Tv Heroes Of The 60's

Remember Jack Hargreaves? used to get a ten minute slot after the midlands news then I think he got his own half hour show on Thursday evening after the news, about country life, fishing, birds and wildlife in general, I also think he had a young lad with him at one point, the idea being that Jack would show the youngster the delights of the countryside

Rog

PS someone has just bought out a boxed set of DVDs of all his programs, must treat myself to that

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get an almost complete boxed set of The Avengers - have a look on Amazon or somewhere. It includes all but some of the very earliest series pre-Cathy Gale when Ian Hendry was in it. It was ATV

Posted Images

Blakes 7 and the original Star Trek.

Or were they in the 70's?....mmmm can't remember - but I can remember that posh evil bird out of Blakes 7...nice....

Just before i came on and read this ...we've just watched 2 episodes of Jack Hargreaves' OUT OF TOWN program....all about his fishing and his horses.....Such a laid back old dude.

Re:- Bonzo's.....yep saw em live a few times..brilliant....also Niel Innes when he went solo.....Anyone Remember INNES BOOK OF RECORDS....wish i could find some of them to watch again.

I remember another of Jack Hargreves programmes was called "Country Boy" , he took a lad from the 'sticks' and educated him in the ways of the country, fishing ,rowing, etc

• 3 weeks later...

Let's go back a bit further! What about the time before T.V. could be afforded? I remember the threepenny rush at the 'Forum' cinema on Aspley Lane when 'Flash Gordon', 'King of the Rocket Men', 'Roy Rogers', 'Hoppalong Cassidy'

and more were the heroes. It was a good afternoon's entertainment, along with Laurel & Hardy, the Three Stooges and a selection of cartoons to be seen. I have photo's of Flash Gordon (Buster Crabbe); Emperor Ming (Charles Middleton);

and Laurel & Hardy on the bedroom wall. There's also a photo' of Ginger Rogers to show I have a serious side.

God I'm getting old!!!

Ye Gods Tomlinson, you're pulling up some stuff here, Ginger Rogers on your wall, thats impressive.

Just heard on the radio that Julie Andrews is about to grace the UK TV screens with her sugary, artificial presence, can't wait.

Here's a couple for the aviation gang,,,,,,, "The Aeronauts", a French programme dubbed into English , loads of Mirage and Mystere action, and "Rip Cord" can't really remember any story lines from either of them, but it was aeroplanes!!

I can still remember the English theme tune to The Aeronauts.

Here's a couple for the aviation gang,,,,,,, "The Aeronauts", a French programme dubbed into English , loads of Mirage and Mystere action, and "Rip Cord" can't really remember any story lines from either of them, but it was aeroplanes!!

I can still remember the English theme tune to The Aeronauts.

I can't remember The Aeronauts, when was that shown then.

Aircraft wise, I recall 'Whirlybirds', an American kids programme on in the week during the 50's/60's featuring Pete and Chuck, pilots of a Bell helicopter that went wizzing around the Californian desert performing deeds of derring do, I can still remember the theme song, 'Dat de Dah de diddley dee'.

Then on saturday nights after the football results we got 'Gary Halliday' about a British civilian adventurer/pilot who I seem to remember flew around in a Dakota being good while being persued by the baddy, a rotund character called 'The Voice'. Funny what you remember, the actor playing 'The Voice' died suddenly mid way through the series and had to be replaced, all you ever saw of him after that was a shadowy figure sitting in rooms with the light off.

Eeeh things were good in them days.

Oh, I forgot, there was an Australian series in the 50's/60's? called 'The Flying Doctor', which was all about, well, the flying doctor in the outback attending to remote and life threatening situations, never a dull moment.

What about the 'Prisoner'? Be seeing you.

There are 6 new prisoner episodes just come out....supposed to explain alot about it.....I have them....not watched em yet....

We're watching 'Timeslip' at the mo....( remember that one ??? )

• 1 year later...

Watch with Mother circa 1964? The Woodentops with Spotty dog, Sausage Dog, Andy pandy, teddy & louby Loo, Bill and Ben of course and a bit later, tales of the riverbank. Tinga and Tucka with aunty jean (woomerang boomerang)

Ok then , "Aunty Jean's" surname was "Morton"

"Willy Wombat" was their co conspirator and the theme tune went something like .

"Woomerang Boomerang , look over there , it's Tinga and Tucker the two little bears"

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Nah never saw it !!!......... slywink