Hi. I trying to locate a map of around 1910 of Brook Farm Sneinton Hill were the Kerry family lived. I have purcashed a couple of the Godfrey maps but the farm land just about on the border of each map! I am starting to write up my family history of our time in and around Carlton Rd and the farm is proving to be both mapless & photo less at the moment...any help would be great and once i learn how to publish images i will send some out of the family in the market sq.

Sneinton Dale is the main connecting road through the district. The area is famous for the windmill which stands on Sneinton Hill, and harbours Green's Windmill and the Science Centre.[1] Near the windmill there used to stand the now-demolished Nottinghamshire County Lunatic Asylum, later a boarding school named King Edwards, and now the location of King Edward Park.

King Edwards boarding school was run by famous head master Alfred Tanner and his wife Mary. Many of Sneinton's children were killed in industrial accidents at King Edwards, which stood for 117 years. King Edwards School also employed Sneinton resident Arnold Booth, the infamous murderer who was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1977 for the murder of Renee Howard, and rumoured to have murdered Lucy Tinslop, the victim of the infamous 'Birthday girl' murder on the Bath Street rest garden, which took place in 1969.

I hope that this article will be of help to you.

• Upvote 1

Greens Mill was built on what was known as 'Sneinton Hill Cliff Ton...One of the famous landscape paintings of Nottingham (forget which) was also said to be painted from the vantage point of Sneinton Hill

I had a feeling it might be Windmill Lane, but the area isn't actually named as Sneinton Hill on any map I looked at. Looking at the Old Maps site there are quite a few places shown which might be Brook Farm, but they aren't specifically named.

I am a member of Bromley House library and been thru the map room and have found Brook Farm but only half shown, its approx where the Shell Garage is opp the old Manvers School,(wish i could get the hang of posting images) After looking thru the site i have found what i need!

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

The farm is just above the brick works

found Brook Farm but only half shown, its approx where the Shell Garage is opp the old Manvers School,(wish i could get the hang of posting images)

Posting an image in your post using remote hosting from Photobucket.com

Surely the Garage you mention is near the 'Marmion' Estate?

deja vu moment here in 2 ways, could swear blind I've already read the post re the murderer and the girl on bath st park, and replied to it! not only that but also that I questioned the dates of the girl's deaths as I know I heard a story thus from a then girlfriend when we visited her married sister who lived nearby, on I think Gordon Rd? it was first time I had been in that area and we split up in 1964 so before then? Strange? (not been to pub or partaken of other things etc,lol)

Thanks all.....I am being seroius how did you know that my Uncle..well great Uncle Albert lived there???? He was born in 1901.

You wait till I tell you how many times your GGGGGG/Father Ichabod slept with Nell Gwynne when the King wasn't looking... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

WELL COME TROOPER KERRY.

LOOKING AT THE MAP BROOK FARM WAS AS MICK SAID WERE THE MARMION ESTATE NOW STANDS .IN THE 50S EARLY 60S THIS AREA WAS ALL ALLOTMENTS POSSIBLY PART OR ALL OF THE ORIGINAL FARMLAND

True, I'd missed the reference to Bakersfield.

But......there are some aerials titled "Findern Green" which is close-ish to Bakersfield, and on the pictures titled "Cropwell Green" I think you can see Brook Farm, which is where we came in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have just joined the site after reading your posts because I wanted to share a picture I have recently received of Richard Kerry and family at Brook farm in about 1910.

post-4903-0-62384000-1358336916_thumb.jp

Regards