Ilkeston? Bad Boy Rock Band.

Saw them many times, Sherwood Social Club, and other places. Also at the Bier Kellar as the eidleburgers

Anyone remember them?

I cant find an image on the internet.

The only mention is here. www.bandsreunited.biz

topleft.jpg

Band CARLS FABLES Band Member DOUG POWDRILL

Year 1970,s Location ILKESTON

Message ANY OLD FANS OR BAND MEMBERS OUT THERE

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I am in the wrong forum but read a lovely note from a girl who loved Neil of the Heidelbergers..........he is my brother, Tomo on here..............I always hated him.................all the g

Hi all I've only just heard about this site and wanted to let you know about the humble beginnings of Carl's Fables as I was a founder member. Can't remember the exact date but it was around 1966 whe

carls fables I first saw carls fables at the Carlton hotel in the sixties and was hooked with the band right away. I saw them three times a week all over Notts . miners welfares, working

Posted Images

I can remember going to the Royal Banquet Hall on a Christmas do in 1990. They were well known for singing the one called I am the Music Man. I think there full name was Carl and the Idleburgers, I am sure they came from Cotmanhay.

A ;)

As Carl's Fables, the lead singer Carl, I assume, was a cross between Joe Cocker, with the mannerisms of Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson, except standing on two legs.

Ian Anderson

Ian_Anderson_Flute_Thing.jpg

The peak of the Fables performance was a rendition of Jeff Becks 'High Ho Silver Lining'. Their performance ended with Carl breaking a red ink capsule in his mouth. Finally with 'blood' streaming out of the corners of his mouth onto his chest under strobe lighting. There would be a blinding flash and explosion.

The audience were left blinded. Upon recovering their sight a few seconds later to find the stage empty. Great Trick Huh?

Carls Fables is also mentioned in another Topic Famous 60's Groups In Nottingham, The Boat Club

• 1 year later...

Wasnt the name spelt Karl and the Heidelbergers? I worked with the band at least a couple of times....cant remember where tho'! For a long time they were resident at The Bier Kellar in Nottingham. Carl was totally mad on stage, as previously noted, a cross between the mannerisms of Ian Anderson, and Joe Cocker. I also remember him sticking on a fake tongue, which added to his " madness!"

Yes, it was Karl & the Heidleburgers, a sing along band based on the german Beir Kellar theme. nicknamed Carl & the idlebuggers

Saw them loads of times down at the Beer Kellar in Nottm on a Friday night opposite Midland Station and many a time at the Royal Hotel for our Christmas bash.

" I am the music Man" etc etc - great showman.

Total nutter really - but a good laugh smile2 Christmas is not the same now :(

How many more coincidences can be dug up? I did the inaugral ball at the Royal when it first opened, and also many more over the years supplying Radio Trents "Electric Gramaphone" for lots of doos, i wonder if yours was one of them?

• 2 months later...

Well, Well, Well, what a suprise. I havnt much time at the moment and I could go on with this for some time. Anyway here is a bit of it. My name is Neil Tomlin, I was an original member of Karl & The Heidelbergers and played with them for about 10 years on and off. 7 years at the keller and 3 years here and there giging. The original line up was: Carl-front man vocals. Neil(me)- Accordion. Wilf-drums. Graham- suzaphone and Gerald(Dougie)-Trumpet. The line up changed through the years and we were joined by Terry-Trumpet, my broyher Alan- Suzaphone and accordion. Clive (Wilfs son)-Drums.

Dougie Powdrill dept in on drums now and then and so did many outstanding musicians believe it or not. One of which was Geralds mate Danny longstaff on Trombone, he is now head of the BBC light orchestra. I am now based in Florida after entertaining in Tenerife for 10 years. I am playing for Disney untill the end of may when I rejoin Royal Caribbeans Legend of the Seas. Still never had a propper job! Well thats it from me for a while. I will upload some old photos when I next visit my Parents in Nottingham.

Neil

Fantastic Neil.

Can't wait fer the photo's.

Have a good trip on the cruise.

THats what Google does for yer.

Welcome Neil

Great to have you aboard.

Look forward to more info on Karl & the boys.

I remember seeing them at The Sherwood Social Club, and a Barbecue

at a marquee at Holm Pierpoint in the 70's

Florida Huh?

Dont blame you, weve just come back.

Which part?

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the delay but I'v been on working on Royal Caribbeans Legend Of The Seas for the past 8 months. Anyway, just a quick one, my brother sent me this out of the post not so long ago. I`m the one with the Hair...........

post-537-1200674163_thumb.jpg

Were you with them when Alan revived it in the early/mid 80's (Mardi Gras) I worked there during this time, (the fellow on the back left I recognise) We had 'Karl and the Heidleburgers' one week and 'The Amazing Bavarian Stompers' the next. Happy days eh

Great photo Neil - I can hear you all now.

Umpah, Umpah, umpah um pah pah etc etc !jumping!

I was Jack of all trades, doorman, Cloakroom, money taker, glass collector (Had to grab them sharpish too, cos when you lot started playing they'd get kicked left right and centre) I even ran the kitchen for a while, My girlfriend at the time was behind the bar.

We used to have a regular coach party in (From Grantham I think) and you used to play their theme tune GNO. GNO. GNO. (Girls Night Out) to the tune of 'here we go'

• 3 weeks later...
Ilkeston? Bad Boy Rock Band.

Saw them many times, Sherwood Social Club, and other places. Also at the Bier Kellar as the eidleburgers

Anyone remember them?

I cant find an image on the internet.

The only mention is here. www.bandsreunited.biz

topleft.jpg

Band CARLS FABLES Band Member DOUG POWDRILL

Year 1970,s Location ILKESTON

Message ANY OLD FANS OR BAND MEMBERS OUT THERE

Is that the beer kellar that was down towards the station - God I had so forgotten that!!

• 1 month later...

There was a band called Wheels. Others that I remember from the 70's, apart from Cisco and Gaffa, would include Down To Earth, Limelight, Medium Medium, The Hormones and the wonderful Fatal Charm

These might be from the 80's (not sure) - Dawn Trader and Plummet Airlines.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a band called Wheels. Others that I remember from the 70's, apart from Cisco and Gaffa, would include Down To Earth, Limelight, Medium Medium, The Hormones and the wonderful Fatal Charm

These might be from the 80's (not sure) - Dawn Trader and Plummet Airlines.

Plummet were definitely 70's, and does anyone remember Some Chicken??,Cycle Annie, One Million Fuzztone Guitars ??

Goin punk on yer !!

sketch

The Left lion take on the Nottingham music scene -

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/id/613

If you remember Mark from Some Chicken / The Chimneys he passed away in 2006, there's a nice lirttle article here, you want page 16.

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/issue12/leftlion_issue_12_web.pdf

The Left lion take on the Nottingham music scene -

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/id/613

If you remember Mark from Some Chicken / The Chimneys he passed away in 2006, there's a nice lirttle article here, you want page 16.

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/issue12/leftlion_issue_12_web.pdf

Great site Zab thanks (picked up some facinating facts,) but they missed the most important Nott'm music connection of all, the ' front man' of "Tight Fit" came from Carlton!!!!!!!!!