• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I am in the wrong forum but read a lovely note from a girl who loved Neil of the Heidelbergers..........he is my brother, Tomo on here..............I always hated him.................all the g

Hi all I've only just heard about this site and wanted to let you know about the humble beginnings of Carl's Fables as I was a founder member. Can't remember the exact date but it was around 1966 whe

carls fables I first saw carls fables at the Carlton hotel in the sixties and was hooked with the band right away. I saw them three times a week all over Notts . miners welfares, working

Posted Images

Steve Grant went to Frank Wheldon Comp in the same year as me (But I don't remember him)

• 2 months later...

Hya Pete...know you well....bet you cant remember me tho....didnt you use to work in the stores at Stanton?...remember seeing you hundreds of times...superb nights out...Annesley, Blue Ball Risley, loads of memories...i have been it touch with Carl...I am now living in Cornwall...have you any old recordings...or can you do a list of your old songs?

regards, Tony

• 1 month later...

We used to see Carls Fables at the Thornhill Club I think it was called in the mid sixties,,, they also had Paper Lace there etc.

Incidentally, the first time I saw Bonzo Dog,,,,,, was at the Dancin' Slipper in about '65.

---:---

Tony: Roughly where abouts in Cornwall ?

We used to go and watch Carls Fables at the carlton hotel late 60s early 70s. Also on there at the time they used to have Exit and The Clockwork Toys. Me and hubby were on bikes at the time and also used to go to the discos at carlton forum,then we went further afield to the Astor Club and Forest Folk at blidworth and stop off at the all night cafe (white Post) on the way back for chip butties!

[Aaaaah,,,, The Carlton Hotel,,,, or as we called it "the New Pub". When I was a kid, I lived up Campbell Drive (just along from the New Pub). Both the building site, & the great car-park after building, were our playgrounds.

Later on, we would also go to the White Post,,,,, quite often to watch some rally or race flying past.

Whereabouts you from Chrissy (just roughly) ?

When I was a kid it was owned by the Reacher family of Nott'm Forest fame (I went to school with his exeedingly spoilt brats)

Chrissy is in the Netherfield area (or was)

And the Forum Disco .....Saturday night carnage. I only went a couple of times and both times there was a mass brawl

Hi bazzer. As beefsteak says i live in netherfield but originally from carlton. I was born at the top of cavendish road(not literaly) and lived there till i was nealy 21. My hubby was born on gladstone street.

Chrissy: I did see Netherfield on your stuff on the left,,,, but as you mentioned The Carlton, I just wondered. Strangely enough I spent a lot of times at the top of Cavo,,,, both when I lived in Carlton, & when I moved to Gedling (just down Freda Ave).

Seeing as we're on a music theme, a couple of Ten Years After came from around there also,,,, there was going to be another World Famous band,,,, but we couldn't decide who would play the drums !!

I also smashed up my new car (well,,, new to me - a Riley Pathfinder (ex police car) on that bad bend just down Westdale Lane. It was Christmas Eve (or christmas day by the time I got to the hospital). I almost cut my car in half with a lamp-post,,,,, if i'd been wearing a seat belt - I would have been killed,,,, the doctor that stiched up my face was doing cart-wheels down the ward,,,, trying not to spill champaign ! He didn't inspire much confidence !

all the best

We used to see Carls Fables at the Thornhill Club I think it was called in the mid sixties,,, they also had Paper Lace there etc.

Incidentally, the first time I saw Bonzo Dog,,,,,, was at the Dancin' Slipper in about '65.

---:---

Tony: Roughly where abouts in Cornwall ?

I remember 3 Baz's from bike days Big Baz,about 6'6 and 20 stone, now sadly deceased, Middle Baz (still big) and Little Baz (still big!) Any Paper Lace Fans should listen to a rare Hendrix Track called 3 Little Bears (not Baz's!) bit too much of a coincidence! Late 70's/early 80's I was involved with a band called Soveriegn, had great guitarist, think related to an aborigine as he went walkabouts playing solo's with about 100 yd long lead! have great photos of him still playing in a phone box middle of bulwell market whilst rest of band blasting away in the horse and jockey! this was era of "gimmicks", with 5,000 watt light show (orange boxes with bulbs in!) and flash bombs, one night at star and garter, manager who set such up on holiday, wasn't sure how much gunpowder to use so added "a bit more" just in case, result similar to hiroshima, singers fringed jeans smouldering, phil the guitarist shouting "I've gone blind! I've gone blind!" audience climbing out through windows and fire alarms going off! Chrissie, "husband born on gladstone st" I knew a few bikers off there, probably before your time but does he recall Hayley Mills visiting there?

