• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found these online:

My wife was crowned Miss Bulwell Depot around 1962/3 at the depot's annual dinner dance. It didn't make the Dispatch though. She didn't make a career out of it either; just went to work in a knicker f

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

In the early 50s travelled regularly on the 39 trolleybus. Went from the stop outside the Elite cinema on Parliament Street, Derby Road, Ilkeston Rd, to the terminus at the shops at the end of Middleton Boulevard. Return was the reverse of that.. Got off at what was still called the "Turkish Baths". It was really the News Theatre . I believe there really was turkish baths on that site at one time.

Earlier had used the 36 from Mansfield Road ( incidentally what in another forum called Nottingham Road, was in my day Sherwood Rise, Nottingham road didnt start till the top of the hill)to the end of the line, crossed the road and got on a 43 to Bulwell.. Could drone on about buses in the 40s and 50s, but havent got enough space.

TA RA.

In the early 50s travelled regularly on the 39 trolleybus. Went from the stop outside the Elite cinema on Parliament Street, Derby Road, Ilkeston Rd, to the terminus at the shops at the end of Middleton Boulevard. Return was the reverse of that.. Got off at what was still called the "Turkish Baths". It was really the News Theatre . I believe there really was turkish baths on that site at one time.

Here's your baths and cinema http://www.pictureth...001424&prevUrl=

• 3 weeks later...

lupo, you haven't got the section "below" that showing the meadow lane railway bridges, plus the crossing and lady bay route have you? would love to see that

As I have mentioned before my map collection of Nottingham is quite extencive.

I have maps of that area from 3 differant periods(1880, 1915, 1952,) in 3 differant scales of the Meadow Lane area.

The 1880 map was surveyed just after the Lady Bay bridge was opened.

I have another 1880 map of the Meadow Lane/ Trent Lane area.(before the Nottingham Suburban & L.N.W.R. goods)

The 1915 & 1952 maps have all the railways/bridges in situ.

I'm sorry but I don't have can't afford a scanner at the moment...........................But I'm willing to get photo copies .(1880 maps would be £3.50ish each)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Compo in first picture that white van really could have been my Ford Thames that I bought in 1964,often parked around there,might have been in 'Penguin café,just to the rear of it,or more likely in 'Marsdens' to the front...........

Sandersons was further up main st Jim,........shop front still exactly as it was in 60s,......went to a Wedding reception upstairs there in the 60s,........yes went to some posh do's in me time y'know.....lol.

That's right. I had forgotten the upstairs 'dining room'? I think of Sandos every time I taste peppered gravy. Talking of posh dos, I went to a wedding reception in a shed alongside the Highbury Vale pub, but that was a touch above Sandos, I guess.

• Upvote 1

My wife was crowned Miss Bulwell Depot around 1962/3 at the depot's annual dinner dance. It didn't make the Dispatch though. She didn't make a career out of it either; just went to work in a knicker factory in the Lace Market.

• Upvote 4