• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I am in the wrong forum but read a lovely note from a girl who loved Neil of the Heidelbergers..........he is my brother, Tomo on here..............I always hated him.................all the g

Hi all I've only just heard about this site and wanted to let you know about the humble beginnings of Carl's Fables as I was a founder member. Can't remember the exact date but it was around 1966 whe

carls fables I first saw carls fables at the Carlton hotel in the sixties and was hooked with the band right away. I saw them three times a week all over Notts . miners welfares, working

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Not been in here for a couple of years and a real shock to hear about Carl I knew Carl very well, though I've not lived in Nottm for over 40 years now. (See post #69) I DJ'd alongside Carl and the Fables at the 360 Club, the Carlton Hotel and various 'one off' gigs way back. I still have my old 1969 diary listing Carl's Fables as a regular Sunday evening booking at the 360 Club. Just phoned my old 360 mate Dave Pickering who is never online and he too is very upset to hear this news. My thoughts go out to all of his friends and family.

Col

Hi all

I've only just heard about this site and wanted to let you know about the humble beginnings of Carl's Fables as I was a founder member. Can't remember the exact date but it was around 1966 when myself Dave Windmill (lead guitar) joined up with Johny Oats (rhythm guitar) and Pete Bell (bass guitar). Later we were joined by Doug Powdrill on drums but we didn't have a singer. So I approached Carl, who at that time was singing for a band called Chips, and he decided to join us. And so the band and name Carl's Fables was born.

I stayed with the band until 1969 during which time we gigged all over the Nottingham area, playing with the likes of Sons and Lovers, and Long John Baldry. I have fond memories of my time with the band and if anyone is interested I have some of the old photos available. I've tried attaching one that was taken in 1968 but the file was too big, but if anyone wants to see them please e mail. I've even got a gig list fron my diary in 1967! Also I was the only band member from Cotmanhay but Doug came from Ilkeston.

At the time of writing I heard about the sad passing of Carl last week. He was a great guy. May he rest in peace.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Have enjoyed wandering through this thread. Particularly te references to Carl and doug (Powdrill) if memory serves........I never did get to make his wardrobes!! A nice man as I recall who loved the Ronnie Corbett monologue.

My news is probably old and registered here already. I apologise if that is the case.

Carl sadly died about a year ago after suffering with 'Parkinsons disease'.

The other member here known as Tomo is my brother, I like him was a Heidleburger as opposed to idlebuggers as some here say.

Someone here also asserts we were from Cotmanhay, no, all from Nottingham other than Carl who was from Wallasey near Liverpool.

Carl would speak about his Fable days which he remembered with fondness. Doug the drummer would occasionally play with the Heidelbergers.

In my time, the Heidelbergers over time comprised two trumpeters, Gerald and Terry, two Sousaphone players, Alan and Graham, two drummers, Wilf and Clive two Accordion players, Neil and Alan with all sorts of guest performers, there was only ONE Carl.

lovely to read the information here, wonderful memories........as Pete the manager was oft to say.........we'll go on at 7 and work backwards..........it's like moving the dead.........sadly many including trevor now are......dead

Alan

• Upvote 2

I think I am in the wrong forum but read a lovely note from a girl who loved Neil of the Heidelbergers..........he is my brother, Tomo on here..............I always hated him.................all the girls adored him and me, home each night on the bus by myself!!!!

• Upvote 3

Lol.............sorry Lainie...he lives on Tenerife now

.owns a restaurant and tours the world playing...............I wonder if I knew you.........I was the ugly one in the band!!!

and I couldn't afford chips it was a hard life being famous you know...........lol

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2006 at 1:28 AM, mick2me said:

Ilkeston? Bad Boy Rock Band.

Saw them many times, Sherwood Social Club, and other places. Also at the Bier Kellar as the eidleburgers

Anyone remember them?

I cant find an image on the internet.

The only mention is here. www.bandsreunited.biz

topleft.jpg

Band CARLS FABLES Band Member DOUG POWDRILL

Year 1970,s Location ILKESTON

Message ANY OLD FANS OR BAND MEMBERS OUT THERE

I can remember a band called Carl's Fables from the late 60's and through the 70's saw them many times around the Nottingham area, I remember he had a really good guitarist named

John Holmes, they did a very good version of the Tim Rose song Morning Dew, the last time I saw them was mid 70's I think they were the resident band at the Dancing Slipper in West Bridgeford then.

• 2 years later...
On 4/4/2008 at 3:08 PM, Peterbell said:

Hi Guys

I was the bass player in the original band.

Carl - Singer

John - Lead Guitar

Doug - Drummer

Pete - Bass

I have quite a few memories if anyone would like to know anything inparticular - Just mail.

Do you remember the "you've shit on a frog" routine?