KWS - Nottingham Groups

Guest scooterboy

MOVED FROM TOPIC Famous Hostelry, Many ID Changes!

The DJ and might have also been the owner of the 'Windmill Bar'  was Chris King who went on to have a number 1 record " please don't go " i believe it was called Ziggy's bar or Ringo's bar before closing down .

K W S had his own record producing company in Nottingham. somewhere near little tennis st. I did a few deliverys into london for him, and scrounged a few white label and DJ only albums off him. :ph34r:

post-30-1136810440_thumb.jpg

Yes I remember KWS, saw them at the Palais, 80's?

Were they a 'one hit wonder'?

With lyrics like this, you can't miss

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Babe, I love you so

And I want you to know

That I'm going to miss your love

The minute you walk out that door

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Babe, I love you so

And I want you to know

That I'm going to miss your love

Please don't go

Don't go

Don't go away

Please don't go

Don't go

I'm begging you to stay

If you leave

At least in my lifetime

I've had one dream come true

I was blessed to be loved

By someone as wonderful as you

Please don't go

Don't go

Don't go away

Please don't go

Don't go

I'm begging you to stay

Hey, hey, hey

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Babe, I love you so

And I want you to know

That I'm gonna to miss your love

Please don't go

Don't go

Don't go away

Hey, hey, hey

I need your love

Down on my knees

Beggin' you please, please, please

Don't go

Don't you hear me baby

Don't you leave me now

Oh no, no don't go

Please don't go

I want you to know

That I, I, I, I love you so

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

Please don't go

I'm not sure about this feller, but when I lived in Oz, I recall Please Don't go, being a hit of KC and the Sunshine Band who most certainly weren't "one Hit Wonders"

Did I miss summat??

Guest scooterboy

Not being a one hit wonder band... Although they are best remembered for Please Don't Go they actually had seven top 40s including Rock You Baby, Hold Back The Night and Ain't Nobody.

That Des Walker Rumour... When Please Don't Go topped the charts in the early 1990s it was rumoured the song refers to Des Walker departing Nottingham Forest. Chris says that people were always asking them who the song was written about and it was just the office joke that it was written about Des. He says it was just a rumour that got into the public domain.

Their sudden rise to fame... One Wednesday they were doing karaoke in Nottingham. Three Wednesdays later they were appearing on Top of the Pops at No.1. He says: "It was unreal. We went in at No.30 with no radio play whatsoever. It went up to No.9 but we still didn't get any TV on it but a bit of radio and then it went to No.1 and they had to give us TV then cos we were No.1. We didn't even know where the Top of the Pops offices were. Hadn't got a clue. We turned up in this old beat up Sierra."

What they expected when they released the single... He says they didn't expect anything and that they were just happy to get their name on a record. "We were happy to reach the top 40. We were over the moon at the No.1."

Appearing on Top of the Pops... When they first turned up at the BBC studios they used to celebrity spot in the BBC canteen. However, they went back five weeks running with Please Don't Go topping the charts. He says : "One week we had the No.1 dressing room and Elton John had the No.2 dressing room and he was going crazy - he always had the No.1 dressing room and we'd got it."

Not having a copy of the chart-topping single... Luckily Chris' kids kept all the press cuttings about the band in the papers. However, he admits he doesn't actually have a copy of Please Don't Go as people kept blagging copies off him. "I had a big box of them at one time but over time I've given them away to people."

What he's doing now... He's into vinyl. He's got a factory in Nottingham and makes about 60,000 12 inch singles every week. He concludes : "I'm too old for the other side of the music industry so I'm now making records for all the majors because believe it or not there are no majors who own a pressing plant any more. They all thought it was old news."

Ive found this info on BBC NOTTINGHAM IF IT HELPS. :ph34r:

KWS Discogrophy.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/K.W.S

That link is not BBC, and does not work.

Page not found

Oops! It looks like you followed a bad link. If you think this is a problem with Discogs, please tell us.

There, see? we did not know they had more hits.

I used to be fan of Elton, but not of recent years.

Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago I was in my favorite shop...

Canterbury Records

Colorado Blvd, W of Lake St Pasadena CA

"Lots of *unusual* stuff! Mostly gone over to CDs, but still has quite a few LPs, mostly of non pop/rock type stuff. Very small used pop/rock LP section"

There I was quite shocked to see NEW LP records on sale for in excess of $30.

Last year I picked up a secondhand double album by Bette Middler for 25c.

The records were perfect as new, but the front cover had scribble right across it.

When I got it home I found that the scribble was Bette Middler's Signature smile2

Yes, Vinyl is the way to go. B)

Guest scooterboy

Sorry what i meant was i got the write up about K W S from the bbc not the discogrophy. sorry for any confusion there :ph34r:

Your right the link isn't working.

