At junction of the Ring Road and Radford Road.

Renamed to the 'Windmill Bar' 1981

Then to 'Thingymajigs and Wotsits', from 1985

Q1: What was the original name until 1981?

Q2: What was it's name from 1989 until 1992?

I'm told it is now a McDonald's!!!!!!

Fond memories for me, as it was the first Nottingham pub from which I was banned. :crazy:

Cheers

Robt P.

Photo by Reg Baker, 1985

post-30-1136736089_thumb.jpg

I remember it was called the shoulder of mutton , then changed to Nottms 1st fun pub , which was packed solid but made no money due to the artists they where putting on , door staff and most of the bar staff dancing on the bar instead of serving beer .

The DJ and might have also been the owner was Chris King who went on to have a number 1 record " please don't go " i believe it was called Ziggy's bar or Ringo's bar before closing down .

It was indeed originally called the 'Shoulder of Mutton'.

The bars you name were perhaps part of of the pub from 1989, when it was renamed 'The Rocket'.

It closed as a pub in 1992....

Cheers

Robt P.

I remember as a kid,a week after Goose Fair we had Basford Wakes.On the car park of the pub was the dodgems,octopus,noah's ark a few kiddies rides and side shows.After that we would all go off to Billy Bacons field where the rest of the fair was held.

Basford Wakes is no more sadly but it was good fun and lasted a week.Does anyone else remember it?

Yes, I went to the Basford Wakes on a few occasions.

I'd quite forgotten that the largish pub car park was used.

Weren't some of their rides also placed around the railway station, across the road?

Reckon the venues that the fair folk dispersed to, following Goose Fair, is a whole subject in itself!

It was understood that the majority of the rides and shows went on to Hull, said to be the largest fair in the country, "How can it possibly be bigger than our Goose Fair?", we thought!

In the late 60's I recall going to the post-Nottingham Ilkeston Fair, which occupied the whole of the Market Place and trailed right down Bath Street.

IIRC, there was also a small fair that used a field by the A611 opposite the 'Bone Mill' at Bulwell Hall.

Cheers

Robt P.

Talking to Basford lad at work today about this topic he tells me the trolley bus from town centre to Bulwell market place which ran via the shoulder of mutton was locally known as the Rocket , also all the windows on the Rocket where engraved with the initials CK so maybe Chris King did have something to do with it .

Yeah I remember this pub very well, I lived on Heathfield Estate at the time so regularly walked by it when I took my son to Whitemoor Nursery. It was called The Shoulder of Mutton at the time & went on to be called Windmill bar whilst I was still there. I lived in the area from 1977 to 1989 & saw a few changes, it was indeed a Mcdonalds the last time I visited Nottm.

• 10 months later...
it was indeed a Mcdonalds the last time I visited Nottm.

I nipped into the very said Mcdonalds the other day to use their toilets , i was confronted by a spotty teenager mopping up what looked like vomit .

On the back of his T-shirt it said " I'm lovin it ! "

Funny , but the poor lads face told a different story .

• 1 year later...

It was understood that the majority of the rides and shows went on to Hull, said to be the largest fair in the country, "How can it possibly be bigger than our Goose Fair?", we thought!

The Hoppin's that is held in Newcastle is another that lays claim to being the biggest.

• 1 month later...
I remember as a kid,a week after Goose Fair we had Basford Wakes.On the car park of the pub was the dodgems,octopus,noah's ark a few kiddies rides and side shows.After that we would all go off to Billy Bacons field where the rest of the fair was held.

Basford Wakes is no more sadly but it was good fun and lasted a week.Does anyone else remember it?

I lived in the Basford flats from 1968 - 1973.

We lived on the 7th floor of Auburn Court flats. Looking out of our kitchen window we looked straight down onto Basford Wakes (when it was on) I remember in the early '70's listening to Donny Osmonds 'puppy love' over and over.

I remember the post office situated at the entrance of the field and Hammonds chip shop on the row of shops. Also further down the road there was the 'masons arms' pub and Mr Bearum's paper shop(no idea how to spell it) I remember buying my very first Cadburys creame egg from there for 2 + 1/2 pence.

Carole.

I lived in the Basford flats from 1968 - 1973.

We lived on the 7th floor of Auburn Court flats. Looking out of our kitchen window we looked straight down onto Basford Wakes

Hey, Carole

I can still see the Pink wallpaper on yer livin' room wall !laughing!

BasfordFlats2.jpg

BasfordFlats4.jpg

BasfordFlats3.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember having to use the footbridge over the railway then turn right and there was a field where the fair was held. There was a trolley terminus opposite the station - Number 37? It went up to Sherwood Rise then into the city centre.

There was a saying when someone said "It in't fair" you replied "It's not t'wakes either".

DaveJ

Krakow

Poland

(ex Sandhurst and Arnside Roads)

Yep - if we ever complained "it ain't fair" my mum would reply "it ain't wakes either". Wakes seems to be a very regional name for a small fair - even in Long Eaton they didn't use that name.!

I think that "Wakes week" originally had a religious connotation and was connected to the Patron Saint of the Parish church in the area where the fair was held. Up until the early 1980's, Ruddington wakes was still being opened by a procession and nominal service undertaken by the Vicar and choir from St Peters church. By this time though the service had become almost inconsequential to many and was finally discontinued shortly after the installation of a new parish Vicar.

• 1 month later...

Nice to see people remember the Windmill Bar.

As correctly mentioned above, before that it was called "The Shoulder Of Mutton"

I can also confirm, that the Windmill Bar fun pub officially opened on October 26th 1981

I was both the original DJ and Assistant Manager. Had some great times there met some great people, saw some great acts.

Once it became "The Rocket" and "Thingy Ma Jigs", I had nothing to do with it, as I'd left by then so can't help on any info during that time.

Cheers

Drew