Selling your car number

Has anyone done it? or know how to? Have tried a search but all I can seem to find is firms who want to do it for me and take a large percentage of the price, As I understand I can sell myself and pay a fee to DVLA, but what happens next? do they give you a new "log book" with a new number in it and you just buy new plastic plates? and will the new number have same year letter? reason I'm asking is been offered a bike, more than I want to pay, however has a number plate similar to ones said firms want over a grand for, if I can clear 250 it'll make the bike realistic

DVLA sell them and might give you an idea of its worth?

DVLA Personalised Registrations - Buy private number plates direct ...

Ebay is a possible, and there are online dealers, I was on a business course with one.

As you say probably high commission.

Exchange & Mart used to have a big section at the back?

You should be able to arrange 'Cherished Transfer' yourself through DVLA

• 3 years later...

You see a lot of dubious cars around nowadays with the front number plate removed.

I suspect it's to evade capture on the ANPR system.

Cars in Italy do not need to display a front number plate. Mind you, that DOES NOT apply to Italian cars in England unionflag

Unless he is from one of the American states that only requires rear number plates (I jest). I have katyjay's old Arizona front number plate on my garage wall.

I have done a few, provided it is transferable then get a V317 form from DVLA or big Post Office or download one.

Follow instructions and you then have the number for a period of time.

You do not need to involve any dealers or brokers.

You see a lot of dubious cars around nowadays with the front number plate removed.

I suspect it's to evade capture on the ANPR system.

I've noticed them. Always the same type of car driven by a certain type of person.

What they often do is have the number plate lying loose across the top of the dashboard; then, if they are questioned about it, they can say "it fell off and I haven't fixed it back in place yet".

• Upvote 1

Most unusual reg I saw was on a Rolls Royce at the cattle market, just one number, I think it was 8, had a look at the tax disc and that too said 8 so no joke or whatever, I always fancied a private no. plate but so expensive, it's far cheaper to change your name by deed poll, Ashley YV06CYA

• Upvote 1

Dave Hill, the Slade guitarist had at one time YOB 1. Nice one!