Doorstep Deliveries

How about the Pop that was delivered with a wire stopper that was resealable latch down type.or even older was the ones with the glass marble in the neck.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely memories. Southglade Road on Bestwood Estate we had:- Milk. Co-op I think, though possibly later Northern Dairies or somesuch. Bread. Co-op. Fruit and Veg. A Co-op van at least weekly..

I used to go to Marsdens on Carlton Road for my Mum. They. Had a big red slicing machine for the cooked meats and bacon, my Mum always had hers cut on number 5 so it was all nice and crispy. Marsdens

We had doorstep deliveries back in the 50' and 60's at Hucknall - the milkman, breadman, paper lad, Corona, rent collector, Insurance man, catalogue collectors and the odd hawker when my mam sent me t

I remember "Redgates" coming with a 'different' type of stopper on them, it was only a screw top but it also had an extra rubber seal on it too, the stopper itself seemed to be made of something other than soft plastic , a lot harder material IMMSC.

Re the Italian ice-cream connection, the Solari family were well represented in Victorian Nottingham. Mr john Solari was a local councillor in the late 40's and early 50's. Capocci family also well known, more for catering and cafe's.

You used to be able to get lots of deliveries to your door. Apart from bread, milk, soft drinks etc. Davenports beer at home used to be very

popular. One of my favorite delivery people used to be a lady who came round with a horse and cart selling milk which she measured into your jug with a pint measure, beleive she was from a farm on Mapperley top.

Dennis

I can only remember back as far as the 70s, but when living with my Nan & Pop in Bilborough, we regularly had the Corona pop man round, and friday nights the chip van came round just in time to eat your chips and gravy whilst watching Auf Weidersehn Pet.

Sigh, happy days, eh, Soulgirl. I remember the pop man and chip van going down Andover Road in Bestwood in the sixties and seventies, when I stayed over at my Grandma and Grandads as a boy.

• 4 weeks later...

:) There was a time when the Co-op's Beechdale Dairy float would deliver bags of potatoes to many an appreciative housewife; also Peter, my regular Co-op milkman would deliver knitting wool ordered from Marjorie - his wife - who owned a wool shop just off Hyson Green. Used to love ordering different colours, different plies of wool from Marjorie and eagerly anticipated them being left on the doorstep, courtesy of Peter. :biggrin:

PS: Well Done Me; I've earnt my Crown: 2,000 postings. I'm going to sign off now and go celebrate with a drink. :cheers:

• Upvote 1

sadly the beechdale dairy is now a housing estate and the old leyland volvo bus depot will also be built on, i live on the 1990s wimpy estate next door and i find it can be a ghost town at night now the dairy and garage has gone.

does anybody know what was on the land that my estate (beechdale mews) was built on?

Congrats Christine on your 2,000th Post :)

To whit #46

A well earned CROWN.

Coop Beechdale dairy GONE!

I remember 1975, I was installing new Cheese Room Chillers.

The boss came at lunch to deliver the wages, hung around for a while kicking his heels?

Then Took me to one side to say... "Mick I am sorry to tell you, we are making you redundant...

You will finish this job wont you?"

Yeah Right!

What about the big wicker baskets that the bread delivery men used to bring the bread to your door.

Remember the Co-op bread man at RoT used to bring a selection of bread loaves from his van to the back door in a large basket, similar to the attached picture but from memory, more sturdy and of a heavier construction: -

A394.jpg

• Upvote 1

well done christine i got less than 300 to go now before im crowned too.thats if someone dont cron me first for keeping awake.

the baskets i remember were simmilar to the cockle mans basket

sadly the beechdale dairy is now a housing estate and the old leyland volvo bus depot will also be built on, i live on the 1990s wimpy estate next door and i find it can be a ghost town at night now the dairy and garage has gone.

does anybody know what was on the land that my estate (beechdale mews) was built on?

IMMSMC was woods there before, used to play down there as a kid & remember them being built on in the 60s.

Does anyone remember the 'Redgate' pop delivery vehicle? 50s/60s

piggy sez redgates used to be opposit whitehart in lenton behide the cottages they just pulling down corner of leen gate were grahams pluming bathroom supplies is at the moment a bit before my time though.

:biggrin: Hi Babs, lovely to see you posting - keeping our small contingent of women posters going - and I hope you and your family are well. You'll soon be Crowned - I assure you it's not a painful job. :biggrin:

PS: Babs, I'll let you into a secret: it feels real privileged having the beautiful Crown beneath me, so hurry up and keep posting.

:biggrin: Hi Trevor @ #49: lovely photograph of the Baker's Basket; I remember one similar that the Co-op Bread delivery man used. I recall it being packed with stuff: bread, cakes and muffins. My mum gave him a weekly regular order of Eccles cakes much to my chagrin - couldn't and still can't stand the things! thumbsdown