Doorstep Deliveries

Ian. It was the best part of 60 years ago! Not our game anymore I think. We're just the 'olds'. who nobody listens to.

About 20/25 years ago I went down to the little kids play area that was there at the bottom of Southglade Rd, near the Sports Centre. I was wearing a 'High Pavement Bicentenary'. sweatshirt. I heard some kid say 'He never went to High Pavement'. I ignored him.

A little while later he said it again., so I decided to ak him what he meant.

He said I couldn't have gone to High Pavement because I was too old and it was a recent place on Gainsford Crs.

I gave up.

Col

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely memories. Southglade Road on Bestwood Estate we had:- Milk. Co-op I think, though possibly later Northern Dairies or somesuch. Bread. Co-op. Fruit and Veg. A Co-op van at least weekly..

I used to go to Marsdens on Carlton Road for my Mum. They. Had a big red slicing machine for the cooked meats and bacon, my Mum always had hers cut on number 5 so it was all nice and crispy. Marsdens

We had doorstep deliveries back in the 50' and 60's at Hucknall - the milkman, breadman, paper lad, Corona, rent collector, Insurance man, catalogue collectors and the odd hawker when my mam sent me t

DJ360

#97 Ice cream in the 50s/60s was sold by Pearson's. But when Mr Softee/Mr Whippy arrived.. they seem to have disappeared. Mr Whippy/Softee also sold Crumpets.. for some bizarre reason. (Though as a kid. we always called them what sounded like Pikelets, but I've since found should be 'Pieclets'.. except that 'Pieclets' are a Yorkshire thing and not the same as Crumpets.)

I think the ice cream company was Pearces, they morphed into Mr. Whippy and as you say the other company they owned was Golden Crumpets operating out of premises just off Lincoln Street Basford, not quite so bizarre though, both business were mainly seasonal so they had summer and winter covered. As a schoolkid I helped my dad on the vehicle repairs Whippy's used Commer diesels with a rear donkey engine running on TVO for the ice cream machine. Golden Crumpets used Thames Traders. Roger Pearce (the son) later owned Brownhills Motors in Bulwell.

• Upvote 1

Why the heck were pikelets a season food? I had an aunt who worked at the pikelet factory, but only part of the year. I'm sure they are available all year round nowadays, but why weren't they before? Did we consider them a winter food?

Kath,

Pikelets are available all year round now, the ones we have at home are called crumpets same thing slightly different shape.

I had an office in Birmingham for about 15 years and they used the term 'you pikelet' meaning an extremely stupid person. Not to me I might add, well at least not within earshot.

• Upvote 1

@davep5491. Thanks for the info on Pearce's etc. I had no idea.

Col

• 6 months later...

I used to go to Marsdens on Carlton Road for my Mum. They. Had a big red slicing machine for the cooked meats and bacon, my Mum always had hers cut on number 5 so it was all nice and crispy. Marsdens was on the opposite corner of the street to the newsagents where I got my Bunty comic from. Lots of. Shops on Carlton road I remember from the 1950,s. A couple of sweet shops where we would ask to see the penny tray and spend ages choosing. Sunblest bakery, auty's veg shop where the owner would tell us stories about her daughter who was a ballroom dancer and won many competitions. A boy I was at school with was called Andrew Priestly and his family owned the fish and chip shop next to Hogarth School where I was a pupil. We all used to walk in a line from Hogarth School to the dinner canteen on St Matthias Road where I lived. Lovely memories. People seemed so much nicer back in those days, I think it's because nobody had much. We used to entertain ourselves too.

• Upvote 3

Yes worked at that one Dido,........the Marsdens sign high up on the corner was still there when i last looked a few years ago..

• 4 months later...