all you get is road tax on a dissability badge you have to pay for your own insurance ect so this may be were your point about it saying disability came from beeffy only the road tax not the car belong to goverment and you will then still be paid your mobility allowance you can use anyway you choose.

i remember mr hill the only black man in netherfield sitting in his out side jackie bells field every day as we came home from school unless the weather was really bad . his had a big blacl hood and appron like a pram as well as his blanket when it was cold or damp.