Hi ashley. dont know how old you are but my hubby was born an gladstone street and i dont think he had got to his biking days when he left there and moved to the house on the corner of ramsdale road opposite the westdale tavern. He used to go in the SNUG at the front of the pub with his mum and dad. Can you remember the SAVAGE famliy from the top of cavendish road?

Hi ashley. dont know how old you are but my hubby was born an gladstone street and i dont think he had got to his biking days when he left there and moved to the house on the corner of ramsdale road opposite the westdale tavern. He used to go in the SNUG at the front of the pub with his mum and dad. Can you remember the SAVAGE famliy from the top of cavendish road?

sorry only knew basford area

ASHLEY: You are a couple of years older than me ash,,,, but i'm about 6ft (or shrinking a bit now !?). I went from a thunderbird (with chair) to a racing Itom,,,, to a lambretta !!!

Are you from around that area ?

Did you frequent the Thornhill Club ?

CHRISSY: We had a Savage in our class at Gedling School,,,, Margeret I think. I guess she'd be about 60 now !

Do either of you know Kluk ? He lived on Freda avenue,,,, real name was Klutko (dad was a white russian).

Mick Kluk is a good friend of ours. small world intit? x

There wasnt a margaret in the savage family but my middle name is margaret. My youngest brother is barry who now plays bass guitar in a rock band, he is 54,then comes steve who is 57 and lives in gedling,then sister sue who is 62,then i had 4 brothers who have all passed away,mick,ron and peter were 3 of them. my next to eldest sister is pat and my eldest sister is shirley.x

Mick Kluk is a good friend of ours. small world intit? x

There wasnt a margaret in the savage family but my middle name is margaret. My youngest brother is barry who now plays bass guitar in a rock band, he is 54,then comes steve who is 57 and lives in gedling,then sister sue who is 62,then i had 4 brothers who have all passed away,mick,ron and peter were 3 of them. my next to eldest sister is pat and my eldest sister is shirley.x

We had a Christine Savage in Ashwell street junior school. I sat next to her in class for a while. Don't know if she would still be in Netherfield. If so she would be 62/63 now.

Dave

ASHLEY: The one on Glasshouse Street ? Yep. We saw Ambrose Slade there one night. Can't remember a great deal about the place tho' - I think I only went a dozen times or so to see live bands.

CHRISSY: Do you still see Kluk ? He was my best mate. Give him my regards & tell him that Baz was asking about him. Explain it's the Baz that moved to Cornwall,,,,, ask him for stories of our pasts as well,,,, you might enjoy them !!!

It sounds as if I should know some of your family,,,,,

BS: Any pictures of Carlton Central School ?

Best I can do at the moment (Is that you front row second right ???.................I'll get my coat)

oldcarltonstuff007.jpg

cheers mate,,,, a great piccy.

Just out of shot to the left is the main gate. That wall faces onto Burton Road & is the 'Top' playground.

Going down the left of the main building, past the 'haunted house' on the left,,,, (built onto or into the boundary wall) and one of the main entrences on the right, took you to the 'Bottom Playground'. This was a few feet higher than the Station Road pavement below. There were a couple of swings in that yard.

Following the building around brings you up the other side, past the Girls Entrance gate on the left & another main entrence on the right (tho' I don't recall this entrence being used - but could be wrong) which then brings you back into the top playground.

Just along Burton Road was another bike shop (I think they also sold electrical goods) called Rutherfords. I think their family had something to do with inventing the video recorder !

,,,,,, and No, I wasn't in the top photo,,,, but look closely at the bottom one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I remember 3 Baz's from bike days Big Baz,about 6'6 and 20 stone, now sadly deceased, Middle Baz (still big) and Little Baz (still big!) Any Paper Lace Fans should listen to a rare Hendrix Track called 3 Little Bears (not Baz's!) bit too much of a coincidence!

Another coincidence - I called my pet monkey 'Hey Joe' after another Hendrix single. Which LP is 3 Little Bears on ? I only have one Hendrix LP but I can't remember which it is. I used to have a boxed set (Pink) which was quite rare,,,, but I lent it out,,,,,,,,,

ASHLEY: The one on Glasshouse Street ? Yep. We saw Ambrose Slade there one night. Can't remember a great deal about the place tho' - I think I only went a dozen times or so to see live bands.

CHRISSY: Do you still see Kluk ? He was my best mate. Give him my regards & tell him that Baz was asking about him. Explain it's the Baz that moved to Cornwall,,,,, ask him for stories of our pasts as well,,,, you might enjoy them !!!

It sounds as if I should know some of your family,,,,,

BS: Any pictures of Carlton Central School ?

Hi baz. Yes we still see mick now and again. He used to live off emerys road just after where speedo used to be but hes moved now,not sure where to.

DAVE. i went to westdale lane infants and junior school and then cavo! And i am 55 so the girl you mentioned at ashwell street school must be my namesake! x