Can't Get Enough Of Your Love (12") Network Records

Hold Back The Night (12") Network Records

Hold Back The Night (The Joey Negro Mixes) (12") Network Records

Please Don't Go (12") Network Records

Please Don't Go (CD5") Rough Trade Germany

Please Don't Go (12") Next Plateau

Please Don't Go (7") Network Records

Please Don't Go (CD5") Network Records

Please Don't Go (Cassette Single) Network Records

Please Don't Go (The Album) (CD) Next Plateau

Rock Your Baby (12") Network Records

Rock Your Baby (12") Network Records

Can't Get Enough Of Your Love (12") Network Records

Ain't Nobody (12") ZYX Music

Ain't Nobody (Loves Me Better) (12") X-Clusive Records

It Seems To Hang On (7") X-Clusive Records

Ten Per-Cent (2x12") X-Clusive Records

The More I Get, The More I Want (12") X-Clusive Records

The More I Get, The More I Want (2x12") X-Clusive Records

Not counting the 65 other records tapes and cds that they were on.

lots of useless info there but not to worry :ph34r:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/K.W.S

That link is not BBC, and does not work.

Page not found

Oops! It looks like you followed a bad link. If you think this is a problem with Discogs, please tell us.

There, see? we did not know they had more hits.

I used to be fan of Elton, but not of recent years.

Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago I was in my favorite shop...

Canterbury Records

Colorado Blvd, W of Lake St Pasadena CA

"Lots of *unusual* stuff! Mostly gone over to CDs, but still has quite a few LPs, mostly of non pop/rock type stuff. Very small used pop/rock LP section"

There I was quite shocked to see NEW LP records on sale for in excess of $30.

Last year I picked up a secondhand double album by Bette Middler for 25c.

The records were perfect as new, but the front cover had scribble right across it.

When I got it home I found that the scribble was Bette Middler's Signature smile2

Yes, Vinyl is the way to go. B)

And here I am going to "clean" my vinyl collection up and "burn" them to CD Mick!

Got me a copy of Adobi Audition 1.5 ordered, now all I have to do is order a load of audio CD's, a new diamond stylus and I'm in business.

I haven't seen any vinyls in record store in years Mick, until this thread was started I thought no one produced them anymore.

Still if you like the pops and clicks, more power to you, I personally hate them. ;)

I've got loads of vinyl I'd like to digitise.

Most of it Soul music, some very rare.

However, The above emporium, I have been able obtain 70's Rock albums like new, for less than $1, usually 29-49c. I could never afford them in the 70's.

I've got loads of vinyl I'd like to digitise.

Most of it Soul music, some very rare.

However, The above emporium, I have been able obtain 70's Rock albums like new, for less than $1, usually 29-49c. I could never afford them in the 70's.

I used to buy an LP every other week in the 60's, I still have a copy of Sgt Peppers from when it was first released plus a double EP of Magical Mystery Tour when that was first released!

• 1 year later...
MOVED FROM TOPIC Famous Hostelry, Many ID Changes!

K W S had his own record producing company in Nottingham. somewhere near little tennis st. I did a few deliverys into london for him, and scrounged a few white label and DJ only albums off him. :ph34r:

Chris is part of the regular line up at The Regency soul night in Ilson, and is also up at Donny 23rd December for that doo with Kev Roberts and me....(see calendar for details)

Delroy Joseph, an old chum of mine was the lead singer, and was working at "Do It All" on Perry rd Basford when the song hit number 1!

• 2 weeks later...

Re KWS. One of the band, I think his name was Winston Williams ended up a heroin addict and a down and out around town. He was often on Clumber Street about 2 or 3 years ago and was in the Evening Post for putting McDonalds windows in. Not seen him for a while though.

• 2 months later...

The bands i remember from the late 60s are EXIT.THE TOYS and CARLS FABLES who used to play at the carlton hotel. Carl from the fables went on to be Carl and the heidel bergers. (oompah Band )

The bands i remember from the late 60s are EXIT.THE TOYS and CARLS FABLES who used to play at the carlton hotel. Carl from the fables went on to be Carl and the heidel bergers. (oompah Band )

There is quite a write up re Carls Fables / Heidleburgers else where on here chrissy, and one of the musicians is also a member here.

• 1 year later...

I watched it and always close my eyes at that bit to 'play along'. I nearly didn't recognize him, god he's aged (I worked with him on a couple of occasions during my D.Jing days. A bit too up his own a**e for my liking!!)

Chris King KWS & Classic Lambrettas was on last nights Buzzcocks - turns up about 18 min in .

Never Mind the Buzzcocks

I meant to mention this a week or two back, Chris told me he was going to be on, just as he handed over to me at The Westgate Suites last month.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 17 December 2007 at 1:18 PM, sham69 said:

Re KWS. One of the band, I think his name was Winston Williams ended up a heroin addict and a down and out around town. He was often on Clumber Street about 2 or 3 years ago and was in the Evening Post for putting McDonalds windows in. Not seen him for a while though.

Not true Winnie is a very smart well dress pleasant fellow who I have known for years still lives in sunny Radford. You may have confused him with the Nottingham singer Whycliffe who is often seen singing for money around town, he's harmless, remember their all Gods children.

https://www.leftlion.co.uk/read/2005/january/what-happened-to-whycliffe-401

• Like 2