Iv been knitting for a couple of years now, but iv only ever knitted blankets and im currently working on a patchwork one for my daughter. My partners mum bought her a teddy from a craft fair that someone knitted and it looked lovely. Earlier this week i was thinking of something i could do this year to raise money for a charity, after seeing this and my enjoyment of knitting im thinking about learning how to knit little bears and such, sell them and give a % of what they sell for to a charity, Possibley the salvation army as i love what they do for the homeless and vulnerable or a childrens charity so at least my hobbie isnt gathering dust and i have something to aim for. Im off to buy some more wool tomorrow and look online for some free patterns so i can get practising!

Do we have any other knitters on the forum?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my opinion there should be more posts about cardigans on here?

Just come across this topic. My dad used to embroider and I remember a huge tablecloth he did it was beautiful. My mum used to knit so I continued to knit making myself all sorts of clothing. Bot

If it helps Radfordred I'm just knitting a cardigan for a baby due in February, she will be my first great neice, and my brothers first grandchild

Strangely enough and rarely admitted, but I've been able to knit since I was around 9 or 10 ! mum was a seamstress but did heaps of knitting, including professionally for a designer, in mohair, in Intarsia style, which items were then sold in Japan for extortionate silly money ! (my mum got a fixed fee per item)

I also used to watch gran, who was a lace worker and made beautiful items from lots of balls of thread, all by hand.

Must be in my blood as I have always loved making things, and being a practical person can pick up skills pretty quick. I get a lot of self satisfaction from turning raw materials into beautiful things or objects.

I have made jumpers socks cardigans you name it ! even taught my wife to knit !

I also sew with a machine, another skill I learnt early on from my mum, as i used to play on her old singer and then her fancy pro machines.

I still have a H Duty sewing machine with me now and do canvas and awning repairs, or make small bags and other bits and pieces.

I have never been able to crochet well though ! strange.

• Upvote 1

iv been asked to join in this knitting jumpers and hats for children and babies in Africa, can't wait to give it a go. iv only ever knitted blankets as I said in my OP so this should be interesting. how difficult is it to make cardis, jumpers etc? I can't wait to start on other projects. I find knitting really relaxing and rewarding once youv finished a project. I get laughed at a lot being only 22 and finding nothing more enjoyable than a pot of tea (or a cup of coffee) and abit of knitting. well... it's the simple things to keep you happy when your at home Sith a toddler all day every day lol!

I love abit of sewing too, I dusted off my sewing machine to take up my coils because they were too long for the window, last thing I used it for was a patchwork blanket and some cushion covered a made long before I moved house

My last knitting project will make you laugh.

I have 4 daughters, two of which are midwifes. Whilst doing their upgrade course from registered nurse to midwifery at university, the course required the girls to knit, or aquire an atificial boob ! yes a breast complete with nipple ! this was to use a s a teaching aid to new young mums, in the art of breastfeeding.

The boob is sewn up and then stuffed with dacron to represent the real thing !

My youngest having no knitting skills asked me to knit one for her, anyway I got the pattern off the net (yes there is pattern for same) When she went back to uni her friend wanted one, then another so ended up doing 20 of them at $8 each ! (my youngest has no practical skills but a business head)

A year later my second daughter took the same course and the teacher remembering the name asked if she was related to the other daughter, yes she says, " Oh is it your dad that knits the Boobs " lecturer asks.

Well I got another order for 40 of them as the course now supplies them to the students!

They said they will ring me when they require more ! Lol

Almost a mans dream project isn't it.

I have been knitting too since I was around 8, I never got taught how to cast off. Anybody have need of a 2000 foot long scarf............................ slywink

funny thing banjo i have never been able to knit but i do crochet it grows much quicker for me and i am always making baby blankets at onetime i could do two a week but know the artharitis in my hands means it takes me three to four weeks to make one used to sell quite a lot at onetime but wont take orders any more just do a bit if i feel like it to relax me,then when i finish one i put it in a plastic bag ready to start another then if someone asks me for one and i have got one i will sell it to them use money to buy more wool.

:biggrin: I love knitting when I have the time: I like to mix wools to create a tweedy effect. I've made patchwork quilts with knitted sections and rugs and cushions in the same way.

I play a game with myself when knitting: I like to see how many rows of knitting I can achieve in a certain amount of time.

My mum was an expert knitter; she could make anything: gloves, socks, jumpers, twin sets, skirts, not forgetting toys - dolls and teddy bears - and their clothes. I remember her making my sister and I beautiful, identical jumpers with pom poms, except that my jumper was turquoise (with me being fair haired) and my sister's cherry red (her being brunette).

Love sewing machines too. My grandma used a spare bedroom as her sewing room; I can still recall the clean smell of that room when I stole in there, to have a secret go on the fascinating treddle of her beautiful Singer Sewing Machine. :biggrin:

Yeah - me too. I can knit also (I even know how to cast on using one knitting needle and a thumb, and cast off - my mum taught me at about seven!) It used to be said the many lighthouse keepers would knit during their off-duty hours.

I did knit a dress (with cable pattern!) as a young teenager and then made some cardies for my two babies 30 odd years ago. Never attempted any knitting since then though, not sure I remember how to do it. My granny was brilliant and used to knit Arran sweaters for a company in Scotland. They paid her peanuts for each garment but she didn't care. All the men in the family got an Arran sweater at some stage too!!

:) Hi Stephen @ #9, did your mum teach you always to knit into the back of each stitch after the casting on row, in order to create a perfect foundation for the knitting that was to follow?

I also used to knit with one knitting needle.

Anyone remember French knitting?: I used to make my own base to knit on by using an empty cotton reel and 4 nails; I'd drive either my mum or grandma crazy by continually asking for used cotton reels, then I'd drive either my dad or granddad crazy by asking them to knock the 4 nails into the cotton reel!

It was all worth it, just to see the amazing rainbow wool I was knitting with, grow and grow and grow. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Hi Jackson. Yes she did, and yes I do! i.e. yes, she taught me to knit into the back of the stitches for the first row. And yes I also remember French knitting - but didn't it also have some fancy name - possibly for the bobbin with 4 nails?

Grans lace thread used to come on wooden bobbins and she used to make me the French knitting thing with the four nails.

We made lengths of the tube thingy and sewed it into coasters.

:biggrin: Hi Stephen and Banjo, sounds like you two are a couple of expert knits. :biggrin:

PS: Banjo, I used to get real carried away on my French bobbin and once made enough knitting to roll into circles, sew them together and make a rug.

PPS: John Lewis sell rainbow wool if any of you fellas are thinking of taking up your pins again but if you want some reasonably priced try: 'Poundstretchers' - £3 (something) for a great, big ball. :biggrin:

Wow!!...............................you guys/gals really knew how to live it up.................................did you also Crochet, or was that too exciting........ :happy:

7 squares into my patchwork blanket, its looking good already. I might try the french knitting thing! I want to learn how to crochet, iiv fallen inlove with the 'granny square' patchwork blankets/throws