• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my opinion there should be more posts about cardigans on here?

Just come across this topic. My dad used to embroider and I remember a huge tablecloth he did it was beautiful. My mum used to knit so I continued to knit making myself all sorts of clothing. Bot

If it helps Radfordred I'm just knitting a cardigan for a baby due in February, she will be my first great neice, and my brothers first grandchild

I used to knit loads. Knitted shawls for my babies (they had one each which they now use for their own babies), layettes and all their winter woollies. Then I seemed to have no time during their teenage years but picked it up again last year and made 3 knitted advent calendars, 2 Christmas jumpers(To make them squirm thumbsup ) and a Christmas cushion out of the oddments. Now onto baby things again for another expected grandchild. Love it. Very theraputic.

Been away and finally catching up with the forum, can't resist joining in this thread [no pun intended] I have been knitting nigh on 60 years now. My mum taught me, she knitted all my cardigans, jumpers etc and as a teen, I knitted all my cardis, jumpers, twin sets, and some dresses and skirts etc. At that time it was cheaper to knit than to buy, plus wool shops would put away all your wool for you, and you could go in and buy a ball or 2 at a time as funds allowed. I mainly used one at the Canning Circus end of Alfreton Rd, run by some sisters, as it was across from my bus stop and very handy. I knitted all my baby wear and children's wear for my kids. It's very relaxing, I knit while watching the telly at night, hate to just sit there and do nowt!

Id love to learn how to knit cardi's and jumpers for paige! i only know how to do the pearl stitch... Got to get learning some other stitches when iv finished this blanket! Bought my self some chunky needles, trying to start another blanket, but as iv casted on a good 300 times, its taking a while lol

My niece is a big knitter - but the only thing I can find interesting in the hobby is that they meet every Tuesday evening HERE!

Click on "Facilities", then scroll down to "Clubs"!

:biggrin: Remembering my Great Aunt Gert of Forest Fields: she was a marathon knitter and well into her 80's, in fact I think the knitting must have kept her going - as she lived by herself.

Aunt Gert knitted a vast amount of men's jumpers and cardigans for my grandma. Every Saturday night, grandma and grandad would catch a bus in Aspley and visit Aunt Gert up in Forest Fields, take her a quarter of chocolates and perhaps a few skeins of wool to keep her going.

PS: now there's a memory, with the mention of the word 'skeins'; many's the time I had to aid my mum - arms out, thumbs alert - when she was transferring the skeins into balls of wool. :biggrin:

Kept us out of mischief.............................'skeining', often had to help mum with that one, realise now it was a true 'labour of love'............. :laugh:

pixie grannie squares very easy once you have got the hang of them and i find they are much quicker than knitting squares once you have done the first row i can do one in about 15 mins and you can use up all your oddments of wooli have still got blankets i made for my sons before they were born my eldest will be 37 this year. my mother in law showed me how when i first got married

going to have ago at some granny squares once iv finished this blanket. got a draw full of balls of wool, partner came home last night with another ball of each colour im using for the blanket, how nice of him! deffonately have enough to finish and possibly plenty more left over

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd look this thread up again, as I am presently knitting again, after a years break....last year was all about getting on with a tapestry which I had started over 20 years ago and then got left as children and horses took up my time. Then I saw a magazine The Art Of Knitting advertised, showing a lovely throw of all different patterned squares, so I decided to subscribe to it, as I have nearly finished the tapestry ( though plenty more unfinished needlework to be completed too)

In the last month I have knitted myself a yoga top, very snuggly, and now am onto the throw. There are some lovely ideas in the magazine so looks like I shall be busy for some time to come with projects old and new.

• 6 months later...

If it helps Radfordred I'm just knitting a cardigan for a baby due in February, she will be my first great neice, and my brothers first grandchild :jumping:

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...

Just come across this topic. My dad used to embroider and I remember a huge tablecloth he did it was beautiful. My mum used to knit so I continued to knit making myself all sorts of clothing.

Both mum, dad and I eventually had knitting machines and they revolutionised the style of clothing. I made jumpers,hats, scarves , socks and gloves with fingers and even pleated skirts for my daughter. My brother was in the army and was instructer for one type of weapon. My dad designed the pattern to use with the knitting machine and promtly began to knit him a jumper. It caused a very worrying reaction, the officer in charge called my brother into his office and demanded to know where he'd got the jumper from.

When my brother told him that his dad had made it he demanded that every man in that group had one. Dad ended up making 40 of them. 

Me , I finished knitting a long while ago but took up dressmaking and made dance dresses for my daughters competitions and also for the girls in the school of dancing. Then I started cross stitch and made some beautiful pictures. Then old age slowly crept up and I cant stay looking down for long as my neck hurts me and of course eye sight although up to date doesnt help.

I still have one CS to finish, its the Angel of Winter. I'm determined to finish it as its so beautiful. Plenty of paracetomol and volterol.:wacko:

• Upvote 3

My maternal grandmother used to knit, sew and crochet. She tested the new knitting patterns for Bairnswear in Basford during the 1930s which was, apparently, a very complex task as the tension had to be precise. Much of the work she did related to baby clothes and children's wear. The finished garments were displayed, along with the patterns and wool, in the window of Griffin and Spalding in Nottingham who, presumably, sold both thus enabling people to knit their own clothes.

It was a skill that neither my mother, nor myself, inherited. I can barely thread a needle!

• Upvote 1

I used to knit all the jumpers for my children and for my mum when her eyesight worsened.  I also used to crochet, once making a bedspread, which we still use in winter.  I also used to do embroidery but the tablecloths I did are too nice to ever use and I wouldn't want to have all the bother of washing and ironing them after use!   Same as the wedding present tea sets I have - I prefer mugs and the tea sets probably wouldn't go in the dishwasher anyway.  Perhaps the kids can get them out when they have the party after my funeral?    Don't think they'd bother doing that, though.  It'll all end up in a car boot sale, I expect...

I am not great at knitting,at present I am trying to knit a cardigan,it's taking forever.

My late husband showed me how to knit  ,he learned from his mother who knitted loads.

When we had been married a short while I knitted a jumper for my husband,it was terrible and was miles too big.He wore it anyway ,but only at home.

• Upvote 1

My knitting looks more like lace...lots of holes.

My grandmother's cousin, who lived in Garden Street, tried to show me how to make lace using a lace pillow and bobbins. It was fascinating. She had, prior to her marriage in 1918, worked at a small establishment in Lambley and did something called 'chevening' which was finishing socks and stockings by hand. She could make anything with wool or yarn but was often the subject of family jokes because her idea of economy went much further than most people's.

When garments such as jumpers and cardigans were worn out, she would  unpick them, wash the yarn and use the still viable areas of wool to make gloves and socks! When we pulled her leg about this, she would point out that when she was growing up at the beginning of the twentieth century, money was tight and no one was ever allowed to waste anything. There's a lesson there for today's Society, I reckon!

• Upvote 2

Sounds like self abuse and bondage to me nonna. Could prove embarrassing ! LOL

• 4 years later...