Ye Olde Moo Cow Milk Bar, Carrington Street

Hugo123,

I posted about this cafe somewhere before without any response.

In the winter of 1962/63, I arrived at Nottingham Midland station, first stop was at The Old Moo Cow, a welcome sight as we were homeless, and it warmed us after a long train journey and set us up searching for a flat in the Meadows.

I would be grateful for any pictures that you have?

On 1/2/2013 at 7:40 PM, Hugo123 said:
Hi, My dad owned the aformentioned Milk Bar throughout the war years and well into the 60's . Does anyone remember it? and does anyone have any photos?

I used it regular in 1952-1955 then I went into the army,national servis.The other side of the canal bridge was one of those funny shops that sold sex aids..sex shop, bridge, moo cow..I am not to sure about how to use these sites as this is the first time ive tryed them but I suppose if I make a start I will get accustomed to it..yes we always used to meet at the Moo Cow before we went up town..those were happy days, when every body spoke English, not like now with all this muticultar society,still thats life.I shipped out to france 9yrs back..Born and bred in st annes, lived on Westville st..Sorry no photos but I did see a shot of the "Moocow" in BYGONES publisted by the Nottingham Evening Post You could give them a ring to see if they could help..Hope you have some luck.Bye for now

• 10 months later...

In the 50s my mum worked at the Moo Cow. We lived in the Meadows and we would walk with my dad along Wilford Road to the canal and then by the side of the canal to meet my mum after she finished work at the Moo Cow. There is a photograph out there somewhere as I spotted it a while back on the internet. It is specifically of the the Moo Cow and there is a motorbike parked outside - now if only I could find it again...

• 1 year later...

Used to sell them at Marsdens Sue...................3d

Remember going in the 'Moo cow' in 1960 when i was a 'Van lad' at Midland station,counter at far end adjacent to the 'Juke box' ,

Might be wrong but i think it was still called 'Moo cow' in recent years ?

Didn't The Portland used to be in that row somewhere ?

God, what a comedown, I stayed there a few times in the late 60's, and it was a dump then.

I remember the Gresham back in the late 50s and it was considered a posh place back then.............can remember swank cars and suits and ties outside the place and I used to pass it twice a day for at least 5 days a week back then.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

Yes, that stretch of Carrington Street has actually improved over the last few years.

And further in the distance, the old Broad Marsh Centre is being flattened and its replacement is an improvement on the 70s monstrosity.