Tv Heroes Of The 60's

At some times on certain nights, the streets were devoid of kids. Why?

The latest hero was playing on the small screen.

I remember sitting glued to the box, awaiting the arrival of in those days a

'camper' and if I might say better version of...

BATMAN

But wait a minute!...

Can it Be?...

Smash! Bang! Wallop! Kerang!!!

Holy 'Walk the white line' Batman!

What happened to the Batmobile?

post-14-1090093290_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get an almost complete boxed set of The Avengers - have a look on Amazon or somewhere. It includes all but some of the very earliest series pre-Cathy Gale when Ian Hendry was in it. It was ATV

Posted Images

Batman was great but for me it was those wooden heros from the mind of Gerry & Sylvia Anderson......

Mike Mercury & Supercar

Steve Zodiac & Fireball XL5

Troy Tempest & Stingray

and finally

The Tracy Brothers and their Thunderbirds!

I remember leaving a school Christmas party early so I could watch the latest episode of Thunderbirds........

!englandflag! Cisco Kid, Lone Ranger, Hawkeye & the last of the Mohicans, Circus Boy (Korky), Cannonball,Whirlybirds... all in black & white, but full of 'real lfe' adventure!!

easy question, who played circus boy? and whilst we're at it who was the battery boy?

Was Circus boy Micky Dolenz (Monkees)? !englandflag! and Torchy was the battery boy..............

!bravo!

And who remembers Mr Piper ?

!bravo! Would that be Mr Piper from Hamlin? Who lived in the Pied Piper House? !rotfl!

In a Parrots voice , "Piper, Fiddle diddle , here's a riddle"

And he used to sing in a beautiful Baritone voice.

"Come with me , come and see , all the wonders there will be, in my stories , in my songs " etc etc etc!!!

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Yeah, my brother and I loved it, my mother hated it. We got sick of her wingeing on about it, so one day we noted the credits and wrote a letter to MGM Studios informing them that our mother was a passionate fan and would love to join the U.N.C.L.E organisation. She got a letter back from the studio, signed by Ilya, Napoleon and Mr Waverley, a load of agent certification from Mr Waverley and her own personal yellow triangular badge, wish I could remember her number, 10 I think. Along with that came all the paraphenalia including one of those funny pens that they talked into and an identification card that we insisted she put in her handbag in case of emergencies. She wasn't impressed, we bloody well were, we couldn't believe it.

I know that after that, an official club was formed, but our mum was the first, I reckon that she's still got the envelope hidden away in her top drawer, I think she was secretly impressed, not everyday that our Ethel from Wollaton got a personal letter from Hollywood.

Blue Peter, Record Breakers and a serial cirrca 1970 called "Adventure Weekly" about a gang of kids who ran their own newspaper (Years before "Press gang" stole the same idea!!)

Anyone remember this classic: 'Please Do Not Adjust Your Set' a so called childrens TV programme on ITV by Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, later on with cartoons by Terry Gilliam. It featured the first TV appearances of David Jason. Prominantly involved were the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band ( Listen to 'Shirts' ) and Bob Kerrs Whoopie Band.

It coincided with our 6th form days, 67-69, and was the talk of the school. The origins of Monty Python, it kicked the general run of kids TV programmes out of the window, we couldn't get enough of it, thursdays at 5:30 I seem to remember. How could anything compete against that at the time, depending on your age and point of view of course, ITV were very brave to take it on, I bet they received a considerable amount of flak and were happy to consign them to BBC in the end.

Re the Man From Uncle, I thought it was good at the time but seeing Robert Vaughn in The Bridge at Remagen (yet again) I was reminded what a wooden unconvincing actor he really was (is? as recently just as bad in that con artist crap on TV) The Avengers was my fav with it's star Ian Hendry

Just watched a load of them again recently.....well funny

Ever seen the Bonzos live Fynger, I've seen Zep, Floyd, Stones, whatever, but the Bonzo's were really something else, Viv Stanshall, for all his faults, is very much missed, a real genius of taking the p1$$ out of rock, jazz, contemporary, classical, pop music, life in general and getting away with it, very dificult to achieve in whatever era, he, fortunately, was at his best at the right time and it worked.

The BBC have always nailed the feathers to their mast of 'The Divine Comedy', clever lyrics? but pretty sad in comparison to the outrageous Bonzo's, the Beatles appreciated their genius, look out for their performance of 'Death cab for Cutie' in the Magical Mystery Tour film.

All this in a childrens programme, amazing, I can't see it happening again, they would be banned.